Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo X rear diff: MR and GSR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X rear diff: MR and GSR

As title stated, I'm looking for a rear diff replacement for my evo x gsr. There are some listing diff that said SST. GSR doesn't come with SST so are the MR rear diff different than GSR? Or they are all the same. I dont want to order one and its not the right one for me model.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 09:11 PM

Same question

Originally Posted by cha951
As title stated, I'm looking for a rear diff replacement for my evo x gsr. There are some listing diff that said SST. GSR doesn't come with SST so are the MR rear diff different than GSR? Or they are all the same. I dont want to order one and its not the right one for me model.

i wanna follow up with you did u manage to know to answer to this as im looking for a rear diff for my gsr aswell.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by mahruqii9
i wanna follow up with you did u manage to know to answer to this as im looking for a rear diff for my gsr aswell.
For the USDM models the Evo X AYC rear differential are the same for both the MR and GSR.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear diff difference’s

Originally Posted by deylag
For the USDM models the Evo X AYC rear differential are the same for both the MR and GSR.
My rear 15 GSR diff went belly up so I was going to rebuild it but instead I got lucky and sourced a used one from a MR with only 12k miles. I talked to Mitsubishi dealership service shop and they informed that it would bolt up but the gear ratio would be different and would have to be changed. So I found a used GSR diff with 18k miles and had no issues since its been mounted. I hope this info helps.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCocoTaso
My rear 15 GSR diff went belly up so I was going to rebuild it but instead I got lucky and sourced a used one from a MR with only 12k miles. I talked to Mitsubishi dealership service shop and they informed that it would bolt up but the gear ratio would be different and would have to be changed. So I found a used GSR diff with 18k miles and had no issues since its been mounted. I hope this info helps.
I don't see how the Rear Differential would change the gear ratio since that is mechanically set by the Final Drive gear in the transmission.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deylag
I don't see how the Rear Differential would change the gear ratio since that is mechanically set by the Final Drive gear in the transmission.
I hear ya. Makes sense. I just went off what the service tech said. I didn’t want to take any chances even though it would have still worked.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Correct, rear differentials are the same between GSR and MR.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:28 AM

There are some rear diffs on ebay. thats where i got mine