Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

camshaft mystery

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
camshaft mystery

Hey guys,

I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on cams and what kind of markings various types have. Purchased my car as part of a trade-in deal at a local dealership and after many long months of work fixing various pieces here and there I was able to have the car tuned by Kasey at Dyno Time Speed Works.

I'm running ID1000s I sourced from a reputable dealer. About a month ago the car began running lean and along the way I had the injectors flow checked and matched as a precautionary measure. Kasey mentioned a few times during the tune process that these were not tuning like any ID1000s he'd ever seen before and asked if the car had cams or not. I honestly had no idea.

Prior to Kasey getting the tune squared away the cars short term fuel maps would swing wildly around during idle and sometimes pop a p0171 or p0300. Once the weather changed and became cold I could literally count on that happening at least once per drive cycle.

When I first got the car I took things apart to a certain extent to see what I was getting myself into and noticed that the car had what looked to be a very clean cylinder head for 52k miles as well as some ARP headstuds. I tried to find information on camshaft markings and was only able to rule out GSC due to their not being any paint stripes.

Do stock cams have any specific markings I could look for? If so, are there any companies out there that did regrinds early on in the EvoX production cycle?

Any insight is really appreciated! Just trying to get to the bottom of this.
Attached Thumbnails camshaft mystery-2016-10-09_11-46-10_738.jpeg  
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Those looks like stock cams. The hex on the intake being longer than the exhaust, and the 2 stamped into it. If you spin the motor, the exhaust cam probably has a 2 as well.

You should be able to fit a caliper onto the lobes and measure lift. Measure the largest and smallest cross section of the lobe, subtract the two, and you'll have the lift. You can look the cams up from there. If you need to find duration, you'll either need to make a setup using a dial indicator and a degree wheel, or take the cams to someone with a cam doctor. I would just say eff it and toss some GSC S1's at it. Then you know what you have...lol.

Are you sure injectors are ID? It's hard to see if they have the blue top half in the pic.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 05:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Those looks like stock cams. The hex on the intake being longer than the exhaust, and the 2 stamped into it. If you spin the motor, the exhaust cam probably has a 2 as well.

You should be able to fit a caliper onto the lobes and measure lift. Measure the largest and smallest cross section of the lobe, subtract the two, and you'll have the lift. You can look the cams up from there. If you need to find duration, you'll either need to make a setup using a dial indicator and a degree wheel, or take the cams to someone with a cam doctor. I would just say eff it and toss some GSC S1's at it. Then you know what you have...lol.

Are you sure injectors are ID? It's hard to see if they have the blue top half in the pic.
That is excellent info - i'll snap to that tonight and report back. The plan is to install some S1s when I put the car down later this year for it's turbo upgrade for sure - heard nothing but good things about GSC (unlike Cosworth.)

On the injectors, I am certain they're not replicas. Before I installed them I took them to a local injector tuning shop and had them flow checked and matched. They also verified that they were not copies - that had been something that was on my mind at the time too. I'm new to Evos, but I don't think the X needs the blue adapter like the 8 and 9s do. These clipped straight into the fuel rail with no issues.

Thank you for the input - i'll be sure to report back with the lift findings.
-asher
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Ah, you're correct. The 1000's don't have the adapter.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I did get to the bottom of this.

I finally had the time to measure the lift while I had the valve cover off last night and findings are as follows:

IN: 10.3
EX: 9.65

After I got to these numbers I started looking at which cams they match - Kelford 214A fit the bill to the letter. Also explains why they don't have any markings - if I understand correctly the early stuff from Kelford didn't really have any identifying features.

-asher