Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Competition Stage 3 Clutch Review

Old Feb 8, 2017, 04:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Competition Stage 3 Clutch Review

2010 EvoX GSR
Miles: 62856
Clutch: Competition Clutch Stage 3 5153-2600 series
Mods: Injen Intake

Hi everyone so I had my clutch recently replaced on my 2010 EvoX GSR. The stock clutch had 62800 miles when it started slipping. I had the clutch replaced at 62856 miles and am in the break in period now.

I had the work done by Kaizen Tuning in Boxborough, Massachusetts. I was recommended to go with the Stage 3 since I plan to get Eva up to 400hp after my next assignment. The clutch feels completely different than stock. The engagement point is about 2-3 inches from the floor compared to stock which is about 6-8 inches. Its almost like having to learn how to drive all over again but it isnt too bad.

Once I finish the break in I will post some more about the clutch and how it feels, if Ive had any lock out issues, etc.

Update: 2/9/17

So today I drove down to Norfolk, VA from Worcester, MA. Let me tell you that was one hell of a drive. Took me 13 hours because of the snow storm today. Anyways I used this drive for breaking in my clutch. Now I know long drives arent the best way to break in a clutch, but because of the snow I did have to change speed and shift a lot. So that helped with that. I also had to change speed a lot when I got to Delaware because I took the 13 which was nothing but going from 55 to 45 mph and back and having to stop at the lights. I did my best to keep it out of boost when accelerating. There were only three times where I hit higher then 9psi so thats not too bad. My pedal issue seemed to take care of itself. It actually feels great now. The clutch definitely grabs better than stock. I havent had a chance to actually get into a high rpm range since I just broke it in but that will be happening this weekend.

Last edited by AJ18; Feb 9, 2017 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Updating
Old Feb 8, 2017, 09:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,321 Posts
Your stock clutch was so high for engagement because it was worn out lol. 2-3in off the floor is correct engagement point.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 07:59 PM

Makes sense. Pedal actually feels fine now.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 08:16 AM

Update: 2/12/17

I drove around yesterday and did some pulls and shifts. I was able to shift above 7000rpm without being locked out. The car feels great with this clutch.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 09:22 AM
EvoM Guru

I just put one of these in a X over the weekend, it drove surprisingly nice. Much better than it did in my car.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does this clutch compare to exedy twin, does anyone know?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for sharing this, any more info highly appreciated!
Looking at this clutch now as mine started slipping at 55K miles.

Letsgetthisdone: while the clutch is being replaced, do you recommend doing other things other than the 60K service?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
I hope you don't have my experience with that clutch lol. Felt great compared to stock but only lasted 10k miles. No launches, auto x, rough shifts or anything.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by PolloVagabundo
Thanks for sharing this, any more info highly appreciated!
Looking at this clutch now as mine started slipping at 55K miles.

Letsgetthisdone: while the clutch is being replaced, do you recommend doing other things other than the 60K service?
Install an ACT monoloc in the pressure plate. Also, get an OEM tob, throw away the one that comes with the clutch kit.

If you don't have an O2 eliminator/down pipe yet, those are easier to install with the passenger side axle removed.
The following users liked this post:
PolloVagabundo (Mar 23, 2017)
Old Apr 18, 2017, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

AJ18 - can we get an update on how this clutch is working out for you? thank you in advance!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:59 AM
EvoM Guru

The two I have installed for client's are working fine. Both have a few thousand miles on them and they have no complaints. Very nice clutch for the X.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

^Thanks LGTD!

The shop where I take my car said the CompClutch stage 3 kit comes with an OEM throwout bearing. And when I asked for the ACT monoloc collar upon installation, they said that is no problem but that would void Competition Clutches warranty.

So I'm going to let the shop install everything as they recommend so they can stand behind their work and product.

I was going to have the CMC upgraded to the AMS CMC but they said since my car is a 2014, it's not needed.

Very nervous to be honest for this install as i've never had a new clutch installed on any of my cars. And I have a 12hr road trip with the car the following day.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:17 AM

Hi everyone sorry I've been away. I was waiting till 5000 miles to update but since you asked I am at 67xxx miles. Almost 5000 since I had the clutch installed and so far I've had no problems. Granted I don't launch my car but I do drive it pretty hard. I've had no lock out issues and I've shifted when the fuel cut out because of the limiter. Once the clutch is broken in it feels real nice and almost like stock. I still recommend this clutch to those looking. There is some noise and chatter but not much I can do about that. You honestly can't hear it when you are driving with the radio on. Other than that it is a good clutch.
The following users liked this post:
PolloVagabundo (Apr 19, 2017)
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by PolloVagabundo
^Thanks LGTD!

The shop where I take my car said the CompClutch stage 3 kit comes with an OEM throwout bearing. And when I asked for the ACT monoloc collar upon installation, they said that is no problem but that would void Competition Clutches warranty.

So I'm going to let the shop install everything as they recommend so they can stand behind their work and product.

I was going to have the CMC upgraded to the AMS CMC but they said since my car is a 2014, it's not needed.

Very nervous to be honest for this install as i've never had a new clutch installed on any of my cars. And I have a 12hr road trip with the car the following day.
The comp kit does not come with an oem TOB. It comes with an unlabeled, made who knows where, turd...lol
Old Apr 19, 2017, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AJ18
Hi everyone sorry I've been away. I was waiting till 5000 miles to update but since you asked I am at 67xxx miles. Almost 5000 since I had the clutch installed and so far I've had no problems. Granted I don't launch my car but I do drive it pretty hard. I've had no lock out issues and I've shifted when the fuel cut out because of the limiter. Once the clutch is broken in it feels real nice and almost like stock. I still recommend this clutch to those looking. There is some noise and chatter but not much I can do about that. You honestly can't hear it when you are driving with the radio on. Other than that it is a good clutch.
Did you use an ACT Monoloc or an OEM throwout bearing?
Or did you just use what came with the clutch kit?

Thanks for the reviews!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Competition Stage 3 Clutch Review