Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any suggestions?

Hey everyone need some advice! So as soon as I get back from deployment (6 weeks ish) I will be installing a good amount of parts I’ve compiled before I left. I own a 2008 WW GSR and has roughly 64k miles on it with a few bolt ons it came with the purchase. I use it to daily drive to base 15 mile round trip and spirited driving, never launched, or dragged but I just like to have the power when I go up the mountain or enter a freeway from time to time. I like to read up on the forums on builds daily, who uses what parts and how they perform, etc. I wanted to stay stock frame and not crack open the motor just yet but have fun with this setup I’m about to run. I’m not one of those “I want to reach xxxhp” guys but I do have an estimated # that I feel is easily achievable with the parts ill add and know ill be happy with. I am trying to figure out if there is anything else I should include in my install, more fuel, a catch can, more airflow, should I stay opensource or go Cobb? Also yes I could ask a tuner which I hope could chime in but I figure everyone has there own opinion from experience, and my local tuner is a ghost Car is located in Tucson btw

Current mods installed: 363/391 E85 and 330/320 pump

Engine/Exhaust
- Greddy TiC exhaust
- ETS test pipe
- ETS open dump down pipe
- ETS 3.5” FMIC
- ETS Intake
- ETS Upper and lower piping
- EBCS

Drivetrain/Trans
- TWM short shifter
- TWM shifter base bushings

Fuel Supply
- DW65c Fuel pump
- ID1000cc Injectors

Suspension/ Interior
- Eibach lowering springs
- TWM Short Shifter
- TWM shifter base bushings
- AEM True boost gauge
- AEM AFR

List of parts to be installed:

Engine
- MAP Cast manifold
- MAP EF3 ported/coated, anti surge w/ Turbosmart WGA (0 miles)
- Omni 4 bar map sensor
- Cobb 3” Turbo Inlet
- Exhaust manifold/Turbo Gaskets

Drivetrain/Trans
- Competition Stage 3 clutch kit
- ACT mono-lock collar
- OEM Mitsubishi Diff, Trans Fluids

Suspension/ Interior
- Whiteline Sway bar 27mm front and rear
- Whiteline endlinks F/R
- Whiteline aluminum lateral lock kit
- Torque Solution shifter cable bushing
- AMS under hood bushing
- AMS gate selector bushing

Please any advice just chime in and any suggestions throw my way
Old Jun 7, 2017, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
First, whatever you do, after installing the mods, be sure to get a protune from a good tuner.

Second, 2008 model year Evo is quite old now. You may want to be sure that (1) the 30k miles transmission service has been recently performed, (2) brake fluid bleeding, recommended by Brembo no more than every 18 months, has been recently performed, (3) the 30k miles fuel system check has been recently performed, (4) spark plug change, roughly every 40k miles, have been recently performed, (5) upper cylinder cleaning been recently performed (you can use Red Line 60103).

You may also want to check wheel alignment, the accessory belt and pulleys, fuel pump relay, and the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) hose. Make sure they are in good conditions.

Third, I would not get Eibach springs if I were you. They ruin the handling of the Evo. You should get Ohlins R&T DFV coilover instead.

Old Jun 8, 2017, 02:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightsaber
First, whatever you do, after installing the mods, be sure to get a protune from a good tuner.

Second, 2008 model year Evo is quite old now. You may want to be sure that (1) the 30k miles transmission service has been recently performed, (2) brake fluid bleeding, recommended by Brembo no more than every 18 months, has been recently performed, (3) the 30k miles fuel system check has been recently performed, (4) spark plug change, roughly every 40k miles, have been recently performed, (5) upper cylinder cleaning been recently performed (you can use Red Line 60103).

You may also want to check wheel alignment, the accessory belt and pulleys, fuel pump relay, and the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) hose. Make sure they are in good conditions.

Third, I would not get Eibach springs if I were you. They ruin the handling of the Evo. You should get Ohlins R&T DFV coilover instead.

^^

That's exactly what I want to hear. Im still going back and fourth between an E-tune and dyno tune from my local tuner. Reason is there isn't many options local to me that are reputable tuners and are knowledgeable with the EF3. As far as servicing I will be getting that all done prior to performance mods being installed(during clutch install), full fluid change, compression check, leak down check, etc. Also those springs were installed from previous owner. I definitely will be buying different suspension. Appreciate the info