Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Loud metals noise from under hood

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud metals noise from under hood

Question😶😶😶

I know it sounds weird and i've never been doing this since day 1 of driving a stick , but last night after a 4 hours long trip coming home from the highway then this happened !

I was slowing down to a red light stop from 80km/h in my 5th gear , but idk if my mind falling asleep or somewhat ( maybe thinking im driving an automatic ) but i forgot to engage the clutch to downshift or put it in neutral to stop , instead i just put my foot on the brakes when the car still in 5th gear , when the car nearly stop i heard the very loud metals banging noise under my hood comes together with stalling before it completely stop with no power beside dash lights , after that i just start it up and drive home without any problem !

My question is where and what caused the loud metals banging noise coming from ? Engine piston ? Gearbox or clutch in this case ? And does it harmful or causing any damage to the car from that ?

Can't believe after 8 years been driving manual and then this happen to me !

Sorry if my gramma not that great !

Thanks in advance for any helps !
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
It's most likely the gears just banging. The engine is trying to fight the gears to move in one direction while the slow rotational speed is trying to go the other way. Its not great for the car, but it also shouldn't cause any damage. How has the car been since?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After that it still drivable no problem , do you think i need to drain the engine oil out to check if any metal shaving ?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Nah you shouldn't need to. It really isn't that hard on the engine. Hell, any new guy to a manual car is probably gonna do it 100 times before they learn how to drive it.
The following users liked this post:
ToraEvoX (Oct 10, 2017)
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Its from the transmission! Mine does this if I go too slow in any gear with my cams and light flywheel, Its relatively normal... In the sense that, you did something wrong and its normal for it to make that noise, but I know what your talking about and understand why your concerned lol, it sounds terrible!
The following users liked this post:
ToraEvoX (Oct 10, 2017)