Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

08 Evo X not making anywhere near the power it should

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2018, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 Evo X not making anywhere near the power it should

Alright guys. As the ad states my car isn’t making anywhere near the power it should.

Details;

Car has 99k

FIC1100’s

AEM 320 LPH fuel pump

WSRD 3 Port EBCS

Injen Intercooler Pipes

AEM Intake

AEM Wideband

3” exhaust from the Downpipe Back

AP V3

Working on tune with Johnson Tuning of Indianapolis

Stock turbo @ 25 PSI

Corbin expected my car to be in the 340~360whp range when tune is finalized. We had a few small issues with tune, first was the fuel pump relay which has been upgraded, and the second was a loose manifold heat shield causing the ECU to pick up knock. These things have been fixed and the car idles, cruises, and pulls to redline fine now.

However, the AP virtual dyno (which I know is not an incredibly accurate number) is only showing about 260WHP. Corbin has tuned many of these cars and says this is 70-80 less than what we should see here given my mods.

Furthermore the car feels dog slow for 25 PSI. And feels slower than every single STi I’ve ever owned that just had intake and TBE by a significant margin.

Other notes;

The car car has no catalytic converters

I do not suspect I have a compression problem as the car idles/cruises fine and is not consuming oil. But I do plan to run a compression test.

Plugs have less than 2k miles and are gapped to spec.

I occasionally throw a P0441 on cold start. Not all the time, but occasionally.

My service AYC light is on.

Tuner seems to think there’s likely some sort of restriction of air going into, or out of the engine.

My my first plan is to pull the intercooler and inspect all of the piping from the air filter to the intake and make sure nothing is kinked or bent... but I gave the system an inspection when I got the car and changed the oil for the first time and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Not it really sure what my next step should be, and was hoping I might get some pointers on other things to inspect.

Appreciate any help, thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 07:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Does the car feel slow? Spool late?

Do a datalog with EvoScan and upload it to virtual dyno. Or put the car on a really dyno.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, as I should honestly already know you should never take a sellers word and always verify modifications.

The car turned out to have a 2.5" test pipe that bottleknecked down to a 2.25" just before the axle. It was covered in nasty booger looking welds and was pretty heavily restricting exhaust flow.

Gave it a quick chop and instantly gained 40 horse on the virtual dyno on a 93 degree day with insane humidity.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
LOL! That'll do it. I had a DSM with a Flowmaster 3" setup on it. The Flowmaster muffler was causing so much backpressure I was having crazy issues with full boost tuning. Once I ripped it out and put a straight-flowing Vibrant on it, I picked up a good 50hp! Exhaust is important!