Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can a tune cause an exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Can a tune cause an exhaust leak?

So I got a three port and a tune a week and a half ago. I have no other engine or exhaust mods and the tune was for 25 psi. Two days later I went up to Thunderhill for a two day HDPE (third and fourth days this year). After setting my best two lap times on the 5 mi course during the very last session on the second day, I got ABS and AYC service errors. As I left the track my exhaust was making much more noise than usual. I drove around the paddock for a few minutes then parked and prepared to drive home. When I started the car again, there were no more warnings but the exhaust was still loud. Shortly after starting my drive home, the TPMS light came on. I put some more air in the tires (I had let out at least 3 psi during the two days). TPMS light was still on.
I took the car to my mechanic and apparently the downpipe had come loose and the resulting exhaust leak caused some very expensive damage to the nearby electronics and wiring. Is there any way that this could have been caused by the three port install and tune?
Old May 17, 2015, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GotKT?
So I got a three port and a tune a week and a half ago. I have no other engine or exhaust mods and the tune was for 25 psi. Two days later I went up to Thunderhill for a two day HDPE (third and fourth days this year). After setting my best two lap times on the 5 mi course during the very last session on the second day, I got ABS and AYC service errors. As I left the track my exhaust was making much more noise than usual. I drove around the paddock for a few minutes then parked and prepared to drive home. When I started the car again, there were no more warnings but the exhaust was still loud. Shortly after starting my drive home, the TPMS light came on. I put some more air in the tires (I had let out at least 3 psi during the two days). TPMS light was still on.
I took the car to my mechanic and apparently the downpipe had come loose and the resulting exhaust leak caused some very expensive damage to the nearby electronics and wiring. Is there any way that this could have been caused by the three port install and tune?
Not being a wise guy but you basically answered your own question. If the downpipe wasnt touched then no, you can not blame the tuner. Now if he installed a downpipe, then tuned the car, you could point fingers at him.
Old May 18, 2015, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
i had a similar problem with mine. I was on track and after a few sessions i got a service engine soon light. Was for the rear o2 sensor so im guessing i prolly had a small leak which was bigger once it got very hot! I reset it and drove home and it never came back. Same thing happend the 2nd day of the hpde event and again at the end of the day i reset it and its been about a month and it hasnt come back.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless it was backfiring like crazy, no, I don't think the tune caused your exhaust issue.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You turned up the boost then abused the car (not saying not to)

The answer is in your explanation of what happened.

Build ~ Race ~ break ~ repeat

As was stated above you probably had a small exhaust leak prior to cranking up the boost and beating on it.
Old May 18, 2015, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Also i dont see how wires can get burned there isnt really any by there so what got burned?
Old May 19, 2015, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Visited my car yesterday so I could see exactly where the leak was. Turns out if was the manifold and it blew a hole in the head shied. The box in question is on the fire wall above the manifold. Probably just something that's been a long time coming after several yeas of abuse. Funny thing is I set my best two lap times ever on that track earlier in that session. Guess **** just happens on the track.