Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bought a 08 evo x mr. Want to change fluids

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2014, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a 08 evo x mr. Want to change fluids

Hey guys
Just bought a 08 evo x mr. Has 25k kms.
I want to bring it in to mitsubishi for fluids change.
From what i have researched everything i need to change are
Transmission oil
Rear Differential fluid torque
Rear differential fluid
Transfer case fluid
Ayc
Ayc/ acd hydralic unit.
Engine oil.

Is this everything ?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid, headlight fluid.. How many fluids you want to change? Is it necessary to? Consult the maintenance schedule.

Last edited by Thomar; Apr 4, 2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

By the way, could probably save yourself a buck and change the fluids yourself.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

do you know when the last time the car was brought in for service and what was done? ( not familiar with maintenance schedule yet my car is only at like 8k (:
Old Apr 5, 2014, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

The AYC fluid is a sealed system and shouldn't be changed unless there is a major problem. It has to be bled if you change it. Expect the dealership to charge > $1000 to change all the fluids. Probably more since it's an MR.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 08:13 AM

Headlight fluid really? I figured it might be costly. Previous owner didt change anything but the motor oil. I hust thought the car is 6 years old now and srarting fresh would be a good idea.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 08:15 AM

He did however do the relay recall and ive been suggested to change to the new style timing chain soon
Old Apr 5, 2014, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Change the two things that will be the costliest to repair if you don't...do the fluid changes for the SST and do the oil/filter change then assess what you need to change later and search for cheaper prices on those types of fluids. You should also clean/replace your air filter...don't know if you have a CAI or OEM replaceable drop in. I got the Cosworth reusable non-oiled drop in filter at Trackwerks which I like and I think it was around $45 CAD so over time that will save you $'s too if you just clean it and don't have to replace it.

Go to Canadian tire and get the Mobil one full synthetic for your oil change, you will need over 4 litres so get yourself 5 litres...it often goes on sale at CT.
Take a look at Fred Bean (U.S. prices) and get yourself the SST fluid there it seems to be the cheapest and is where I purchased mine...they sell it in 4 litre containers and you will need 2 of those as you need aprox 7 litres....what comes out must go back in! Also pick up the SST filter from them which will cost about $120, and they also sell a package of 6 filters for oil changes for about $37 bucks and you will need them over time which will save you quite a bit. You will also need the gear oil and ATF, but I just purchased that from the dealership it was fairly cheap and not worth the extra U.S. exchange rate and shipping weight plus cost of it...I paid $68 CAD +tax for the gear oils at the dealership, so it wasn't expensive.

I found the SST filter a while back on another site for the sale price of $80, but can't remember where that was or even if it's still on sale and you can look around but it may be a hassle with that single item coming separately with shipping charges. Below is what you will need exactly to save yourself a few bucks because they are the most expensive items at the dealership that you will need and for you, my fellow Canadian, I took two minutes to add it to a cart so you can see what you need if you're wanting to go with OEM products.

After you receive the fluids/parts call your dealership and speak with your service manager there and negotiate labour. Tell them you have all the fluids with the exception of the gear oil (unless you do purchase that and you'll need just over 3 quarts with one of those being the ATF for torque transfer), and you want a deal on just the installation of everything. I negotiated for a total with taxes of $314.09 CAD for the SST fluid change and oil/filter change and that total included the gear oils...if you can negotiate and get that kind of price why do it all yourself, although as Thomar says, you can save even more (maybe $250) by doing everything yourself. I realise that costs have increased at the dealership for labour, but try and negotiate for something similar to the above price. Hope this helps...

Mitsubishi Diaqueen SSTF-1 Transmission Fluid For Evolution X MR

$122.00 X2
$244.00

Mitsubishi Evo X MR & Ralliart Transmission Filter

$120.00
$120.00
Mitsubishi Oil Filters & Washers - 6 Pack

$37.00
$37.00

Last edited by coryl; Apr 5, 2014 at 11:40 PM. Reason: added info
Old Apr 5, 2014, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the info guys
Old Apr 5, 2014, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by A3188
Thanks for the info guys

You're welcome, and if you have any more questions let us know and we'll try to help. I just answered your pm and I gave you a lot of details there so if it's not clear let me know.
And welcome to the Evo X world, you're going to have fun!
Old Apr 5, 2014, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

For the Evo X...

Item Oil / Fluid Grade / Description Component Type / Variant Total Capacity
Engine For Details Regarding Viscosity/Specification, See Information Below 4B11 5.6 Litres Inc:
Oil Cooler: 0.5, Filter 0.3
Cooling Mitsubishi Genuine Dia-Queen Super Long Life Coolant 7.5 Litres
(High Quality Ethylene Glycol Antifreeze Coolant)
Brake/Clutch Fluid Dot 3 or 4 As Required
Manual Transmission Dia Queen New Multi Gear Oil API Classification GL-3, SAE 75W-80 W5M6A 2.5 Litres
Twin Clutch SST Transmission Dia Queen SSTF-I W6DGA 7.6 Litres*
*5.5 Litres for Oil Change
Transfer Box (with ACD) Mitsubishi Genuine Dia Queen LSD Gear Oil 0.80 Litres
Rear Axle: (Vehicles with AYC/ACD)
Differential Mitsubishi Genuine Dia Queen LSD Gear Oil 0.55 Litres
AYC Torque Transfer Mechanism Dia-Queen ATF SPIII 0.60 Litres
AWC Control Fluid Mitsubishi Genuine Dia-Queen ATF SPIII 1.0 Litre
Power Steering Genuine Mitsubishi Power Steering Fluid Or ATF Dexron III/Dexron II Aprox 1.0 Litre
Air Conditioning Refrigerant HFC-134a 480-520 grams
Compressor Oil SUN PAG 56 80 - 100ml (Target: 80)
1) Select engine oil of the correct SAE viscosity number
SAE 5W-30, 0W-30 and 0W-40 engine oil can only be
Used if it meets ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4 or A5/B5 and API
SM (or higher) specifications
2) SAE 0W-30 and 0W-40 engine oil are recommended to
3) Use engine oil conforming to the following classification:
ILSAC certified oil
ACEA classification:
'For service A1/B1, A3/B3, A3/B4, or A5/B5
LANCER EVOLUTION X
Use of additives is not recommended since they may reduce the effectiveness of additives already included in the engine Oil,
it may result in failure of the mechanical assembly
According to the atmosheric temperature
use to improve engine startability on a very cold weather condition
API classification: 'For service SM' or higher
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TravisF
The AYC fluid is a sealed system and shouldn't be changed unless there is a major problem. It has to be bled if you change it. Expect the dealership to charge > $1000 to change all the fluids. Probably more since it's an MR.
Not necessarily. Ball Mitsubishi in San Diego only charged me $600.00 after taxes for the 30 service without oil change and tire rotation. Southcoast Mitsubishi wanted $1200.00 for the same service and El Cajon Mitsubishi wanted close to $700.00 for the same service.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jdjones24
Not necessarily. Ball Mitsubishi in San Diego only charged me $600.00 after taxes for the 30 service without oil change and tire rotation. Southcoast Mitsubishi wanted $1200.00 for the same service and El Cajon Mitsubishi wanted close to $700.00 for the same service.

He is actually correct in both his statements about the AYC needing bleeding and not needing to be touched unless there's a problem or the lines are disconnected for some reason such as in relocation, and also on the fact it will cost much over $1000 in Canada to have ALL the SST transmission fluids changed, oil change, with all filters, etc, if you don't have your own product. I'm wondering if each of your dealerships is doing something different if there's such a huge fluctuation in price.

You are right that prices definitely fluctuate at each dealership they can charge what they want it's not regulated, although there's usually not a doubled difference as in your quotes here or at least I've never heard about it.

I also have to mention that prices in Canada are often twice yours in the U.S. for parts and service.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 04:32 PM

I would change them. Why take a chance on a new car you just brought? Get a friend to help and it will take a half a day with a lift to do the driveline fluids. I have done it before on the X and it wasnt too burdensome