Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Where does the oil go???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Yea gonna say that people actually recommend T6 over and over for our cars. And also according to people who have had there oil tested at blackstone labs and according to bob the oil guy its pretty good stuff. Prolly should do a bit more research on it before you list all these negative things about it.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by roach85
Rotella T6 is for diesel engines, I would not use that. There is a reason it is designed for diesel and not gasoline. The higher content of zinc is not good for the catalytic converters in gasoline cars. Diesel engine oil has a higher viscosity, you will have excessive heat generation from internal fluid friction and on cold starts the oil will be thick and harder for the oil pump to circulate it. Diesel oil has more additives per volume than oil for gasoline engines. The additive will try and clean the cylinder walls and will have a negative effect on the seal between the rings and the liner. This results in lost compression and efficiency. Now time for all the, I have been running T6 for 100,000k miles with no issue comments

Any oil with high ZDDP is going to bad for the cat, not just T6.

In bold is simply bad information. If it did that in gasoline engines, it would do the same thing in a diesel engine because both engine types are susceptible to over fueling causing cylinder wash down and excessive ring/cylinder wear. There is no additive to clean the cylinders. If there was, the oil would clean itself off of every other surface in the engine, like camshaft lobes, and cause major issues in other areas as well.

As far as viscosity, 5w30 vs 5w40...they're the same when cold, which is 5wt. At operating temp they are a 30wt and 40wt oil, respectively. That means that at operating temp there will be more oil pressure, if there is head room for it, or the excess pressure will go through the bypass valve. So, your cold start theory is also wrong.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Any oil with high ZDDP is going to bad for the cat, not just T6.

In bold is simply bad information. If it did that in gasoline engines, it would do the same thing in a diesel engine because both engine types are susceptible to over fueling causing cylinder wash down and excessive ring/cylinder wear. There is no additive to clean the cylinders. If there was, the oil would clean itself off of every other surface in the engine, like camshaft lobes, and cause major issues in other areas as well.

As far as viscosity, 5w30 vs 5w40...they're the same when cold, which is 5wt. At operating temp they are a 30wt and 40wt oil, respectively. That means that at operating temp there will be more oil pressure, if there is head room for it, or the excess pressure will go through the bypass valve. So, your cold start theory is also wrong.
Diesel engines produce a lot of soot compared to gas engines. There is a difference between diesel oil and gasoline engine oil. I did not post that to start a debate. I did not look at the weight T6 offers. I assumed it was 15w40 like all the tractors and straight jobs I work on. All the IH, KW, Petes, Sterlings, Freightliner, Mack I work on all take 15w40.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 02:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by roach85
Diesel engines produce a lot of soot compared to gas engines. There is a difference between diesel oil and gasoline engine oil. I did not post that to start a debate. I did not look at the weight T6 offers. I assumed it was 15w40 like all the tractors and straight jobs I work on. All the IH, KW, Petes, Sterlings, Freightliner, Mack I work on all take 15w40.

Right, the oil having the ability to clean that soot off of parts thanks to detergents has absolutely nothing to do with the oil's ability to stick to the cylinder wall and provide lubrication for the rings. If diesel engine oil caused cylinder wall/ring issues in gas engines, it would do the same in a diesel engine. The actual difference between the oils is that off the shelf diesel oil is actually better then off the shelf gas engine oil due to high ZDDP content. However, the high ZDDP content is bad for catalysts, and not generally required in modern gasoline engines. When you buy racing oils for gas engines, you get the higher ZDDP content. So, yes, there is a difference, but you are wrong in thinking/posting that these differences have negative effects on a gasoline engine.

The only concern with using diesel oil, or any high ZDDP content engine oil is catalyst life.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I just want to say that the only people that i've ever heard talk smack about T6 know absolutely nothing, yet think they know it all. Is it the best DD oil? Nah. Is it the best racing oil? Nah. Does it to both really damn well? Abso****inglutely. Is it the best bang for the buck for race cars? Abso****inglutely. Is roach an idiot? Abso****inglutely.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
thats not true, my evo (had it up 43k, next owner just sold it at 60k last week) never ate a drop of oil.. and I had a catch can on it too... only car I ever had that didn't eat any oil, also the only turbo car I've owned. I used Castrol Edge 5W-30 in it, not sure what the next owner used.
You had a catch can so that would eliminate any kind of small consumption with yours. Im not saying engines drink oil like an Irishman at a pub lol its just a normal that there is a slight consumption. GM vehicles are the worse imo.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 09:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by obake214
You had a catch can so that would eliminate any kind of small consumption with yours. Im not saying engines drink oil like an Irishman at a pub lol its just a normal that there is a slight consumption. GM vehicles are the worse imo.

Catch cans do not eliminate oil consumption. They simply "catch" the oil before it enter the intake tract..
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Catch cans do not eliminate oil consumption. They simply "catch" the oil before it enter the intake tract..
Sorry I didn't give a specific definition of a catch can and went off the assumption people would understand what I said. You still eliminate oil consumption bc like you said it catches the oil, it prevents from burning it off through the intake ( which is consider consumption) .. Some people can call this consuming, some can call it storing ( is the glass half full or half empty ) .. I have seen people recycle the oil from the catch can. So its ones opinion of how they look at it. my post was for the OP and not about a technical teaching of a catch can.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:13 PM
EvoM Guru

He said, "my car never ate oil." Which obviously means he never had to add any, it was never low. You said, "because catchcan." Which implies you think he catch can cause the zero oil loss. Don't try and back pedal on semantics...
Old Aug 5, 2015, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

OP said he was consuming 3/4 of an quart in 2k miles... someone else wanted to chime in that they did not have an oil consumption. Not sure if you read that to understand why I replied to what he said and if it was for my verbage of using "eliminate" , if that's what your getting at then I apologize for using that word. Im not here to argue with anyone but give my 2 cents from what I have learn over my years of working/dealing with cars.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 01:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
He said, "my car never ate oil." Which obviously means he never had to add any, it was never low. You said, "because catchcan." Which implies you think he catch can cause the zero oil loss. Don't try and back pedal on semantics...
my thoughts are more inline with letsgetthingdone. I define eating oil with having to add oil. and the thing is, I never got oil in the catch can... idk if it was a really crappy catch can and the oil just went through anyway or what. I gave up checking it regularly after the first 5k miles of having it, just checked every oil change and it was still always empty. basically turned out to be a useless mod in my book. and I don't exactly baby my car around either... I'd redline it at least a couple times every time I drove

My Mustang has a really nice catch can and it actually catches oil... I added the catch can to that after actually observing some oil consumption, whereas with the Evo I just got it cause I wanted to be cool or something
Old Aug 5, 2015, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

That's the thing why is it being implied that I'm saying engines eat oil? Im not saying its going to happen all the time but why do you think every manufacture comes out with a specification of oil consumption? An engine can consume .2 of a quart and it not be noticeable by checking the level. So that's the catch how can you specifically know your consuming oil or not? Consuming does mean you have an issue unless you know the amount compared to spec.

Then about a catch can like you said yours still bypassed oil. that's a hit or miss from how well the part is manufactured. Im not saying if you install a catch it will fix oil consumption but it helps by trapping oil to be reused or discarded upon owners choice and if something in a previous post came off wrong then my bad people. Im human
Old Aug 5, 2015, 03:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
That's the thing why is it being implied that I'm saying engines eat oil? Im not saying its going to happen all the time but why do you think every manufacture comes out with a specification of oil consumption? An engine can consume .2 of a quart and it not be noticeable by checking the level. So that's the catch how can you specifically know your consuming oil or not? Consuming does mean you have an issue unless you know the amount compared to spec.

Then about a catch can like you said yours still bypassed oil. that's a hit or miss from how well the part is manufactured. Im not saying if you install a catch it will fix oil consumption but it helps by trapping oil to be reused or discarded upon owners choice and if something in a previous post came off wrong then my bad people. Im human
just to clear things up, I was in no way offended nor did I mean my comments in any derogatory way. Just stating my experience and opinion.

that being said, my evo didn't consume any oil by any definition. I filled it to the second dot on the dip stick and thats where it was everytime I checked the oil and everytime I changed it, for the whole time I owned the car and the time the next owner had it (I talked to him when he sold it a couple weeks ago). he said it had 60k on it when he sold it
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hispanicpanic
I just want to say that the only people that i've ever heard talk smack about T6 know absolutely nothing, yet think they know it all. Is it the best DD oil? Nah. Is it the best racing oil? Nah. Does it to both really damn well? Abso****inglutely. Is it the best bang for the buck for race cars? Abso****inglutely. Is roach an idiot? Abso****inglutely.
You clearly can not read, when did I "trash talk" T6? I never said it was bad oil, I said it was diesel oil. I personally would not buy an oil based off price, I run Brad Penn. If you want to buy cheap priced oil, Im assuming you are cheap, then go right ahead. The best part of your comment was when you called me an idiot. That is a clear case of the pot calling the kettle black. You are the guy who could not figure out how to heat wrap a downpipe. That would clearly push you past the label of an idiot and far into the mentally handicapped region. Good day sir, and Ill cheer for you at this years Special Olympics.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
lol this roach guy is all but hurt because someone called him on his bad info...

Quick Reply: Where does the oil go???