Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Are All Intercoolers Created Equal?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2011, 08:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectGSX
Michael@ETS - I like the density of your FMIC core. I had a GReddy FMIC on my old Eclipse and it looks a lot like the other core you showed where the air goes "straight through".

What I dont understand is how the density affects air flow. If this were an exhaust system, you would prefer the straight through style because you would be passing the air through faster. Obviously in the case of an FMIC, the more contact the air makes with the fins the better it can cool, but are there any downsides to the additional obstructions vs a straight through design? I know a larger FMIC delays spool time, but Im not sure what the density of the core influences.
The density of the core does slow down air flow due to splitting the air molecules over and over. One of ours usually has around 1.5 lbs of pressure drop where a straight through intercooler may only have .5 lbs of pressure drop. The difference is the density of the air when it comes out the cold side.

If you have a good intercooler the air may come in at 25lbs due to it being hot and spread out after it goes through the core and cools down the air gets much denser and you may only see 23.5lbs come out the other side but the air is much cooler and denser.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Michael
Old Jul 1, 2011, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ETS is the best. Nothing but impressive on my old Evo, wasn't even doubtful who I'd go to for my new Evo!

- Patrick
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
The density of the core does slow down air flow due to splitting the air molecules over and over. One of ours usually has around 1.5 lbs of pressure drop where a straight through intercooler may only have .5 lbs of pressure drop. The difference is the density of the air when it comes out the cold side.
Yep, that makes sense. So larger core = slower spool, denser core = pressure drop.

Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
The difference is spool is not really noticeable though because it takes seconds to fill the intercooler. You might see a difference of 100rpm's from the smallest to the largest which is nothing.

We have a customer who ran the stock 9 turbo to 500hp (electric water pump, etc.) and he switched from 3.5" to 5.0" and didn't notice a difference at all.

The larger intercooler on the stock frame turbos are necessary due to pulling the turbo out of it's efficiency range and blowing a ton of excess heat. I would say everyone needs a 5.0" but at a minimum I would do a 3.5"

Michael
Old Jul 1, 2011, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

I have always wanted to see test results of different I/C. Are there tests that show proof that one I/C out performs one over and other. And does the specific I/C out perform an other because it is running on a car producing 700hp to see real differences? I'm thinking that if your the guy running 300-350 whp It might not make a difference but I could be wrong.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Is there anything special to the curves of the AMS/Perrin/etc. endtanks? I noticed that the EMS endtanks are linear with straight edges rather than curved. Just curious if there's any advantage of one design over another. Thx.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Evofreak21
AMS hands down
on what basis ?
Old Jul 4, 2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by linkbeat
Is there anything special to the curves of the AMS/Perrin/etc. endtanks? I noticed that the EMS endtanks are linear with straight edges rather than curved. Just curious if there's any advantage of one design over another. Thx.
well is this the reason why ams ic flows a little more than the ets? is there dyno charts? whats the ets ic end tanks made from? sheet metal or cast?
and does it really matter that much?

cheers everyone
Old Jul 4, 2011, 12:36 PM

exact pressure drop? for exmple ams claims it 1 psi. ets also claims around 1psi
tempreture drop?
flow?
Old Jul 4, 2011, 12:43 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelUWright
What is the best to get for the money that is good quality?
Get yourself an ETS intercooler, but make sure you ask for one with a garrett core.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by golgo13
Get yourself an ETS intercooler, but make sure you ask for one with a garrett core.
then that wont be an ETS ic it would be a Garrett !!!!
if you read above micheal explains why their ets is better than garrett
could you elaborate more ?

thanks cheers
Old Jul 4, 2011, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
I'd rather have ETS' new custom designed core. Besides, Garrett doesn't even make a core that properly fits and fills the X's front bumper opening.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I build intercoolers :P
The major difference is inner tube fin design, number of tubes, and thickness of walls of tubes. All these things play part in how well it flows, if you have pressure drop or not, and obviously how well it actually absorbs heat.

/dave
Old Jul 4, 2011, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectGSX
Michael@ETS - I like the density of your FMIC core. I had a GReddy FMIC on my old Eclipse and it looks a lot like the other core you showed where the air goes "straight through".

What I dont understand is how the density affects air flow. If this were an exhaust system, you would prefer the straight through style because you would be passing the air through faster. Obviously in the case of an FMIC, the more contact the air makes with the fins the better it can cool, but are there any downsides to the additional obstructions vs a straight through design? I know a larger FMIC delays spool time, but Im not sure what the density of the core influences.
If you have way to much fin inside the tubes air flow is restricted. If you don't have enough fins inside the tubes the cooling is poor.

------------

Difference between cast tanks vs fabricated ---- looks more then anything.

------------

Last edited by ezzey; Jul 4, 2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have an AGP IC, supposed to have one of the better cores out there for the price. read that from a comparo a long time ago.

Quick Reply: Are All Intercoolers Created Equal?