Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Planning build cam turbo advice plz

Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Planning build cam turbo advice plz

First off I understand there has been close to a million threads about cams and I have read just about all of them. I wanted to share my goals and wants and hopefully get helpful advice. So go ahead and troll (prefer u not) or just be helpful. Thanks

2013 x gsr
Ams tbe
Ets hard piping and 3.5 in i/c
Aem intake
Id 1300
Exedy stage 2 clutch
Areomotive 340 fuel pump
Torque solutions holder
Grimspeed 3 port
E85

Currently 408 hp 368 trq dyno jet

Cams first then next year turbo

Goals I make what I make and I'm not concerned about my gains with new cams. I mainly want a nice Lopey sound for the time being.
For the future tho I'd like to get an fp red (best turbo for stock block imo)and see close to 500 hp E85 and 450ish pump
Way later future engine build bigger turbo no idea for a numbers goal (this is a big maybe)

With cams I'm stuck between getting gsc s2 ams tmp (not a big fan of ams tho) bc 280 or kelford c. Will the c's or 280's be to big for a stock block right now?. Or will they not even make sense unless I build my motor. If that's the case looks like I'm picking between tmp and s2? Car will not be launched and is not my dd so don't really care if it has a rough idle

Last edited by The_X_Effect; Aug 2, 2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Honestly I would just build the engine then I mean by the time you throw a bigger turbo on there even without cams you will be asking the connecting rods to pull pretty heavy duty especially with being tuned with e85, I mean I don't see how you could keep the torque down enough to not have it blow to pieces..imo good luck either way!
Old Aug 2, 2016, 01:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
For the power goals, GSC S1's will be perfect.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Honestly I would just build the engine then I mean by the time you throw a bigger turbo on there even without cams you will be asking the connecting rods to pull pretty heavy duty especially with being tuned with e85, I mean I don't see how you could keep the torque down enough to not have it blow to pieces..imo good luck either way!
Not sure if I want to do a full build tho. And I'd like to switch over to pump at some point or at least have tunes for both fuels. What about just an fp red with stock cams will that help keep the trq down?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Efr 7670
Old Aug 3, 2016, 03:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FrenziedTom
Efr 7670
This kit looks nice...how is your car holding up on it with e85. Stock block? I believe I saw ur thread on evoxforums. U have mx1 cams still? What r your numbers and how many miles with the kit. Any issues?

Thanks 4 feedback!

I just noticed ur sig. Says u have a top Mount r u using that on a stock block?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The_X_Effect
This kit looks nice...how is your car holding up on it with e85. Stock block? I believe I saw ur thread on evoxforums. U have mx1 cams still? What r your numbers and how many miles with the kit. Any issues?

Thanks 4 feedback!

I just noticed ur sig. Says u have a top Mount r u using that on a stock block?
yes top mount stock block. i have stock cams. car runs great no issues whatsoever, just took it on a trip to texas and back which was 3k miles total and not one hiccup. My car is at around 560whp corrected. stock cams
Old Aug 3, 2016, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

yes top mount stock block. i have stock cams. car runs great no issues whatsoever, just took it on a trip to texas and back which was 3k miles total and not one hiccup. My car is at around 560whp corrected. stock cams
Damn that's a lot of power for the stock block. Impressive tho. What r ur Torque numbers? Would cams say the gsc s2 put u over the limit?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Who made your kit?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Im guessing driven fabrication

Last edited by The_X_Effect; Aug 3, 2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Turbos function within an RPM range and it sounds like you want the FP Red. Why not pick a cam that functions in the same range--that's what will work the best. As to all out HP numbers, not the best way to insure drivability...then again, you wanted a cam for the idle sound. Just saying. Good Luck.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meckert
Turbos function within an RPM range and it sounds like you want the FP Red. Why not pick a cam that functions in the same range--that's what will work the best. As to all out HP numbers, not the best way to insure drivability...then again, you wanted a cam for the idle sound. Just saying. Good Luck.
Yeah I like the red and maybe attach it to a tubular manifold...I like the s2's just want to see what cam would work best with the red
Old Aug 3, 2016, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
I think there are also Cosworth and Tomei cams available for the 4B11T. One way or another, they are all pretty nice.

I rarely see aftermarket cams with stock turbo builds for our cars. I too love the lopey sound which is about as satisfying as puffing an OpusX to me, although I'm wondering too if such cam upgrade is worth the work and other negative impacts, such as a potential MPG drop.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

I'm on E85 gas mileage is already out the window.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

So basically I would like 500 whp and trq somewhere around 360-380 tops....with my mods and E85 would gsc s2 and fp red be to much....I like the s2s cause I can keep them if I build my block which I'm not sure about so would a smaller cam say mx1 be plenty to hit those numbers? Would a bigger turbo like the black help to keep trq down????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Planning build cam turbo advice plz