Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can't get this turbo to mount!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2016, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't get this turbo to mount!

Hey all! I'm wrapping up a turbo swap. Installing the MHI 18k from Force Performance. I've got the turbo in the car, but I can't seem to get all three brackets to line up properly, any advice?

There are three brackets, the exhaust downpipe, and the exhaust manifold. I've gotten the center bracket, and driver side bracket attached, and then I can't get passenger side bracket attached and vice versa. I've removed the exhaust to give it freedom of movement, loosened everything.... I just can't get it!
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by h4ckluserr
Hey all! I'm wrapping up a turbo swap. Installing the MHI 18k from Force Performance. I've got the turbo in the car, but I can't seem to get all three brackets to line up properly, any advice?

There are three brackets, the exhaust downpipe, and the exhaust manifold. I've gotten the center bracket, and driver side bracket attached, and then I can't get passenger side bracket attached and vice versa. I've removed the exhaust to give it freedom of movement, loosened everything.... I just can't get it!
Is it a stock downpipe(O2 housing specifically)? Most aftermarket downpipes delete the hole for the downpipe bracket so maybe you are missing the bolt hole you seek on the passenger side. Most people just delete the downpipe bracket when switching to aftermarket DP. If that's not it I guess we'd probably need some more details, is it even close to fitting?

Edit: I should have checked your sig, but yea you probably don't have a bolt hole for the downpipe side bracket anymore, I'd just leave that one out and run with just the center and driver side brackets.
Edit2: Looks like Agency power DP is just the bottom end, so maybe I was wrong after-all, no that's not possible, nobody posts the wrong answer on the internet and lives to tell about it.

Last edited by KVandy15; Apr 6, 2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old Apr 6, 2016, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

As you saw, I don't have that piece as aftermarket, it's just the lower piece. I'm not *completely* concerned with getting that third one in there because so many aftermarket pieces delete it. Either way, if I can get it mounted back up I would like to. No reason to deny the extra support if I can get it am I right?

My current plan is to take off the air intake flange to make the drivers side bracket easier to work with, disconnect the test pipe for ease of movement, and remove the center bolt. If I get the two outer bolts to line up, the center one should line up perfectly.

If it doesn't... guess what's not getting a bolt?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

So I got the turbo mounted. I ended up taking a top down approach. I bolted things down in this order.

1. Loosely bolted the driver side bracket, the center bracket, and downpipe to the cat delete pipe.
2. Bolted exhaust manifold to block
3. loosely bolted turbo to exhaust manifold
4. properly torqued all bolts in step 1
5. Completely bolted turbo and exhaust mani

It was a tedious way to do it, but in the end everything lined up perfectly. Now I can finish putting in the intake piping and I'm ready for flush, fill, leak test, fill, and a test drive!