Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Keeping air intake temps low pt.1

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keeping air intake temps low pt.1

Like the post states, I'm looking to keep my intake temp low. Low as possible in fact. To be noted, this is more of an experiment. When I replaced my UICP, I got to thinking. How I could lower my intake temps? Simple!!! Thermal wrap and ceramic paint. I used Eastwood's high temp internal exhaust ceramic paint and Goldilocks thermal tape. I sprayed the outside and inside of the pipe then wrapped it with thermal tape. Unfortunately I didn't record any AIT readings prior to doing any of this. Next on the list is the LICP, then paint the intake manifold and make a phenolic gasket for the manifold and TB.

The ceramic paint was a runny as hell and did and ok job of lining the inside of the pipe. The thermal tape does not apply well around corners and is wrinkly. Not the big of deal functionally, just has a low quality look to a finished product.

Old Nov 23, 2018, 08:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
None of that will show up on IAT.

IAT = sensor at the MAF
MAT = sensor on the intank manifold
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
A properly sized intercooler will keep MAT within 10-15* of ambient if the car is moving. Anything else will make a negligible (at best) difference.