Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Depo Racing FMIC any good?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Since the Depo intercooler cores are so cheap why doesn't someone with a X test them against a BR, ETS, CBRD unit???
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Buy it and I will dyno test it vs. mine.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by b3n
I'm thinking I might give the Depo a shot...I don't have any plans on upgrading my turbo so this is looking like the best choice for the money.
Please take a bunch of before and after logs, if you can, with both IAT and MAT so there will be some data available to compare to the stock X IC.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 03:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For only a tad more money, you can get the AGP with cast end tanks and a larger core.

http://www.agpturbo.com/products/Evo...tercooler.html
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:08 PM
Former Sponsor

I have a depo uicp and fmic for over a year. The uicp fits great and its just aluminum pipe so not much can go wrong with that. The fmic fit perfect, welds were nice, had staggered fins that I heard the cheap ones dont, so no complaints. Dont buy off ebay much better price direct. If you have the cash then buy a ETS or AMS if not buy Depo.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by strocse
I have a depo uicp and fmic for over a year. The uicp fits great and its just aluminum pipe so not much can go wrong with that. The fmic fit perfect, welds were nice, had staggered fins that I heard the cheap ones dont, so no complaints. Dont buy off ebay much better price direct. If you have the cash then buy a ETS or AMS if not buy Depo.
This
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
I think Tim@Depo is more about charging the "right" price for something, rather than overcharging.

I am not saying the ETS/AGP coolers are no different, I am just saying that dont dismiss the Depo IC just because it's cheap...

Not everything in life conforms to the rule of "you get what you pay for"
Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tephra
I think Tim@Depo is more about charging the "right" price for something, rather than overcharging.

I am not saying the ETS/AGP coolers are no different, I am just saying that dont dismiss the Depo IC just because it's cheap...

This. I've got a list of Tim's stuff that I want....
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:48 AM

If you follow Tim's posts, his stuff comes from overseas because it has to clear customs. From what I collected Tim specs out a piece and sends it overseas to be made, which in terms saves us alot of money in the process.

ETS, AMS, CBRD... Folks these are all awesome shops, which reside in the USA, which make some great parts for our cars. We do not have cheap labor, our cost of living is nuts, I work for a small business which most of these shops are and our overhead is crazy, between rent, heating, salaries, equipment costs, etc.

That's why the prices are high.

Put it into perspective, If someone tried to sell you some bent stainless steel 2.5" pipe for $250 for a piece 4 feet long....... would you do it? HELL NO, but these shops are expensive to run, and they need to cover their asses.

It's kinda like saying this $37,000 Chrysler Mini Van is nicer that your $34,000 Evo because it costs more.

What I'm trying to say is that the saying "you get what you pay for" isn't always true.

Just because it's cheap, don't dismiss it, we need to get some hard facts on it first, on the dyno.

Don't forget however, support your shops, they are the ones who develop new products!
Old Jul 30, 2011, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

I am seriously considering the intercooler from DepoRacing.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tephra

True, not everything follows that rule but most stuff does. And usually with paying a little extra you get that "safe" piece.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 01:55 PM
RiG
Evolving Member

I have a question about these thicker Intercoolers. Has anyone experienced any overheating problems with the thicker intercoolers? On my old 96 AWD DSM I had a 28x12x3.5 inch FMIC on it and the thickness and size of the intercooler blocked too much of the radiator and caused it to run a little hot with the A/C on, I dont want this issue with my Evo. Thanks
Old Aug 4, 2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by RiG
I have a question about these thicker Intercoolers. Has anyone experienced any overheating problems with the thicker intercoolers? On my old 96 AWD DSM I had a 28x12x3.5 inch FMIC on it and the thickness and size of the intercooler blocked too much of the radiator and caused it to run a little hot with the A/C on, I dont want this issue with my Evo. Thanks
The DSM only has one air opening at the front of it. And on yours (and my old one) the FMIC took up the whole area so there wasn't much left for the condenser and the radiator.

The Evo X on the other hand, has an upper and lower airflow inlet as well as hood vents and inlets to keep temps in check.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 07:16 AM
RiG
Evolving Member

Thats kind of what I was thinking but I just wanted to make sure. I would be pissed off at myself if I ended up modding this Evo and running into the same issues as my Taloon.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by RiG
I would be pissed off at myself if I ended up modding this Evo and running into the same issues as my Taloon.
Same. I think my GSX had less issues though. Probably because of how I built the thing. Now it'a time to do the same!

Quick Reply: Depo Racing FMIC any good?