Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

SteamSpeed STX71 Turbo Review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SteamSpeed STX71 Turbo Review

Tune: Street Tuned
Weather: 90F very humid day in Miami

Car: 2008 EVO X GSR
Dyno Info: Dynojet
Peak HP at RPM: 448 WHP
Peak Torque at RPM: 359 WTQ
Target Boost: 28psi
Target AFR: 11's
Fuel: E85

Mods:
Engine: ERL 2.0 Manley I-beams, CP pistons, ERL sleeves, and stock head.
FUEL: ID 1300X Injectors, Walbro 450 pump, stock rail.
Bolt ons: COBB intake, ETS Intercooler pipes, ETS Intercooler, Driven Fab catch can.
Turbo: SteamSpeed STX 71 with stock manifold and 02 dump

Thoughts: Extremely fun turbo, perfect for daily drive, spools like stock, and holds too redline.

Link for turbo: http://steamturbochargers.com/index....on-x-12cm.html
Attached Thumbnails SteamSpeed STX71 Turbo Review-img_0036.jpg   SteamSpeed STX71 Turbo Review-img_3567.jpg   SteamSpeed STX71 Turbo Review-img_8284.jpg  

Last edited by Boostinevox; Jan 22, 2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Boostinevox
Tune: Street Tuned
Weather: 90F very humid day in Miami

Car: 2008 EVO X GSR
Dyno Info: Dynojet
Peak HP at RPM: 448 WHP
Peak Torque at RPM: 359 WTQ
Target Boost: 28psi
Target AFR: 11's
Fuel: E85

Mods:
Engine: ERL 2.0 Manley I-beams, CP pistons, ERL sleeves, and stock head.
FUEL: ID 1300X Injectors, Walbro 450 pump, stock rail.
Bolt ons: COBB intake, ETS Intercooler pipes, ETS Intercooler, Driven Fab catch can.
Turbo: SteamSpeed STX 71 with stock manifold and 02 dump

Thoughts: Extremely fun turbo, perfect for daily drive, spools like stock, and holds too redline.

Link for turbo: https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%...on-x-12cm.html
Looks like a pretty nifty turbo. Looks like it uses a GTX3071R compressor wheel too. Post a video if you can!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 07:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
That torque curve is either showing mismatched wheels or the tuner purposely tuned it lazy?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Interesting. Post back please at intervals of 10kmi if you have the turbo/car at that time. Sub 3k RPM making 200 ft-lbs is nice!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
I'll take an 18k any day of the week. My stock block Evo X on E54 makes 100 more wtq than this turbo at 4k rpm. This turbo is pretty laggy for how small it is...
Old Jan 20, 2018, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
200- ft-lb at sub 3kRPM will NOT feel laggy at all, and torque that low represents a very good daily driver. It does look like it was tuned to limit torque, but the OP would have to confirm that. I think the graph looks good. Would I chose an 18k over this? Absolutely - Not enough data on things like long term durability and track abuse. This is why I asked him to post back at 10kmi intervals. But when someone does post data on something new/unknown, I think the common thing is for the Evo community to jump on their backs for not sticking with what everyone else has done. You gotta at least give'em credit for posting the graph and reporting results.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
200- ft-lb at sub 3kRPM will NOT feel laggy at all, and torque that low represents a very good daily driver. It does look like it was tuned to limit torque, but the OP would have to confirm that. I think the graph looks good. Would I chose an 18k over this? Absolutely - Not enough data on things like long term durability and track abuse. This is why I asked him to post back at 10kmi intervals. But when someone does post data on something new/unknown, I think the common thing is for the Evo community to jump on their backs for not sticking with what everyone else has done. You gotta at least give'em credit for posting the graph and reporting results.
I credit the OP for buying, having it tuned, and posting the results. I think we can all appreciate the guinea pig so to speak as it helps the rest of the community. Hindsight 20/20, the results for a turbo that size are not that great in terms of spool and torque. The HP # looks to be where it should but why does the torque curve look like a 6266?! That’s my main concern. Sure it’ll be safe on the stock rods, but it won’t give you the push you back in your seat feel. Like I said compared to my 18k, which has a similar hp curve, the 18k makes 100 more wtq at 4K rpm.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

My other concern is where does steamspeed source their turbine housings from.....
Old Jan 20, 2018, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
Interesting. Post back please at intervals of 10kmi if you have the turbo/car at that time. Sub 3k RPM making 200 ft-lbs is nice!
Had the turbo since November and put alot of miles on it, and its still going good.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
That torque curve is either showing mismatched wheels or the tuner purposely tuned it lazy?
It was street tuned, pretty sure if tuner worked on it some more we can get the torque up. wasted most of the day with an idle issue.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boostinevox
It was street tuned, pretty sure if tuner worked on it some more we can get the torque up. wasted most of the day with an idle issue.
I would definitely get a retune. You have a built bottom end!!! I would be making that that thing hit boost as fast as humanly possible.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 03:24 PM

Hi I'm Sam from SteamSpeed. I am happy to answer any questions you guys might have.

We've been manufacturing Subaru turbos for several years now. The STX 71 one of our most popular turbos for the STI with good reason, it can generally make over 400-450 whp on pump gas with the 59.5 lbs/min comp wheel (maps here). This turbo uses essentially the same CHRA. Obviously with a higher measured flow rate, and similar efficiencies, this turbo should make a little more power than an 18k while being about as responsive. Our initial testing indicates that this is the case.

For the STI/WRX, the historical repair rate is well below 5% on this model, which means the CHRA is super reliable. We'll see how it does in EvoX housings, and we know Evo guys like to hit higher boost targets, which does increase the shaft speed. Obviously we'll have to have had sold and have a lot of these out there for Evos to have statistically meaningful data for your cars, but the STI data is a good indicator that it should be fine.

I have some initial tuning data as well from EnglishRacing I can post up. Aaron was able to get a some more out of it, but the car in test had an restrictive O2 housing with well known boost creep issues that was causing us difficulties in testing. We did a teardown and inspection, and will be sending it back to English for more testing.

As for the turbine housing, we manufacture it with high nickel content D3 alloy in Taiwan. We didn't "invent" it, but it is a well vetted housing design at this point.

Anyway, let me know what else you' d like to know about this turbo.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:27 PM

Here was the initial data we got back from English Racing. It had some creep, so we owe Aaron a ported housing for them to use for more testing. That particular car had an O2 housing that was well known for causing boost creep. As you can see from the original poster who had an external dump O2 housing, he didn't have any creep issues.

Here is the data from their dyno using pump gas:

Dyno result from English Racing
Aaron said it did about 475 whp on pump gas.

Here are the plots from the data logs of that car from before (stock turbo) and after with the STX 71.

As you can see, you gain +100 whp, and give up close to nothing. And as the OP stated, it feels the same as stock down low in terms of responsiveness.