Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

2nd clutch upgrade - Can you think of anything else?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2nd clutch upgrade - Can you think of anything else?

Hey guys!

My Exedy stage 2 took a so I'm going in for another upgrade. I'm at around 44k miles pushing 365whp(45k on the odometer) and the clutch is about as grippy as butter. I put the MHI 18k on about 2000 miles ago, without updating the tune. Not a huge deal because the turbo's are very similar to stock. HOWEVER, it's getting a tune immediately after the new clutch is installed. I'm going with Proven Power in Tampa if anyone knows the shop. I'm going to swap in a competition clutch stage 3 or 4. Likely the 4 because I'm anticipating pushing up on the 400HP mark if I tune it to peak power. I'm probably going to need a new flywheel I imagine too.

So my question to you all is this. If money were no object and you were going to open your transmission up, what all would you replace/upgrade at 45k miles? I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not missing anything. I'd love to have a bullet proof 400HP transmission

Current list is...
Clutch
Flywheel(Open to recommendations)

Thanks in advance everyone!

** EDIT ** It was asked a couple times, I swapped all of the parts in my signature into the car at around 400 miles on the odometer. I realize now that the title is a bit misleading!

Last edited by h4ckluserr; May 4, 2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

If only for brand solidarity, I'm looking at this CC flywheel, but I'm still researching....

Competition Clutch ultra lightweight steel fly wheel
Old May 4, 2017, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Uh.

The 18k is similar to stock only in appearance - so just take that at face value and we'll be bookmarking this as a link for your upcoming "blew my engine" thread.

In a perfect world I think we'd all be running Jacks or Shep Transmission/Transfercase, but in most cases that's not needed. If you're changing your transmission oil and not launching the car like an idiot then 45k miles shouldn't be a milestone worthy of having something like a transmission require repairs or upgrades.I see you have the Magnus CMC kit already - that would be my only suggestion if you hadn't done so already.

-asher
Old May 4, 2017, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

That's a fair point Asher! Forced performance were the ones that told me that because I'm already tuned using the factory, it would be satisfactory for awhile until I can get it re-tuned. Irrelevant at this point since it's getting tuned after the new clutch/flywheel is replaced. Regardless though, It's been babied around town since it doesn't have an updated tune, hell It's been like 3 years since I've used launch control, couldn't even tell you the last time before then. Not trying to talk my own point down but it realistically hasn't even been 2k I'm just estimating. This car isn't my daily, so it's not hurting me sitting more often than not. Not a fan of $10k engine rebuilds. I could build an LS Miata for that price tag. lol

For my needs I definitely don't need/want a Jacks or Shep setup, the most aggressive thing this thing does is blast up to speed to merge onto the highway, it's wasted on me.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The stock transmission can already more than handle 400whp. You need to asses how you're abusing the car to keeping wearing out clutches.

Get a comp stage 3.5 with flywheel and you'll be fine.
The following users liked this post:
h4ckluserr (May 4, 2017)
Old May 4, 2017, 02:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Coming from personal experience, I'd avoid Proven Power.

Also, how are you driving the car? I put almost 50,000 miles on my X (currently has 96K) and its still on a stock clutch with 400whp on e85 and 370 on 93. I have a very spirited way of driving and the thing still holds really well.

Just curious as to how you went through 2 clutches in the same amount I've had 1.
Old May 4, 2017, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KRome
Coming from personal experience, I'd avoid Proven Power.

Also, how are you driving the car? I put almost 50,000 miles on my X (currently has 96K) and its still on a stock clutch with 400whp on e85 and 370 on 93. I have a very spirited way of driving and the thing still holds really well.

Just curious as to how you went through 2 clutches in the same amount I've had 1.
Why would you recommend against them, and where would you recommend I go instead? I don't have a shop in the area.

I'd say that I'm a spirited driver. Occasional bursts of speed on the highway and stuff, but nothing even remotely challenging for the car. It's important to note that I had the stock clutch out under 1k miles, so it's about 45k on the exedy stage 2.
Old May 4, 2017, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The stock transmission can already more than handle 400whp. You need to asses how you're abusing the car to keeping wearing out clutches.

Get a comp stage 3.5 with flywheel and you'll be fine.
That's what I'm leaning towards, I was just wondering if there was anything else to consider while they have it open. I'm not even sure the rear main seal is worth replacing at 45k.

I should have mentioned this in the original post, so I think I'll edit it. I put that entire mod list in my signature(except the turbo) on at around 400 miles on the odometer. So I've only gone through one clutch in about 45k miles.
Old May 4, 2017, 07:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by h4ckluserr
Why would you recommend against them, and where would you recommend I go instead? I don't have a shop in the area.

I'd say that I'm a spirited driver. Occasional bursts of speed on the highway and stuff, but nothing even remotely challenging for the car. It's important to note that I had the stock clutch out under 1k miles, so it's about 45k on the exedy stage 2.

I'm not really into going into details on a public forum and possibly slandering a shop so I apologize that I can't give you a definitive reason as to avoid them. All I can say is based on the dealings I had with them with my other car that I did not have a good experience.

The problem with Tampa is that it is one of the worst spots for performance tuning for import cars. There are not a lot of honest shops and the ones that are charge an arm an a leg for work. This is why since 2009 I have done 95% of the work on my cars from engine building to body modifications. Maybe get with me or some experienced locals to help you out and drop the transmission to change the clutch yourself. It'll be more rewarding as well.

Have you done the 4th or 5th gear test yet to make sure it is the clutch that is slipping? If you're not familiar with the test, you get around 40-50mph and depress the accelerator 100% and see if the RPM's shoot up rapidly. Also, if you have a boost gauge you'll notice you won't be creating target boost as well.
Old May 5, 2017, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

Of course, respecting the dignity of our local businesses is always a great idea. Would you be willing to DM me a completely objective version of what happened? They're about to open my car up and I want to heed your warning. However, every shop I called had something bad to say about another shop and no one was willing to tell me why. Proven Power is actually the first people I called that were enthusiastic about the project, seemed knowledgeable, and had nothing but good things to say about the community.

I'm legitimately on the fence about taking it out to Titan in Orlando. A little bit more but they took amazing car of my car when they built it while I was overseas. trailored it to Orlando from
Cocoa Beach, did the work, and then picked me up from the airport when I got home from Iraq. It was amazing.
Old May 5, 2017, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I know you changed out your cmc already, but I'll add this for others reading here. I had instances of clutch slippage every so often when driving aggressively. My stock cmc on my 2015 started leaking at around 27k, after I got it changed, to a warrantied factory cmc, the car/clutch has worked much better. No more random slippage. I feel like it was probably dieing from almost the beginning.

Last edited by moparfan; May 5, 2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old May 8, 2017, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

@moparfan - When my CMC went out, I was at a light in a major intersection. Clutch went straight to the floor. Fortunately it broke 100 ft from a mechanic. Ordered the magnuc CMC on the spot and he installed it for me. lol

Such a lucky break.
Old May 17, 2017, 01:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
First thing you need to do is go Go to an EVO proven shop!
When i did my clutch, i went with a hks twin disc ftw!
Old May 18, 2017, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DRAGHICI
First thing you need to do is go Go to an EVO proven shop!
When i did my clutch, i went with a hks twin disc ftw!
Trust me, I'd love it if I could find a directory of Evo proven shops in the Tampa area.

it seem's a popular consensus that Competition Clutches are the most popular from what I've seen around here.(Just from what I've seen!) What made you lean towards hks?
Old May 19, 2017, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

After calling every shop in my area that was recommended to me.(literally...) I decided to bite the bullet and deal with the logistics of taking the car back to Titan Motorsports in Orlando. After discussing it with the shop, here is what we're putting in.

Competition Clutch Stage 2 - Street Series
Competition Clutch 11 lb Steel Flywheel
ACT Monoloc Collar
Retune for new turbo
For those who expressed concern about it being on the road without an updated tune for the new turbo; thank you, and wanted to let you know it's officially off the road and in the garage. The next time it puts down anything more than idle to roll it into the shop will be for the dyno.

As always, thanks for the input EvoM!

Quick Reply: 2nd clutch upgrade - Can you think of anything else?