Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

MR with SST only = :(

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2007, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wisely Chosen
Clearly, the adventure chosen for the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution is "potential." Although it has lost some of the sharpness that has defined previous iterations, the 2008 Lancer Evolution's combination of dexterity, comfort and style will undoubtedly bring more buyers into the Evo fold.

And proponents of hard-core Evos haven't been forgotten. A gleam in the eyes of the Mitsubishi engineers hints that a few keystrokes in the computer mapping of S-AWC can dramatically alter the car's personality. Couple this magic with weight reduction and some goodies from the lab, and the makings are in place for a Mitsubishi Evo RS model that might take us on a completely different adventure.

Edmunds attended a manufacturer-sponsored event, to which selected members of the press were invited, to facilitate this report
Old Oct 21, 2007, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by _Chris_
Who knows they may come out with a MR 5MT in the following year.
Absolutely. Think about what happened when BMW released the latest M5. At first it was solely an auto-manual, but then when enough people complained they released a 6spd manual. Too bad they rushed it and it couldn't handle the 500 horse power.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 05:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jonasan50
Wisely Chosen
Clearly, the adventure chosen for the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution is "potential." Although it has lost some of the sharpness that has defined previous iterations, the 2008 Lancer Evolution's combination of dexterity, comfort and style will undoubtedly bring more buyers into the Evo fold.

And proponents of hard-core Evos haven't been forgotten. A gleam in the eyes of the Mitsubishi engineers hints that a few keystrokes in the computer mapping of S-AWC can dramatically alter the car's personality. Couple this magic with weight reduction and some goodies from the lab, and the makings are in place for a Mitsubishi Evo RS model that might take us on a completely different adventure.

Edmunds attended a manufacturer-sponsored event, to which selected members of the press were invited, to facilitate this report
Agreed... I wonder if Jestr is going to get his hands on the X as soon as YOU buy it??
Old Oct 22, 2007, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jwfisher
Thanks, Scott!
Take a look at the YouTube vid I posted the URL to.... it has side-by-side video showing an older Evo with a manual transmission and the new one w/SST on the same section of the track. Amazing. Then they show it on a dry skidpad - and then a wet. Amazing again...
Saw it! Loved it. Makes me want to go get one the minute they get here... Now let me just find the cash.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Scooter
Agreed... I wonder if Jestr is going to get his hands on the X as soon as YOU buy it??
I told him that I'd let him have mine as the experimental car.. Then rename the flash as The Jonasan X Flash.. Hahahahahaha...
Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by nongan
Can we vote jwfisher's post on 5spd MT vs SST as post of the year?
THANKS!

You have to be pragmatic about the SST.... hundreds of engineers worked on it and it's the strategic direction. Conventional manuals are fading in Japan - look at the new GT-R. Like that, this is new technology to us - we'll figure out a way to work with it and we'll be better off for it.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
JWFisher, Thanks ! i like that explanations!
Yes you right, the stock evos got big problem when they do get up the 5th gear.
I remember even my 04 dropped alots of power when you did the 5 th gear shift. Now i have the 06 rs it is slightly better ,feels like a shorter gear ratio.
but my both car got modded fast so the problem quickly vanished.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

I want SST becausE manulS is in efficient, A PAIN TO DRIVE FOR EVERYDAY COMUTING, outdated and prone to money shifts and short clutch life spans.... too many evo 8 and 9 owners abused their factory clutches them, blame mitsu when they failed...LOL
Old Oct 22, 2007, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
JWFisher, Thanks ! i like that explanations!
Yes you right, the stock evos got big problem when they do get up the 5th gear.
I remember even my 04 dropped alots of power when you did the 5 th gear shift. Now i have the 06 rs it is slightly better ,feels like a shorter gear ratio.
but my both car got modded fast so the problem quickly vanished.
I have to go on the assumption that my Evo X MR will be stock or very mildly modded (intake, exhaust) for an indefinite period:
a) it wil be late delivery - at least two months after the GSR comes out
b) we don't know the reaction of the stock computer to mods yet... and I want "super sport" mode to work as designed
c) there may be issues with the car - it needs to remain stock for a while for any warranty work that may have to be done
d) my local dealer is the size of a corner gas station... I may not want them touching the car. In fact, this may kill my plan since the Mitsubishi dealer network nationwiude is so lousy in most places.

Last edited by jwfisher; Oct 22, 2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

THANKS!

You have to be pragmatic about the SST.... hundreds of engineers worked on it and it's the strategic direction. Conventional manuals are fading in Japan - look at the new GT-R. Like that, this is new technology to us - we'll figure out a way to work with it and we'll be better off for it.
I'd argue that thousands of engineers worked on manual transmissions, and it's a tried and true proven design. The SST is still new and may have flaws this early on.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 03:02 PM

Meanwhile... check out: http://blog.livedoor.jp/arcinternati...log_id=2262952

ARC is modding an Evo X and blogging about it... !!!
Old Oct 23, 2007, 04:01 PM
FLK
Evolved Member

^Last I checked there was a whole thread on the ARC blog already.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 04:20 PM

Yes, but as this thread is going nowhere quickly, we might as well go to a company that is working on a real live production X. Unlike anybody here.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Meanwhile... check out: http://blog.livedoor.jp/arcinternati...log_id=2262952

ARC is modding an Evo X and blogging about it... !!!
Not to be too much of an a$$ but... Wow!! Now I just need to learn Japanese (or whatever language that was).
Old Oct 28, 2007, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

I drove an Audi A3 with the R-tronic (DSG) transmission and was very impressed with it, however its still an automatic no matter how the manufactures like to spin its name. I would take a standard manual transmission any day over it. I am very disappointed that Mitsubishi will only offer this SST Transmission in its MR Evo. If Mitsubishi was smart they would offer both for Evo loyalists and for new customers that don't want to drive stick.

Quick Reply: MR with SST only = :(