Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

MAF Sensor Blues

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAF Sensor Blues

Thought I would share my MAF sensor experience with the forum. I have an 08 X with breathing mods and AMS tune. Started getting codes for the MAF (out of range, etc.). Cleaned it, reset codes, but they always came back.

I replaced the MAF sensor with a $70 "drop in" replacement. Worked for a while, then the car periodically did not want to accelerate at all with frequent bogs/hesitation. AMS helped diagnose a bad MAF sensor (dealer could not figure out the problem). So I replaced it again with another $70 variant. The car ran, but didn't ever feel right. Not snappy and quick, and still had periodic bogs for no reason. See attached plots of log data. The MAF sensor was clearly not working properly again.

Replaced the sensor with an OEM version, and I'm back to normal beast mode.

OEM and aftermarket variant look similar, but the elements are clearly different. Seems as if the OEM is much more robust.

BOTTOM LINE: Beware the cheap MAF sensors. I'd recommend going with the Mitsu product.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Bog.pdf (247.2 KB, 0 views)
Old Jul 21, 2017, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Always oem.