Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Gsr p0014 help!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2023, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSR P0014 help!!!

Hi Guys

I have an issue on this 2012 EVO X GSR 4B11 that we're working on at my shop and I am trying to narrow down the issue and why we cant get rid of this code. Here is everything that we did on this EVO the first time:

1422, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plug
SS 71314, Valve Stem Seal Kit
1032A123, Engine Camshaft Follower (3.33mm)
GSC S2 Camshafts
Torque Solution Billet Exhaust Cam Gear Housing
Manley Valve Springs And Titanium Retainers
MN 183892, OEM Timing Guide Rail
MN 183894, Timing Chain Tensioner
24420-25002, Timing Chain Tensioner G
1140A073, Timing Chain
Bench flashed ECU back to stock and installed a break in tune
5W30 Conventional Motor Oil - Chain Wear (Required Conventional Oil For Camshaft Break In)
5W30 Conventional Motor Oil - Chain Wear (Required Conventional Oil For 1000 Miles Or 20 Hours Of Engine Use, Return Back To Full Synthetic Oil Change After) ***Never got to finish the break in before running in to issues***

-After the first job, we went out for road test and found P0014 code right away. We found issues with the Torque Solution Billet Cam Gear Housing that it got locked up and was stuck in advance timing. So at this point we will be doing the job over again....
-The billet housing required loctite to be applied to the OEM cam gear so we were unable to remove the housing. We then ordered a OEM housing with cam gear, then reinstall the exhaust cam and redid the timing once again. Yes timing was done correctly along with the cams.
-After the second time, we then did multiple road test with about 2 hours of driving and did not find any issues. The customer came and picked up the car and drove it home but as he went home a CEL P0014 came back up. He then drove the car back to our shop to reinspect everything and this is where we are at right now with the car and I have some questions that hope someone can help me with.

-Oil pressure is good (Oil level was perfect)
-Camshaft position sensor was good (Tried to replace with a new one but no change)
-Crankshaft position sensor was good (Tried to replace with a new one but no change)
-Exhaust engine oil control valve was good (Tried to replace with a new one but no change)
-Oil passage of exhaust VVT control system was good

-Now my big question is does GSC S2 cams compatible with Manley Valve Springs And Titanium Retainers? Below are the specifications on both items and I also read the specs on the GSC Beehive Spring Kit with Titanium Retainers and theres difference from Manley's. I should have had him go with the GSC Beehive but I did not think about it. Here are the specs below:GSC S2 Cams (part number 7010S2)
-Designed for a rev range of 3800-8500 RPMs
-The S2 cams require an upgraded valve spring
https://www.power-division.com/4b11t...camshafts.html

Manley Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers (part number 26195)
-Retainer angles are held to within 6' (minutes) (this is a tenth of a degree) and installed heights are held to within .005"
-
Wound from super clean alloy
-Revs up to 10,000 RPM with Manley titanium retainers
-Designed to handle aftermarket camshafts
-Evo X Valve Spring
  • O.D./I.D.: .990"/.710"
  • Seat Pressure: 86 @ 1.400"
  • Open Pressure: 180 @ 1.030" 198 @ .970"
  • Stock/Max Lift: 0.370" 0.430"
  • Coil Bind: .920"
  • Rate (lbs./in.): 253
-Evo X Titanium Retainer Specs
  • Valve Stem Diameter: 5.5 mm
  • Degree: 7.5°
  • Dimensions A: .960°
  • Dimensions B: .690°
  • Step: .100"
  • Height: Stock
---------------------------
GSC Power-Division Beehive Spring with Titanium Retainer kit for the Mitsubishi 4B11T (Part Number GSC5042)
  • IN: 75 lbs @ 1.350" / EX: 72 lbs @ 1.361" install height
  • IN: 217 lbs @ 0.917" / EX: 214 lbs @ 0.928"

Features

• Rev faster
  • Lighter components
  • More durable design
  • Less stress on valvetrain components
  • Higher spring frequency for more precise valve control
  • More valve control equals more aggressive cam profiles
  • Nano-peened for faster break-in and less spring stress

Specifications

• Up to 12.2mm lift cams
  • Max RPM: 9,800
  • Max boost: 40+ psi
  • Coil Bind: 0.800
  • Install Height (in): 1.350 / 1.361
  • Seat Pressure (lbs): 75 / 72
  • Open Pressure (11.0mm lift): 217 lbs @ 0.917" / 214 lbs @ 0.928"
  • Maximum Lift (in): 0.480
Thank you for your time and any help will amazing!

Last edited by F2D/JDM; Jun 11, 2023 at 02:05 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 04:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Here are a few suggestions and considerations:

1. Compatibility of GSC S2 Cams and Manley Valve Springs: While GSC S2 Cams are designed to work with upgraded valve springs, it's essential to ensure compatibility between the GSC S2 Cams and the specific Manley Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers you have installed. It's worth reaching out to the manufacturers or consulting technical experts to confirm that the combination you have chosen is suitable and properly matched.

2. Timing and Camshaft Position Sensors: Since you have already verified the timing and replaced both the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors, it's less likely that these components are causing the P0014 code. However, it's important to double-check the correct installation and alignment of the sensors to eliminate any potential issues.

3. Oil Control Valve and Oil Passage: Since the P0014 code relates to the exhaust VVT control system, it's crucial to ensure that the exhaust engine oil control valve is functioning correctly, and the oil passage for the VVT system is clean and free of obstructions. Verify that the oil control valve is receiving proper voltage and that it's operating as expected.

4. Review ECU Tuning: If all other components are functioning correctly, it's possible that the issue may lie within the ECU tuning. Ensure that the ECU has been flashed back to stock and properly adjusted for the modifications made, including the GSC S2 Cams and valve springs. It may be worth consulting with an experienced tuner or contacting the ECU manufacturer for guidance.