Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

MBC or EBC?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBC or EBC?

I'm stumped! So Manual or Electric boost controller? Which one is better and why? Looking at a Grimmspeed EBCS, says I would need a tune after installing. Not sure I want a tune right now.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
its almost a same question as injectors or carburetor ...

you want to play constantly or set it and forget it. you choice

yes you need a tune after install. Install it with a tuner.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

EBC for sure hand's down for the evo X.. but yes you HAVE to tune it right away or it will overboost.. idk why you would want a boost controller and no tune anyways.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

if money is not an issue get an ebc based on stepper motor.

you can configure boost more accurately that solenoid based ones...

Michael.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 02:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slvrevo84
EBC for sure hand's down for the evo X.. but yes you HAVE to tune it right away or it will overboost.. idk why you would want a boost controller and no tune anyways.
EXACTLY ..... If you are not getting the car tuned ...do not buy one at all
Old Mar 6, 2015, 06:13 AM

OK guys I wasn't sure about the tune requirements because I read a post in the dyno area saying they didn't tune using a mbc.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by efmathis
OK guys I wasn't sure about the tune requirements because I read a post in the dyno area saying they didn't tune using a mbc.
I'm not sure what your main goal here is, but if your trying to NOT void your warranty ...there is a way to run a manual boost controller and a piggyback fuel controller with a jumper harness for more power. The gains won't be spectacular, but if you blow the car up, you could pull those parts, and there would be absolutely no way for the dealer to blame you. This is a tactic used by some rallycross and autocross people, in order to just beat the brakes off of lease cars for a year, and trade them back in for new ones next season.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by E46HamannM3
I'm not sure what your main goal here is, but if your trying to NOT void your warranty ...there is a way to run a manual boost controller and a piggyback fuel controller with a jumper harness for more power. The gains won't be spectacular, but if you blow the car up, you could pull those parts, and there would be absolutely no way for the dealer to blame you. This is a tactic used by some rallycross and autocross people, in order to just beat the brakes off of lease cars for a year, and trade them back in for new ones next season.
Thanks! I think I'll just enjoy the car stock for a while and slowly start with the basics (ETS intake, UICP, 4" FMIC, ect) and save up for a nice EBC with screen and tune. Very excited!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
there is no need of MBC for the Evo. Specially when you dont race like pro team.

EBC will give you any time any weather the right boost. Never really understood the MBC idea with the EVO anyway.
Performance wise which is actually shows on the time slip or the stage /lap times, would be miniscular to the point where you wonder , why do i really have to play with this? (MBC)

Old Mar 9, 2015, 08:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by maikcat
if money is not an issue get an ebc based on stepper motor.

you can configure boost more accurately that solenoid based ones...

Michael.
Agreed, you can't really compare EBCs to MBCs. I don't know the features and specs for every EBC out there but HKS' EVC VI (which uses a stepper motor) will allow you to do a lot things you couldn't with a MBC. Like monitor exactly whats going on, datalog, multiple boost curves you can change on the fly, safety settings for max boost, psi drop, etc.).
Old Mar 10, 2015, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Scott@HKSUSA
Agreed, you can't really compare EBCs to MBCs. I don't know the features and specs for every EBC out there but HKS' EVC VI (which uses a stepper motor) will allow you to do a lot things you couldn't with a MBC. Like monitor exactly whats going on, datalog, multiple boost curves you can change on the fly, safety settings for max boost, psi drop, etc.).
especially the evc 6 ir 2.4

its also has 10x10 map...

Michael.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks! I think I'll just enjoy the car stock for a while and slowly start with the basics (ETS intake, UICP, 4" FMIC, ect) and save up for a nice EBC with screen and tune. Very excited!
You cant do the intake without a tune either.. you could prob get away with the fmic and uicp and a cb exhaust fyi 4" will be over kill for you unless your doin a big build. but thats it youll need a tune for the other bolt ons ie: intake,dp,tp,3 port anything that changes the air flow.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Scott@HKSUSA
How do you change fuel settings to match the multiple boost curves that you have on the EBC?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 05:43 AM
Former Sponsor

You don't. Your car still has to be tuned for the maximum amount of boost you're going to run.

With the EVC, you can have it set up so "Off" is simply WG spring, "A" could be your daily driver mode (low boost or less aggressive curve), "B" could be a sportier mode (medium boost or more aggressive curve), "C" could be your race mode or max boost setting.

So as long as your car is tuned for "C", it's tuned for "A" and "B" as well.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 02:59 PM

GREAT INFO GUYS! I've been shopping around and am considering the HKS' EVC.
Thanks again guys!

Quick Reply: MBC or EBC?