Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AYC/ACD Pump Warranty is Here!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AYC/ACD Pump Warranty is Here!

Hi everyone,

Good news, it looks like Mitsu has acknowledged the issues with our AYC/ACD pumps failing!

Back story:

Having my EVO towed to the dealership now due to what is likely a master clutch cylinder fail, (maybe someone who has had this happen to them can comment. Was driving, went to change gears, and as the clutch was about half pushed down, the pedal just snapped to the floor. After I pulled over and shut off the car, I could pull the clutch pedal back up, and it would stay in it's normal resting position, but as soon as I put any pressure on it, it would snap back down. Thoughts?) Anyway, thought i would try my luck to see if I could get my failed AYC/ACD pump covered as well, and I was told that Mitsu Canada (I assume this would be the same in the US, but I can't verify that for sure) that as of Jan 1, 2015, all Evo X AYC/ACD pumps are now covered for 10 years, 160,000 km (100,000 miles)!!!!!

This extended warranty is FOR THE PUMP ONLY, it does not extend the rest of your power train warranty.

I remember seeing someone post something similar in the bottom of another thread recently, but I thought a dedicated thread would get some more attention for those of us that are having issues with the pump.

I will update once I have spoken to the dealership and they have verified that my problems are indeed what I think they are.

Fingers crossed!

Edit: Here is a much more in depth post by PtownEvo in General:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...on-issued.html

Woohoo!

Last edited by Pref7; Jan 6, 2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:47 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sure did! I had the inspection on 12/30/14 and the work done on mine on on 1/8/15!

Just got the letter in the mail today for the recall also!
Old Jan 17, 2015, 01:14 PM

I just got my extended warranty card in the mail yesterday. I'm pretty happy about this. I just bought a new 2014 gsr and the first part I bought for it was the carbing acd cover. At least now if the acd still fails it will get fixed free of charge.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For anyone whose Evo X is modified, Mitsubishi will not honor the warranty. The code for a tuned Evo is not stored in the ECU, but I believe somewhere in the air conditioning. It cost my son about $2,400 for a new pump even though the car was still under warranty and had only about 25k miles on it.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 01:05 PM

Just got my letter/notice as well. It's most unfortunate this isn't a recall, which in my opinion it most certainly should be. Does anyone else agree with that thinking or do you guys agree with how Mitsu is handling this? Looking to see everyone's thoughts.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SamsonEvoX
For anyone whose Evo X is modified, Mitsubishi will not honor the warranty. The code for a tuned Evo is not stored in the ECU, but I believe somewhere in the air conditioning. It cost my son about $2,400 for a new pump even though the car was still under warranty and had only about 25k miles on it.
Seriously? This sounds like a nightmare one may have
Old Jan 21, 2015, 09:15 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NEpsiOver21
Just got my letter/notice as well. It's most unfortunate this isn't a recall, which in my opinion it most certainly should be. Does anyone else agree with that thinking or do you guys agree with how Mitsu is handling this? Looking to see everyone's thoughts.
Was actually very surprised when I received my letter last week.. as hard as I had to push to get mine covered (involving both meditation and a report to the NHTSA), I really didn't think they'd ever do something like this.

Afaik, the replacement pump was the same as the original, so for the most part, I've fully been expecting that my new pump will also eventually fail due to corrosion. So, if I'm incredibly lucky, this will happen within the next 5-years/50k-miles and they'll also cover that one.

Unless Mitsu actually makes changes to the pump (properly sealing it, shielding it, upgrading corrosion-prone internals, and/or relocating it to the trunk), I really don't see what use a full recall would accomplish.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by AFD
Was actually very surprised when I received my letter last week.. as hard as I had to push to get mine covered (involving both meditation and a report to the NHTSA), I really didn't think they'd ever do something like this.

Afaik, the replacement pump was the same as the original, so for the most part, I've fully been expecting that my new pump will also eventually fail due to corrosion. So, if I'm incredibly lucky, this will happen within the next 5-years/50k-miles and they'll also cover that one.

Unless Mitsu actually makes changes to the pump (properly sealing it, shielding it, upgrading corrosion-prone internals, and/or relocating it to the trunk), I really don't see what use a full recall would accomplish.
Well don't recalls do exactly just that? The point of a recall is to fix/replace a "defective" part. I would say this is the definition of defective. The part fails because of inadequate design and needs to be replaced with a new and improved "version" or, as you stated, moved to an area where said part will be 100% less prone to failure, aka recall. But then again, I may be wrong.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:32 AM

Just found out today

I purchased my 2009 Ralliart used in 2012 so the letter was sent to the wrong address. The letter was redirected to the dealer that had my address on file and gave me a call to let me know. Made an appointment right then and there. So for any second hand owners out there call your dealer and inquire.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If I could get passed the dealer since my car is modded and revert it to stock if something happens then I'm happy as can be if not darn..
Old Jan 30, 2015, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SamsonEvoX
I dont understand why mitsu is being inconsistent with coverage. In the original thread about this, there were people getting covered with modded cars.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:06 AM

ACD pump replaced under warranty at 75,000km

I was happy when the price of the ACD pump replacement dropped from $3,000 to $1,500. I was extra happy when it dropped to $0. As stated earlier, the warranty for this part is now 10yrs or 150,000 km.

I had the 2hr job done yesterday at a Montreal dealer. Courtesy car provided. I expect the part will fail again within the extended warranty period. I have another 75,000 km and 5 years for this to happen!

If Mitsubishi had admitted this flaw earlier and covered it on warranty, they would have spent the same $ on the replacement parts and labour, but saved their reputation that was seriously damaged by this issue for otherwise brand-loyal customers. Better late than never though.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nrthrn_expsr
...but saved their reputation that was seriously damaged by this issue for otherwise brand-loyal customers. Better late than never though.
this.

i'm going to get reimbursed the $1500 i paid to replace the pump last year. i was about to sell my evo, but now that they did this, will hold onto it a bit longer.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 09:35 PM

Now they just have to extend it for the 8/9's!
Old Feb 20, 2015, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vassili
this.

i'm going to get reimbursed the $1500 i paid to replace the pump last year. i was about to sell my evo, but now that they did this, will hold onto it a bit longer.
I as well am getting reimbursed $1600 for the pump I had to replace. I sold the car shortly after because I was totally unhappy with the mitsubishi dealer.

Quick Reply: AYC/ACD Pump Warranty is Here!