Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Taking a chance - Cavalli BB Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 03:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Where a car/setup hits 300wtq or 400wtq is really what I look for.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 03:32 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
"Full boost" is relative. I'm interested in where they see 20psi. Before my mystery incident, I was seeing 20psi around 3600. Now it's 3800+ which seems like forever. I'm thinking about selling and gong back to an HTA 71.
​​​​
Old Jun 28, 2017, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
We all are looking for something. I look for when 200ft-lb is made to the wheels. Too high and it won't be fun on the daily. Light to light. Next is when 400hp is made at the wheels. IF we have a good baseline (either that car or an established dyno that does stock EVOS). VD CAN be used in a pinch and be fairly consistent if people don't screw with the correction or weights. As I mentioned before; I think the constant diameter turbine on the COMP turbo this thing is based on, isn't really designed to spool. Instead it is meant for WAAYYY top end (think quarter mile v8). Essentially the exhaust side is favored for flow (at the cost of spool) TOO much. I believe (and others) that the COMP turbo turbine just isn't a good match for the 4b11. That is without getting into reliability and whatnot.

~Jaraxle
Old Jun 28, 2017, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really do appreciate all of the feedback and discussion. I will be the first to admit that Cavalli as a brand sucks. Their phone support isn't good, and the dudes at Comp aren't very professional.

But so far it hasn't blown up, so that's a plus. But there's still time. Either way, for the amount I paid I am satisfied. If I wanted to spend a few hundred dollars more I would've gladly went for something else and something bigger too. I don't expect to see over 450whp on E85 @ 30psi. The question is how long is stays together.

Again, I don't claim to know more than anyone else here. Just trying to show what this turbo is doing on this particular car. I will post up logs as soon as we get to WOT tuning on E85. It's been turned down so far on 93.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
June 7th

Originally Posted by JericM
I took more logs late last night, I will post them up late tonight
June 26th

Car is running great, turbo has been rock solid.
June 27th

I'll post logs once we get on E85 and actually finish the tune this week. .
June 28th

I will post up logs as soon as we get to WOT tuning on E85.
Keep dancing around. Dancing around. Dancing around.

Just trying to show what this turbo is doing on this particular car.
No you aren't, you aren't showing anything. The only thing you have shown is something proving you are 100% incorrect in your statement that the turbo hits full boost before 4,000 rpm.

Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
June 7th

June 26th

June 27th

June 28th

Keep dancing around. Dancing around. Dancing around.

No you aren't, you aren't showing anything. The only thing you have shown is something proving you are 100% incorrect in your statement that the turbo hits full boost before 4,000 rpm.
I see you edited your post 3 separate times. You must really have an interest in me to go through all the trouble. I'm not sure why you feel the need to exert yourself over something so petty. Not everyone can have a life outside of the internet I guess.

I have nothing to prove to you or the rest of this forum. But just for kicks I will gladly post another vydno on 93.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:43 PM

This isn't a pretty log, but it's all I've got from the last couple weeks. We had multiple issues Chet was attempting to work out, mostly fuel related.

This was before we put in the walbro 450 to cure the issues with knock, car made considerably less power since it was pulling timing, but gives you all an idea of the spool. I need to take another log now that I've got 2 revisions since this run.

Hate on.

Taking a chance - Cavalli BB Turbo-pzi8r2n.jpg
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Still don't see full boost at 3,800 rpm like you had claimed. Do you have the log or do you just want to keep dancing around it?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Damn... that's a few hundred RPM later than my journal bearing Black.

You read my mind.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Here's a local Evo X tuned on E85 running the Cavalli stage 2 and bolt-on's. I know the shop that tuned this car. Anyways there's no boost plot but you can figure out what it looks like by looking at the powerband.

Old Jun 29, 2017, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

OP after seeing the chart I posted above I have no idea why your tuner is suggesting you go with a walbro 450 pump. Seems unnecessary for your stage 1 turbo
Old Jun 29, 2017, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by e_kobz
OP after seeing the chart I posted above I have no idea why your tuner is suggesting you go with a walbro 450 pump. Seems unnecessary for your stage 1 turbo
That makes no sense. You haven't viewed a single datalog of my car, you are purely speculating. Re-read my earlier post with high IDC.

If you're trying to say that it won't make enough power based on that stage 2 graph, look at his fuel system. ID1000 and DW65C means he was probably held back by his fuel system which would explain lower numbers. There have been stg2 cars making 470+.

Also, looking at your dyno plots, you make peak tq near the same rpm as me.

lol.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 08:12 AM
EvoM Guru

All I keep seeing are false claims and excuses.

:shrug:
Old Jun 29, 2017, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by razorlab
All I keep seeing are false claims and excuses.

:shrug:
Whatever makes you sleep better at night! I'd be pissed too if I blew up my stock car, just a few months after buying it.

I will post final results when it's done.

Last edited by JericM; Jun 29, 2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

That makes no sense. You haven't viewed a single datalog of my car, you are purely speculating. Re-read my earlier post with high IDC.

If you're trying to say that it won't make enough power based on that stage 2 graph, look at his fuel system. ID1000 and DW65C means he was probably held back by his fuel system which would explain lower numbers. There have been stg2 cars making 470+.

Also, looking at your dyno plots, you make peak tq near the same rpm as me.

lol.
So your car make a 330wtq at 4400rpm. MY car, with the MHI 18k, makes 330wtq at 3500rpm and 420wtq at 4000rpm.

The graph I posted shows a E85 tuned Evo X with bolt-ons and a cavalli stage 2 making peak torque at 4800rpm. This is a local shop that I know of and their dyno reads extremely high. I would subtract 20whp and 20wtq if this was on a dynojet.

And the reason I say it's silly you're going to run a 450 is because it is pure overkill. A DW300c or a ASNU FP330E pump is more than sufficient for your needs. Not being rude, just honest here, but your car with that turbo will never approach the limits of a Wally 450 on E85. It's overkill and you have to ditch your fuel filter in order to run one or run a surge tank with a 450 or run an in tank 450 with an external fuel filter. And FYI most external filters are junk and do not meet OEM standards. Only one I would trust is the new ID fuel filter.

But your right, I haven't viewed a single datalog of your car. Maybe if you posted some we would be able to.....

Quick Reply: Taking a chance - Cavalli BB Turbo