Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Are All Intercoolers Created Equal?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 02:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Fixed the pictures, sorry about that guys.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 02:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ETS FTW, Thats the only one we use. Is been amazing on our 600,700,800 evos and soon on 900+
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:00 PM

Any thoughts on the Cosworth Intercooler?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 01:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Babi@Force-Fed
ETS FTW, Thats the only one we use. Is been amazing on our 600,700,800 evos and soon on 900+
Thanks!

Originally Posted by bigzz
Any thoughts on the Cosworth Intercooler?
They may be rare, I have not seen a lot around.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:38 AM
RiG
Evolving Member

I have a question about these thicker Intercoolers. Has anyone experienced any overheating problems with the thicker intercoolers? On my old 96 AWD DSM I had a 28x12x3.5 inch FMIC on it and the thickness and size of the intercooler blocked too much of the radiator and caused it to run a little hot with the A/C on, I dont want this issue with my Evo X. Thanks
Old Aug 4, 2011, 04:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RiG
I have a question about these thicker Intercoolers. Has anyone experienced any overheating problems with the thicker intercoolers? On my old 96 AWD DSM I had a 28x12x3.5 inch FMIC on it and the thickness and size of the intercooler blocked too much of the radiator and caused it to run a little hot with the A/C on, I dont want this issue with my Evo X. Thanks
It was very common on DSM's to have overheating intercooler using a Garrett core, the reason is the external fin design uses a tumbling technology which uses deflection to dissipate heat. By doing this it did not allow good air flow to the radiator. I'm very familiar with this since we started our business with the DSM market.

We designed our intercooler to have an offset and staggered fin pack which allows air to pass through the core to the radiator without sacrificing a ton of air flow to the radiator. By having an offset and staggered fin pack we allow the external air to split several times before making it through the core giving is great heat transfer area and air flow to the radiator. The new core we designed gives us a greater edge by giving us a few extra charge rows which in turn gives us more heat transfer plates.

Thanks!

Michael
Old Aug 5, 2011, 07:24 AM
RiG
Evolving Member

Ok. So no one is having cooling issues running your 4inch thick intercooler? Thanks
Mike
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RiG
Ok. So no one is having cooling issues running your 4inch thick intercooler? Thanks
Mike
I forgot to mention one of the main reasons... It's due to the Evo front bumper being designed around a front mount intercooler. The car already has ducting to push air to the radiator around the intercooler where the 1G and 2G did not have these air flow paths which caused overheating pretty easily. Sorry, I seem to be the only one responding.

Thanks!

Michael
Old Aug 6, 2011, 05:03 PM
RiG
Evolving Member

Its cool! Thank you for your responses! Yeah I know the DSMs were never really meant to have a FMIC but I just want to make sure on the Evo. On my DSM I had made ducting, cut vents in my hood, and did everything I could to prevent it from overheating, and it still ran hot. Maybe Ill just buy a new intercooler and if it over heats go back to stock. Because of your support, I know where Ill be buying my intercooler. Thank you

Mike
Old Aug 7, 2011, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Evos don't overheat even with big intercoolers, we have a very strong cooling system from the factory with bumper ducting designed with an intercooler in mind, plus the upper grill openings aren't filled with intercooler.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 07:03 AM
RiG
Evolving Member

Thank you, Kracka!!! I feel pretty confident about getting a new/bigger intercooler now.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Heck yes! loved reading this as ETS is building my 4" as we speak..wish it was here already!! lol Glad to get the additional positive feedback. I can vouch for their exhaust and ICP. Great quality parts that last.
ETS and MAP seem to be the way to go!
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by HPEVOX
Heck yes! loved reading this as ETS is building my 4" as we speak..wish it was here already!! lol Glad to get the additional positive feedback. I can vouch for their exhaust and ICP. Great quality parts that last.
ETS and MAP seem to be the way to go!
Thanks Man!
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
MAP FTW! Hahaha Actually just Adam.

-Adam
Old Aug 29, 2011, 02:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhdum!

Quick Reply: Are All Intercoolers Created Equal?