Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Intercooler pipping OBX Brand any good?

Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler pipping OBX Brand any good?

I found this on E-bay for a FRACTION of the over priced name brand counterparts. $300+ for a aluminum pipe to me is just ridiculous so I'm considering these. Besides possible fitment issues and color is there any downside from opting for these instead of .. say Agency power 300 bucks just for the upper pipe? I believe these are 3inches as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-INTERCOOLER-IC-PIPES-EVOLUTION-EVO-X-10-TURBO-HARD-PIPE-/230762851538?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item35ba89acd2&vxp=mtr

If i do buy these im planning on painting it matte black or just powder coating them for like 20bucks.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I can promise these will fit better than Agency Power's

Like most of the Chinese knock-offs I'm sure fitment will be ok, but I doubt it will be perfect and probably will need some tweaking. You will need to buy all your own couplers, clamps, and the needed hose to custom-fit the BOV since this kit relocates it.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$240 for the upper pipe kit. Includes everything you need http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/E...-Pipe-Kit.html

Don't buy that junk from EBay man. You'll just end up regretting it
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:38 PM

$240 for just the upper pipe? No thanks the OBX is $140 for both, lower and top + like $40-50 couplers and additional hardware.

I don't buy everything from eBay. Brakes/rims/internal engine parts stuff that is really important, but a set of aluminum pipes? I even hear some eBay vendors are giving better results with their products than the over pricing "name brand" company's.

I do agree with you alpha but for these over priced to hell aluminum piping I think I'ma go with the eBay brand. I'll post if anything goes wrong to warn you guys but I seriously doubt it.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
If you don't want peoples' opinions, don't ask

Good luck, I'm sure they'll be fine and work for you.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kracka
If you don't want peoples' opinions, don't ask

Good luck, I'm sure they'll be fine and work for you.
I do want opinions, valid informational opinions maybe from personal experience.

I appreciate his warning concerning buying eBay products, but if the only reason for opting for the more expensive option vs the eBay product that seems to be the same material/quality at 1/2 the price is strictly that its from eBay then well.... I apologize if I came off like a douche.

I guess I have more faith in eBay than most. I bought a DP for my mk6 gti for 140 bucks which turned out to put down more whp at the dyno than the $900 name brand option. Its been on there for over 40k miles too.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You get what you pay for.. When you buy products from shops like ETS fitment is almost always, if not always guaranteed.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dood, its an evo, not a neon. stick with the higher priced name brands. quality costs, you cant get around it
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

when it comes to a simple pipe that you are only running air through... its not going to make a difference what company makes it. the only thing that matters is that its sturdy and it fits well.

why you would ever see it as a necessity to pay 250+ for a single pipe that runs air and nothing else will never make sense to me.... yes its a nice car but that doesnt mean you have to drain your bank account on a ****ing pipe.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chaz17
when it comes to a simple pipe that you are only running air through... its not going to make a difference what company makes it. the only thing that matters is that its sturdy and it fits well.

why you would ever see it as a necessity to pay 250+ for a single pipe that runs air and nothing else will never make sense to me.... yes its a nice car but that doesnt mean you have to drain your bank account on a ****ing pipe.

What he said!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:24 PM

I have obx pipes...but I didn't use them for my intercooler (ETS intercooler pipes) I used them to make a SD cold air intake. They work fine for me.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by koreanostrich
I have obx pipes...but I didn't use them for my intercooler (ETS intercooler pipes) I used them to make a SD cold air intake. They work fine for me.
thats actually not a bad idea. Did you buy random couplings and cut them at specific angles to make it work?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:45 AM

I bought 3 pipes and random couplings; s-pipe, 90 degree bend and 45 degree bend. have to modify the 45 degree pipe a lil to make it fit. Then i have the hks reloaded filter on the end. The 45 degree one is so that it faces the front.