Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

My big turbo build

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 08:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice, 500 on pump would be pretty good!
Old Oct 13, 2018, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Couple fun updates:

-300 miles Radium t fitting for the fuel pressure gauge at the rail starting pouring fuel all over the car and almost burned it to the ground. Removed the t fitting for now, and after an hour conversation with Radium they were willing to ship me another fitting, gauge, and line.

-480 miles one of the clips securing the shift cable overtop the transmission popped off causing my brother who was driving to lose the ability to shift. $3.00 part, installed an fixed
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Good thread. Glad to know I'm not the only one to have my Evo stuck in the shop for months.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 07:42 PM

Yeah, the first go around took a while. The longest part I think was the engine build, I just think the high's and low's of the performance world especially in a seasonal place like MD make it tough. Shops can't just add staff for four months and lay people off, so the work just piles up. Especially with shop that put out quality work.

When I look back, even if it's an additional month, I'll care a ton less about the extra time in the shop. But I WILL care about sub-par quality work and a non-reliable build/tune. At the time, especially for the investment, it feels like forever. But once you're back in the driver seat it's normally all good lol.

The plan right now is the car to be at the shop for two weeks for some powder coating, turning the boost up and tuning on E and pump, and some verification miles. Then I can go play!
The following users liked this post:
ETS Michael (Nov 5, 2018)
Old Dec 2, 2018, 02:52 PM

Update!

Car made 657awhp and about 450awtq on 28psi with E85.

With MD weather I had to get it in the rain, so haven't made a single pull yet.

One day into driving I lost all throttle response when cruising on the highway, no dash lights, no nothing. Car was towed to my house, and I'll be troubleshooting it with some help from Chad over at CBRD to prevent a tow to PA. Fuel pump is not turning on, so I lost all fuel pressure and the car just gave up running. Cranks, but won't start now.

Will update with resolution!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 02:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those are some good numbers, is that a mustsng dyno or dynojet.

How is the spool/ lag with the turbo?

Hopefully it is something simple regarding the fuel pump.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 04:21 PM

Mustang dyno numbers.

I can't speak for spool/lag yet just because I haven't gotten any clean pulls in the dry through the power band but will update with some videos once the issues are resolved and I have some tire on it. Based on the dyno graph looks like the car comes alive around 5,000rpm. So we will see how that translates to street driving.

We didn't cut any corners in the build, so I'm optimistic it's something simple related to the X platform, something loose, or a bad pump.

For now, it's parked in the garage.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 04:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Which fuel pump are you using?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 04:25 PM

Twin Walbro 255's. One on stock wiring, one activated by a boost control switch.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 04:29 PM

The pump is definitely not coming on when the ignition is cycled, so we are doing some elimination testing tomorrow to check things out and isolate the failed part.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 04:53 PM
EvoM Guru

I'd highly recommend a Radium basket with a single Walbro 525 and controller.

I'm assuming you have no surge tank?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 05:13 PM

I have the Radium basket now, and I thought the same thing regarding pump. However, I have no experience with tuning, wiring, etc. and took the tuner's recommendation to run what's currently on the car since I"m ultimately holding him responsible for the results.

We also decided on no surge tank since it'll just be a street car and never be autocrossed. I've heard mixed things on this particular topic as well.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 05:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by md_evo_x
I have the Radium basket now, and I thought the same thing regarding pump. However, I have no experience with tuning, wiring, etc. and took the tuner's recommendation to run what's currently on the car since I"m ultimately holding him responsible for the results.

We also decided on no surge tank since it'll just be a street car and never be autocrossed. I've heard mixed things on this particular topic as well.
Yea, Chad will work it out with you for sure.

If you keep having issues with the twin 255's and hobbs switch, then I recommend what I stated above.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
A single walbro 525 doesn't flow enough. There's nothing wrong with twin 255's with one on stock wiring and the other on the Hobb's switch.

OP, the fuel doesn't turn on unless the engine is cranking and the ECU sees signal from the crank trigger. You can jumper the fuel pump relay to force it to turn on which will allow you to see if the wiring is all good. If you get evoscan and a tactrix cable you can datalog while cranking to see if the ECU is getting signal from both cam sensors and the crank sensor.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 05:36 PM

Yeah, that's the concern CBRD had with flow.

Update: Failed primary fuel pump, popped mini 20a fuel pump fuse. Checked wiring, all looked OK and got car started and running.

Chad was extremely helpful trying to troubleshoot remotely but once we checked all the simple boxes he was willing to tow the car back into the shop and take a look. I made his job harder because in my haste of checking fuses etc. I didn't put the injector relay back in the right spot like a genius .

Odd that a Walbro pump went bad so quick, but the guys at CBRD are checking over things as they always do to make sure all is good.

Also, definitely getting evoscan and a cable for future trouble shooting. With the way this car likes to vibrate I have a feeling I'm going to be chasing open circuits and loose wires occasionally. :/

Quick Reply: My big turbo build