Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo X Fuel smell in cabin when weather is hot

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2017, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X Fuel smell in cabin when weather is hot

My 2010 GSR has no signs of fuel leaks. its strong mostly from the trunk but seeps through the seats where I start to smell it. Been dealing with it since I bought it and its starting to drive me nuts. Anyone have any fixes? Because every shop has been practically useless other then saying to replace the charcoal canister. But why just the heat? Doesn't matter if tank is full or near empty. same results. Please Help

Last edited by evojesse; Mar 17, 2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
It could be the charcoal canister, it basically collects fumes and sends them to the intake. The reason it would be more prevalent in the heat is because there's more pressure. I actually had a clog in the hard line going from the charcoal canister to the front of the car because the dip**** gas station attendants would always over fill the tank, which leads to fuel getting into the canister and breaks down the material. I would only get a check engine light about EVAP flow during hot days.

So if you have a leak or a cracked line somewhere it could be causing an issue. Im not sure how technically inclined you are, but if you have an air compressor you can send low pressure air from the line at the front of the car and listen for leaks underneath.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Driver's side, under the car, tucked up under the rear bumper is the EVAP system/canister. Like mentioned, you have a leak there. Surprised you haven't popped a DCT yet if the leak is bad enough to allow fumes to permeate the cabin.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Have you replaced your fuel pump at any point? The seal between the gas tank and the lid could be compromised or maybe a line is a small leak that evaporates before dripping down to the ground. When I was road tuning a car back in 2012 I had an issue like this and it was permeating through the rear seat area really bad. The charcoal canister also makes sense to be a possible source.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump was upgraded and tank seal was replaced, but it was that doing it before. Something is going through the trunk vents and it seems to be worse this summer with this bad heat wave as well. I wonder if i can reroute the fume exit away from the air coming inside or it may just be safer to buy a low mile used canister. Sorry for very late reply lol. I also noticed when I crank the AC, the smell gets worse but it isn't that bad if I put the AC on lowest fan setting but that just may be the air circulating it from the back and not actually coming from the vents. Every time I check the trunk the smell is very dense and nothing from under the hood, it still has that new car engine bay smell when its hot. This is ridiculous Mitsubishi hasn't addressed the issue since it seems to be common with others as well. I don't even get any engine codes as well.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but Mine is doing this as well thanks to some record setting heat here in CO. It’s so bad that I have to leave my garage doors open or it will fill up my house after I park. My 2013 MR did it sometimes in extreme heat and my 2015 FE just did it for the first time today. Completely stock. One OBD code related to the rear O2 sensor. Any ideas?