Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need help with this issue- hard to engage gear from dead stop

Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need help with this issue- hard to engage gear from dead stop

I understand EVO x has a notchy transmission. And I read through a lot of threads in transmission section.
But I don't see a lot of discussion regarding my issue.
I have always had issue with engaging gears from dead stop since I bought my car new with 7 miles on clock. now it has 11k on clock.

I am not sure if it is getting worse recently or it is just in my head.
I found that it is very very hard to shift to 1st gear from a dead stop.
I am at the point where whenever I stopped at traffic, I have to roll through all the gears I am able to throw in, and then, hope I can slide into 1st, and hold clutch in and wait for light. If this doesn't work, I will depress clutch again and try to do it again.
If I don't do this, I will look like an idiot in my car when light turns green, trying to engage 1st with a couple tries.
I installed shifter base bushings, it does improve shifting when car is moving, but when car is dead stopped, I still found it is very hard to engage 1st.

Speaking of when the car is moving, I don't seem to have any problem with shifting when car is moving. when the car is travelling at parking lot speed or any speed as long as it is moving, I can shift to any gear without much trouble.

One thing I noticed is that if I hit clutch very quick, and shift to 1st very quickly, it may go into the gear with a very good chance.

Is this normal with our cars?
Does anyone have this similar issue? How you solve this?
The car is fully stock, except a knob and shifter base bushings. I have a set of shifter bushings and pivot bushing I still need to install, hopefully, these will help.
If I get my car looked by dealer, they may just say EVOx are notchy and probably do nothing about it. How do I present this problem if I do need to let them take a look?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my evo x does the same thing. sometimes i have to go into 3rd and then go into 1st.. or shark the shift knob from side to side.. then try to put it into 1st.

i thought about getting the bushings for the shifter tower and cables.. but since you still have the issue.. i would like to know if there is a way to fix this. (I haven't changed the gear oil just yet.. but waiting to hit my 15k service first...)
Old Sep 23, 2014, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsrIXevo
my evo x does the same thing. sometimes i have to go into 3rd and then go into 1st.. or shark the shift knob from side to side.. then try to put it into 1st.

i thought about getting the bushings for the shifter tower and cables.. but since you still have the issue.. i would like to know if there is a way to fix this. (I haven't changed the gear oil just yet.. but waiting to hit my 15k service first...)
Hey, man, just to clarify, I only installed heavy shift knob and shifter base bushing.
I think shifter base bushing doesn't help as much as shifter cable bushing.
I am gonna install the shifter cable bushing this weekend and see how it goes.

Also, I am wondering if the blockage to 1st gear caused by clutch drag?
I rolled though gears while reving the car, doesn't to seem to be clutch dragging.
Or is it possible to only have clutch dragging problem while the car is stationary?