Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch pedal stuck

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 12:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clutch pedal stuck

I wasn't going to post this because all of my searching everyone says it's the CMC, but no one recommends what else to check.

If I was driving and my clutch pedal decided to get stuck in, am I **** out of luck replacing the cmc, is there anything else I should check along with it? Luckily after reading hollywoods repair instructions it's a lot simpler than a clutch replacement. But I want to check all my basis (since this happened after an accidental launch, that got me no less than two oversized pair of panties thrown at me).

Help, recommendations, anything to further my investigation would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 11, 2017, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Rasperin
I wasn't going to post this because all of my searching everyone says it's the CMC, but no one recommends what else to check.

If I was driving and my clutch pedal decided to get stuck in, am I **** out of luck replacing the cmc, is there anything else I should check along with it? Luckily after reading hollywoods repair instructions it's a lot simpler than a clutch replacement. But I want to check all my basis (since this happened after an accidental launch, that got me no less than two oversized pair of panties thrown at me).

Help, recommendations, anything to further my investigation would be greatly appreciated.

Generally CMCs just don't "get stuck" unless there is a failure in the slave cylinder, a leak in the hydraulic line, or something physically blocking the pedal or clutch release arm.

It's a pretty straightforward system; there's not a lot to check - just check your fluid level and search for leaks. If this becomes an ongoing issue then you might want to start digging a little bit deeper.

-asher
Old May 11, 2017, 06:35 PM

Apparently I was wrong, so what happened was yes, clutch engaged all the way to the floor didn't come back up with me. Now that's it home, it's all the way back up, then has about 1inch of free play, then is super hard and won't depress any further.

I don't see any leaks anywhere, nothing is wet. I'm thinking maybe release the bleed valve on the slave cylinder to see if I get motion back. If not is it possible to check the throw out bearing without dropping the transmission?
Old May 12, 2017, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

If not is it possible to check the throw out bearing without dropping the transmission?
Afraid not - might be inclined to agree with people saying you have a CMC failure of some kind.

Is is the return assist spring still attached correctly to your clutch pedal assembly?

-asher
The following users liked this post:
Rasperin (May 13, 2017)
Old May 13, 2017, 08:03 PM

Return assist spring is still attached, I went ahead and decided that while I wait for the part I'd pull the slave cylinder out and remove the clutch spring. While doing that I got curious about the clutch fork since it was all the way forward (away from the slave cylinder) I pulled it back by hand and now it's dead center, I can't put pressure on it and push it back to it's original position (given that I have no idea what I'm doing, spent a bunch of time researching that I didn't just screw myself over), it appears not. I'm hoping I'm right on that . So everything is uninstalled (master cylinder and slave cylinder, slave mostly just for the spring) and I'm waiting for the part to come in.

Thanks for the help so far static!
Old May 13, 2017, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Sounds exactly like my problem! Clip popped off throw out bearing/ clutch fork inside the tranny and cant be put back unless you drop the tranny.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Sound like this?

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60555

http://www.socalevo.net/threads/2257...me-help-please!!

Does it look like this?
The following users liked this post:
Rasperin (May 16, 2017)
Old May 14, 2017, 06:49 AM

​​​​​​Ugghhhh the way those post read sounds like I'm dropping the transmission.

However, the way that video plays, so mine was all the way to the left but when I moved it right it stayed in place. In that video he's slapping it right and it's going back left.

Kinda a crappy picture but you can see that there is space on the left and right and it's been centered.
However the fact that it's been centered may not mean crap, but that is one difference between the video and my car. Do you by chance know or someone? (I'm super resistant to dropping the transmission if I don't have to )
Old May 14, 2017, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah that video is me personally, I heard it might be possible to get it back into place how your describing but it sounds like your only half way there. Im completely screwed haha. Yeah I drove myself crazy for a straight week trying to figure out what my problem was when I read your situation I jumped straight on it! Theres another post that I couldnt find that described exactly what happened to me down to the same gear! Ill see if I can track it down. I ended up rebuilding another tranny and im waiting to put it in, I got an ACT HDSS with MONOLOC which helps prevent this from happening again. If you have any questions ask away haha
Old May 14, 2017, 10:26 PM

Sounds like I need to take it further right and reinstall the slave. I have the cmc on the way, (figured if I ended up dropping the transmission U might as wwll replace everything cause I want to do it as few times as possible), best case with new cmc in all is well and it starts working again. Worst case still brick hard and I have to drop the tranny and order all the things

​​​​​​Re clutch, my wife is trying to convince me to go whole hog and order the 1800$ exeedy twin clutch because I drive mostly at 9mph or **mph (insert maximum legal speed limit, I would never ever travel over the legally written speedlimit).

Personally I'm a cheap bastard and was just thinking competition stg 3 (aiming for ~450wtq).

If you don't mind me asking why act hd, it's a big one in my book too.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like I need to take it further right and reinstall the slave. I have the cmc on the way, (figured if I ended up dropping the transmission U might as wwll replace everything cause I want to do it as few times as possible), best case with new cmc in all is well and it starts working again. Worst case still brick hard and I have to drop the tranny and order all the things

​​​​​​Re clutch, my wife is trying to convince me to go whole hog and order the 1800$ exeedy twin clutch because I drive mostly at 9mph or **mph (insert maximum legal speed limit, I would never ever travel over the legally written speedlimit).

Personally I'm a cheap bastard and was just thinking competition stg 3 (aiming for ~450wtq).

If you don't mind me asking why act hd, it's a big one in my book too.
The act hdss was recommended to me by a friend as a perfect street clutch (I DD my evo) and it's perfect to handle my power levels. Also the monolock was a big plus cause I don't want this happening again. Fair warning the excedy is notorious for the tob to pop off if what I described is your current problem your likely to have it again with excedy.
Old May 15, 2017, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Yikes! I currently have an Exedy... Had no idea they has bearing issues perhaps I've just been lucky.

-ash
Old May 15, 2017, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

There is also this which I have been heavily considering http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co..._fork_stop.htm
Old May 15, 2017, 07:43 PM

So one of those posts alluded to a grommet in the transmission to check the throw out bearing and potentially adjust it with a long screw driver. So I jacked up the car, pulled off all those damn clips (whoever at mitsubishi thought that was a good idea needs to be put on clip duty for life), pulled the grommet, a metal chunk falls out. I see the spring for the throw out bearing is bent.

I put the grommet back on but my phone had just died when I was going to take a picture, will get one later. At this point it sounds like I'm now wasting time second guessing myself and it's time to order the rest of the parts that go with it... lol.
Old May 15, 2017, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

So one of those posts alluded to a grommet in the transmission to check the throw out bearing and potentially adjust it with a long screw driver. So I jacked up the car, pulled off all those damn clips (whoever at mitsubishi thought that was a good idea needs to be put on clip duty for life), pulled the grommet, a metal chunk falls out. I see the spring for the throw out bearing is bent.

I put the grommet back on but my phone had just died when I was going to take a picture, will get one later. At this point it sounds like I'm now wasting time second guessing myself and it's time to order the rest of the parts that go with it... lol.
Sounds like exactly what I said from the sounds of it right?

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal stuck