Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stock turbine housing replacement

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 02:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock turbine housing replacement

Hi all, I've got a stock Evo X turbo with severe damage to the turbine housing. Aside from the housing the turbo appears to be in good shape and despite the damage was still making 20+ psi when I removed it.

Does anyone know where I might find a replacement housing or know of a shop that can repair it for me? Seems like a waste to let it rot on my shelf, I'd like to resurrect it and resell it.

Old Mar 28, 2016, 06:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
There is no saving that. Toss it.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
There is no saving that. Toss it.
Are you talking about the housing specifically or the whole turbo? I realized later it kind of sounded like I wanted to repair this housing, which is obviously not happening. Can none of the rest of the turbo be reused? As far as I can tell the compressor side and the mid section/bearings seem fine.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 02:54 PM
EvoM Guru

The turbo is probably fine as long as the turbine didn't eat any pieces. But the turbine housing is the hard to find part. Lots of guys have problems similar to yours.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 07:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I had Ian from Turbo Labs Of America do a full rebuild of my turbo. ** HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
Sent them an old cracked shaity FP turbo, he put a bigger(new) exhaust housing, custom billet compressor wheel, ported, balanced and upgraded to a 25g. Believe its also referred to as a TD06H4? All of that plus shipping was only around $750!!!!!!!!!
Made 510hp 400tq @30lbs on pump gas with it. Now going sleeves and getting more work done, then up the boost and put her on e85. Should be around 650 @ 35lbs ish.. Id say thats prob the max for this turbo. Best option for staying stock frame IMO.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by RBadrenaline
I had Ian from Turbo Labs Of America do a full rebuild of my turbo. ** HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
Sent them an old cracked shaity FP turbo, he put a bigger(new) exhaust housing, custom billet compressor wheel, ported, balanced and upgraded to a 25g. Believe its also referred to as a TD06H4? All of that plus shipping was only around $750!!!!!!!!!
Made 510hp 400tq @30lbs on pump gas with it. Now going sleeves and getting more work done, then up the boost and put her on e85. Should be around 650 @ 35lbs ish.. Id say thats prob the max for this turbo. Best option for staying stock frame IMO.
Thanks, I'll look into turbo labs for getting it repaired. I've already replaced it with an MHI-18K in my car.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by RBadrenaline
Who made that turbine housing? I would GUESS that it is a china turbine housing that doesn't have the durability of even the OEM MHI housing or say a Garrett housing. I would love to hear someone with experience with such a turbine housing; specifically TRACK (road/race) experience where heat is going to be extreme..

~Jaraxle
Old Apr 3, 2016, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by KVandy15
Thanks, I'll look into turbo labs for getting it repaired. I've already replaced it with an MHI-18K in my car.
I talked to turbo labs and he said he's got a few used ones that are less broken than mine but nothing good enough to warrant rebuilding it. So seems like I'm basically out of luck for the time being. Maybe something will come available in the future.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 04:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Your CHRA is probably fine. You can sell the turbo, minus the hot side, to someone who's stock turbo needs rebuilt but they don't want the down time.