Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Not Hitting Peak Boost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Hitting Peak Boost

This week my car started feeling very sluggish. The boost gauge shows that I hit expected boost from about 5500 rpm and up, but I have low mid-range torque due to only hitting 12-14 psi from 3500-5000ish rpm. Also, if I give it ~half throttle and let off at low rpm (2500), I hear a flutter noise. It sounds like a fluttering BOV but I know it's now the recirc valuve (because I can still hear the flutter a bit at around 3500 to 4000 rpm and I can distinctly hear the recirc valuve whooshing properly).

My suspicion is a leaky/loose wastegate actuator. What are your thoughts? I've attached a 2nd gear pull (sorry I didn't have time to go to a larger road for 3rd or 4th gear). Ignore the little spike at datapoints 205 to 210... I was going to pull through 3rd gear but someone pulled out in front of me.

Thanks so much for your help!
Attached Files
File Type: csv
datalog11.csv (30.2 KB, 0 views)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I forgot to mention the details of this particular car. It is stock except for a test pipe and Cobb stage 2 ots map. I know it's weird to have stock exhaust except for a test pipe but I wanted to hook up a wideband without welding...

A/F ratio looks okay... in the range of 11.5 to 12.3 through the power band at WOT.

I just took it for a drive and I was surprised to find the mid-range torque is back... I had ~24psi at about 4k rpm. It seems to be intermittent, and responds better when I slam on the throttle rather than roll onto it.

If the wastegate is remaining open (intermittently, apparently), is it because it's stuck or in need of adjustment, or is it the tune? Can someone confirm whether my wastegate duty cycle values look like normal?