Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Are All Intercoolers Created Equal?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are All Intercoolers Created Equal?

I know obviously that thicker intercoolers, i.e. 4.0 instead of 3.5 arent but between brands i guess.
What is the best to get for the money that is good quality?
Old Jun 20, 2011, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

AMS hands down
Old Jun 21, 2011, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You get what you pay for, but some are over priced and others imported from China and the like which may or may not be of good quality.

I can recommend the ETS lineup and their 4" FMIC's have served me quite well.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Turbo xs or AMS!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
research air-to-air heat exchanger design. Yes, there's a different, but most of it has to do with core selection. If you do some research and shop around, you'll find some very inexpensive FMIC's that use the same exact cores as some of the higher end ones.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:29 AM

AMS and Buschur are thick and heavy, but def get the job done.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
AMS, CBRD, and ETS all use very good cores.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:01 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Heavy is mass, mass removes heat
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
All intercoolers are not equal

You have a lot to take into consideration when purchasing a front mount.

The first thing you want to check out is the fin pack design. An offset and staggered fin design will be your best bet in dissipating heat. The straight through fin design will pass the air right through like a tunnel, the offset and staggered fin pack breaks up the air molecules and forces the air to come in contact with multiple fins creating a denser charge air.

** ETS Offset and Staggered Fin Pack

** ETS Core (Dense, Offset and Staggered)

** Ebay Core (Notice how the air flows directly through the intercooler and not off the fins)

The next would be the intercooler core design. We prefer a bar and plate core. This cores does an amazing job at being efficient.

** ETS Core VS Garrett (We do something a little different here by changing the size of the charge row to give us more heat transfer plates. If we have an extra 4 charge rows over the competitor core in the same area we get 8 extra heat transfer plates. This is the top and bottom plate of the charge row. By doing this we can loosen up the internal charge rows which gives us less pressure drop and more external heat transfer area.

Here is a picture of the Garrett core that we cut in half to make a smaller SRT-4 intercooler. The internal results of the Garrett core were a bit disturbing. The core doesn't look like it would flow too well.

** Garrett Core On Top / ETS Core On Bottom

** ETS Intercooler Core Components

Hope this helps you out.

Thanks!

Michael
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I know this would probably be considered a "NEWB" question, but would there be any advantage to copper plating the intercooler/ radiator/ charge pipes?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
So I know this would probably be considered a "NEWB" question, but would there be any advantage to copper plating the intercooler/ radiator/ charge pipes?
I'm not sure it would be cost effective and adding an additional coating to the intercooler would make heat transfer take longer since it would still have to go through the aluminum after the copper. I'm guessing you are wanting to use copper because of how easily it transfers heat?

On a side note, the last thing we need is a bunch of tweakers trying to steal our intercoolers because they have copper

Michael
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
On a side note, the last thing we need is a bunch of tweakers trying to steal our intercoolers because they have copper

Michael
This actually made me lol. To the op I went with.ETS as it was recommended by my builder and have had no complaints. The way I see it too is Michael is very active on here and I have seen him solve a lot of customers issues as soon as they are posted on here. Customer service definitely gives brownie points to ets.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JReid
This actually made me lol. To the op I went with.ETS as it was recommended by my builder and have had no complaints. The way I see it too is Michael is very active on here and I have seen him solve a lot of customers issues as soon as they are posted on here. Customer service definitely gives brownie points to ets.
Thanks!

Michael
Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

wait till Michael breaks out the DP animation.... i have an ETS myself. I think ETS only one that does not require a different IC based on year due to the different point from 2008 to 2010 / 2011 brackets.... not totally sure though.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by armysoldier1073
wait till Michael breaks out the DP animation.... i have an ETS myself. I think ETS only one that does not require a different IC based on year due to the different point from 2008 to 2010 / 2011 brackets.... not totally sure though.
Love my down pipe animation Your correct, our intercooler works for all models from 2008-2011.

Thanks!

Michael

Quick Reply: Are All Intercoolers Created Equal?