Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another clutch slip thread, but a very particular case.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another clutch slip thread, but a very particular case.

So my car is a 2008 gsr with 13,000 miles on the odo. i installed downpipe, HFC, cat back, aem intake and accesport, the oem clutch only lasted about 2000 more miles after i installed the parts. so i went with an exedy cerametalic clutch, oem flywheel but didnt have it turned, I installed it and everything was fine, for about 3000 miles, the it started slipping and grinding, so i took it out and it was burnt, like if you put a torch on the surface and it started turning blue in spots, so was the flywheel, so i took a friends advice and bought clutchmaster sateg 3 clutch and matching flywheel. again everythign was fine for the first 3000 miles, but recentlly it started to chatter when any kind of boost after 10 psi was present, really hard chatter, now i get hard chatter, low chatter, slip you name it.

Is it possible that with my mods the car can be chewing up clutches every 3000 miles, i mean i am hardlly modded, but i think there can be a bigger issue thats making the car eat up clutches.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

2 clutches and only 3k miles apiece, hate to say it but its probably your driving. Good luck though and hope Im wrong
Old Jul 17, 2011, 07:21 PM

no guys its not my driving, im 29 and have owned mostlly stick shifts since 16. can a failing CMC be the culprit or wouldnt it affect the clutch? a member from another forum suggested this
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How often are you launching? Those clutches should be able to handle your power with ease.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

If for some reason your not getting full engagement that would cause pre mature wear... some people are just hard on clutches, I know I always was... not discounting a mechanical problem just saying the stock clutch on my GSR was already showing signs of wear at 3,000 miles when I installed and act and a bigger turbo... it wasn't slipping but was showing some blueing.

Who is doing the installs? You or a well known shop? The fact that the stocker failed so soon makes me think it's your driving and the on / off nature of the stock turbo setup.. or some kind of fluid contamination on the friction materials. I think a failing CMC would result in dragging clutch between shifts which would cause additional wear but.. I would think grinding and gear lockout would be more of an issue than pre mature wear with a bad CMC.

I assume you have used a matched pressure plate with each clutch change yes?

Last edited by Mad_SB; Jul 18, 2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:22 PM

the first install was done by a shop, since it didnt last very long i blamed poor install job for this, so i bought new clutch and flywheel and did the install my self, i am a pretty skilled mechanic, didnt do the first install because i live in an apartment building, this time i asked a buddy if i could work on his shop and did it myself. the car has cero launches, maybe a couple of uphill starts that could have stressed the clutch, but nothing serious
Old Jul 19, 2011, 04:51 PM

I'm with the previous poster about something has to be chewing these clutches up if it's not your driving, like a bad rear main seal or input shaft seal. Was there any contamination to speak of inside the bell housing when you replaced the clutch yourself? The only other thing I can think if would be a bent input shaft, though I'm not sure the car would run very well depending on how bent it is. Is the clutch release fork mechanism worn out or bound up in some way maybe?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 03:58 PM

Hey man,

I had much the same issue as you. I blew my first at 5500 km's with zero launches. Then I burned the next at 19, then an exedy stage 2 at 34. all times blueing and hotspots were evident. I am a trained tractor trailer driver (25 years old) and have only owned stick shifts. I have new info nthat it could be a bent input shaft cause by faulty bearing http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pa...-shaft-upgrade

Get at me lets see if we can give mitsu a big ****burger to eat
Its not our driving causing these issues, my buddy came down yesterday with an 08 ngsr. He had the stocker untill 47,000 km's!! There is varying build quailty in these cars man
Old Aug 1, 2011, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Are you breaking in the discs properly? Kevlar clutches especially are very particular regarding break-in.

Have you removed your clutch restrictor pill yet? If not, do so immediately.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 09:35 AM

Look here, I have had the exact same problem and am tired of hearing "its you're driving" I have only driven manuals my entire life and have never seen a clutch wear this fast... ever!We all know that Mitsu qaulity control isn't the greatest and with the amount of failed stockers vs.
the "i am so cool cause I have xxx amount of miles on my stock clutch" qack, qack, qack. There is apparently some thing going on here! Thanks for the jacks tran link I am getting ready to replace my clutch AGAIN so I am gonna have a shop do it and look for the root of this problem.