Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost Activated Cutout

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost Activated Cutout

Hey guys, I'm planning on getting an English Racing boost activated cutout. I like being able to keep the stock sound and quiet when not using boost since this is my DD. I've looked all over and the only sound clips I can find are on the 8 and the 9, does anyone on here have this installed? I'm wanting to hear some sound clips or find out what it's like from someone with it on their X.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 05:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WW14
Hey guys, I'm planning on getting an English Racing boost activated cutout. I like being able to keep the stock sound and quiet when not using boost since this is my DD. I've looked all over and the only sound clips I can find are on the 8 and the 9, does anyone on here have this installed? I'm wanting to hear some sound clips or find out what it's like from someone with it on their X.
I just asked this same thing on the other forum like 2 weeks ago. Didn't get anything from anyone with first hand experience. I had a Tomei exhaust and it was too loud as a DD for me. I ordered the English Racing wastegate cutout about a week ago. I'll let you know more when I get it.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
If you want a quiet car while still using an aftermarket exhaust, then you need to pick up a quieter exhaust like the ETS Quiet. Just cutting out boost won't make your exhaust drone any quieter during normal driving because you shouldn't be hitting any positive pressure under a gentle acceleration.

If you want a quiet car, get a quiet exhaust.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Spartan716
I just asked this same thing on the other forum like 2 weeks ago. Didn't get anything from anyone with first hand experience. I had a Tomei exhaust and it was too loud as a DD for me. I ordered the English Racing wastegate cutout about a week ago. I'll let you know more when I get it.

alright sounds good! I just ordered mine yesterday and ill probably install it in a couple weeks
Old Feb 24, 2017, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Curious how you guys find the cutout. I looked into getting one when I had the Tomei system installed. Ended up just getting the HKS Super Turbo catback, it's much quieter.

Good luck with it!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by shekaar
Curious how you guys find the cutout. I looked into getting one when I had the Tomei system installed. Ended up just getting the HKS Super Turbo catback, it's much quieter.

Good luck with it!
I saw it while looking around for parts and thought it was an interesting concept not to mention it's a lot cheaper than a test pipe and cat back lol.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Epyon
If you want a quiet car while still using an aftermarket exhaust, then you need to pick up a quieter exhaust like the ETS Quiet. Just cutting out boost won't make your exhaust drone any quieter during normal driving because you shouldn't be hitting any positive pressure under a gentle acceleration.

If you want a quiet car, get a quiet exhaust.
I have a quiet exhaust now. Stock. Then at 12 psi it will be a monster again.

My Tomei is for sale in case anyone is interested
Old Feb 24, 2017, 07:47 AM

That was my thought on it too, like it?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

So what's the issue? If you want it to be quiet for daily driving then it will be, there's no reason to hit anywhere near 12psi from stoplight to stoplight or going down the highway unless you're purposely doing pulls. But once you start doing pulls it's supposed to be loud, otherwise people would just use the stock exhaust where you can't hear anything.

I guess I'm just not sure what exactly you guys are wanting. If the car is too loud while using a quiet exhaust, be more gentle with the throttle.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Epyon
So what's the issue? If you want it to be quiet for daily driving then it will be, there's no reason to hit anywhere near 12psi from stoplight to stoplight or going down the highway unless you're purposely doing pulls. But once you start doing pulls it's supposed to be loud, otherwise people would just use the stock exhaust where you can't hear anything.

I guess I'm just not sure what exactly you guys are wanting. If the car is too loud while using a quiet exhaust, be more gentle with the throttle.
What are you talking about? The idea is that the Tomei is always too loud all the time: idle, slow roll, highway. I only want to sound like a racecar when I drive it like a race car- over 12 psi.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
What are you talking about? The idea is that the Tomei is always too loud all the time: idle, slow roll, highway. I only want to sound like a racecar when I drive it like a race car- over 12 psi.
English Racing posted a video of the boost cutout on a X in the dyno forum. I guess you've seen this already though.

Last edited by moparfan; Feb 24, 2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was also interested into the ER Cutout until recently, opted to go testpipe stock exhaust for now. If it's possible, can you guys who got it post vids of it in action? the ER vid didn't really go full WOT for a long time.. he just "tickled it a bit"
Old Feb 26, 2017, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by villajer
I was also interested into the ER Cutout until recently, opted to go testpipe stock exhaust for now. If it's possible, can you guys who got it post vids of it in action? the ER vid didn't really go full WOT for a long time.. he just "tickled it a bit"
Yeah I plan on making a video after I get mine installed, should be about 2 weeks or so and I'll post it in here
Old Mar 3, 2017, 05:17 AM

I hope to have time this weekend to put it in. Quality looks very good.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 06:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this from ER? the angle of the cutout looks steeper than how it looks on their site. Unless you requested it..

Quick Reply: Boost Activated Cutout