Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

HELP - Engine Noise problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP - Engine Noise problem!!!

So I have and been driving a 2008 Lancer Evo GSR since i got it new. Car has about 72k miles on it.

Last night while driving I Started hearing a noise out of no where that sounded like gravel or rocks rattling around under the hood. So i pulled over and my serpentine was frayed a little and the part that was loose while the belt was spinning was hitting up against something and making that noise (no big deal ordered a new belt today so it will be in tomorrow)

But while driving today I started noticing a noise again almost like a metal rattling sound of something being loose but only on engine UNload and between shifts. If i keep light pressure on the throttle the noise is not there, but at idle and between shifts its pretty unbearable. I pulled over and poped the hood thinking it might be another piece of the belt but its not. If I push the clutch in at idle at a light the noise goes away for maybe 5-10 seconds but then comes back. I freaked out and thought it might be a spun rod bearing but i changed the oil recently and the oil level is fine.

The car is never really driven hard and there have not been any mods to the car in a long time (50k+) The current mods on it are - exedy stage 2 clutch, billet CM cylinder, Injen intake and UICP, Turbo xs boost controller.

anybody know what this could be? before i take it to the stealership in the morning?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Its your pulleys which your accessory belts rest on. They are made of plastic and have been known to warp, causing the belt to fray and break. I have seen an instance where the frayed belt pulls the AC line and wrapped itself on one of the pulleys. Consider the Hyundai pulleys (same size).
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:53 PM

Oh and PS. while trying to locate where the noise is coming from i did notice that it gets louder when the cooling fans cycle on, and quieter when they cycle off. I checked the fans to make sure they were not broken or rattling around and they looked fine to me.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by evolutionxtac
Its your pulleys which your accessory belts rest on. They are made of plastic and have been known to warp, causing the belt to fray and break. I have seen an instance where the frayed belt pulls the AC line and wrapped itself on one of the pulleys. Consider the Hyundai pulleys (same size).
Holy crap thats not a happy thought... how many pulleys are made of plastic that i will have to replace? Yet another Mitsu issue SMH (like the plastic CM cylinder that i had to replace 3 times before i went after market.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

There are exactly 2 pulleys and one tensioner pulley. The last one is a bit more difficult to replace so most Evo X owners just replace the two pulleys.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:58 PM

Ugh great... well looks like im calling out of work tomorrow and tracking down replacement parts LOL
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

This article will prove useful.

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...uary-2010.aspx
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:06 PM

Great thanks a bunch!
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:31 PM

Ok so after still taking it into the dealership and having them listen to the engine (they did not have a slot open today) they said that it might be the bottom end? ie spun rod bearing /bent rod. I cant really think of how this could happen, ive never driven the car hard and always made sure the oil has been changed regularly. Ideas? or are they just trolling me