Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exhaust help, Turboback Exhaust with or without cat?

Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust help, Turboback Exhaust with or without cat?

So I am trying to decided between getting a turboback exhaust with or without a cat. I want the performance gains from a turboback but have heard horror stories from a couple of my buddies who have owned Evos with straight turboback exhausts, no cat of how loud they can be, how its almost unbearable for someone to sit in the back of the car with a straight turboback exhaust, and it just murders your ears cruising above 70mph. I drive a decent amount for work and need something that's not insanely loud but want as much of a performance gain as possible. Would something like the Turbo XS Turboback Exhaust with a cat be a good fit for me to dumb the sound a bit and this is kinda minor, but would a turboback exhaust with a cat shoot flames like other turboback exhausts do on Evo X's?

Last edited by Skip37; Oct 19, 2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

I think if you're looking for all out power there are other and better ways to get more out of your car then to strip out your exhaust system. Think Turbos, Cams, Intercoolers, Iginition and Timing obviously with support from proper tuning.

There are many exhaust systems out there that have great flow qualities but do a good job at keeping the sound to "acceptable levels" and that is a very Subjective term. Do some research and see what you like and can stand. If you drive a lot you might not want the car screaming at you and stinking up the place because your muffler doesn't really qualify as one and the cat is awol.

You could try a modular approach to your exhaust system build. UR makes a couple of exhausts that you can add or remove options like resonators, mini mufflers to tune it to how you want i to sound but keep the flow nice and straight. Alternatively there is one company (forget who) that makes exhausts that can be tuned (on the fly) through an electronic switch that open and closes your muffler for flow or sound muffling. The cat is where you gotta decide if you want to stay legit and run one or try and squeeze out the most of your car that's all up to you.

Good Luck.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by EAGLE 5
I think if you're looking for all out power there are other and better ways to get more out of your car then to strip out your exhaust system. Think Turbos, Cams, Intercoolers, Iginition and Timing obviously with support from proper tuning.

There are many exhaust systems out there that have great flow qualities but do a good job at keeping the sound to "acceptable levels" and that is a very Subjective term. Do some research and see what you like and can stand. If you drive a lot you might not want the car screaming at you and stinking up the place because your muffler doesn't really qualify as one and the cat is awol.

You could try a modular approach to your exhaust system build. UR makes a couple of exhausts that you can add or remove options like resonators, mini mufflers to tune it to how you want i to sound but keep the flow nice and straight. Alternatively there is one company (forget who) that makes exhausts that can be tuned (on the fly) through an electronic switch that open and closes your muffler for flow or sound muffling. The cat is where you gotta decide if you want to stay legit and run one or try and squeeze out the most of your car that's all up to you.

Good Luck.

Turbos, cams, and a lot of the other parts you mentioned will definitely bring me big gains but I'm not looking to do anything crazy, at least not at first. My plans are full turboback exhaust, air intake, and Cobb AP running stage 2. I figure since it's my DD, those mods are good to start off with and still should get me above 300whp and 300wtq.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Skip37
Turbos, cams, and a lot of the other parts you mentioned will definitely bring me big gains but I'm not looking to do anything crazy, at least not at first. My plans are full turboback exhaust, air intake, and Cobb AP running stage 2. I figure since it's my DD, those mods are good to start off with and still should get me above 300whp and 300wtq.

Apparently really good tuners can get you close to those gains on a stock car depending on gas availability etc. I say get an HFC and a nice turboback that won't make your ears bleed and roll with it.

I did the my head explodes because-racecar thing before on a previous build and I'm not doing that ever again. Plus I don't want all the unwanted attention from the PoPo.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:20 PM

i will have to make you a video... i have an AMS downpipe, no cat no resonator, 3''.... i personally love it but... my neighbors don't lol
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:05 AM

The nice thing about turbos, is that they are almost a muffler it self. Every turbo car I worked on that I have install straight turbo back all sound good. I do custom 3" with vibrant mufflers. Not too obnoxious.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Not sure if its relevant to your decision, but I went with a high flow cat because I wanted to keep it emission legal. Ends up its still common to throw cat codes with a HFC, so you could fail an OBD2 smog test anyways.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

This is honestly a personal preference. I like to have a loud car because the majority of the people around my area don't pay attention to anyone on the roads besides themselves. And I love being able to hear my car. I'm still young so my quiet is different to everyone else's quiet. ETS V2 Extreme for me lol