Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

MR with SST only = :(

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2007, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR with SST only = :(

So, according to mitsu, the MR won't have the option of a true manual transmission.

Originally Posted by Mitsu
MR Adds:

* Twin Clutch Sportronic Shift Transmission (TC-SST) with magnesium steering wheel shifter paddles
This makes me sad.

I really want an MR, and don't mind paying extra for it, but *******, at least give me an option on the transmission!

So now I'm torn...do I sacrifice the features and everything I want to go for the GSR with the 5MT, or do I get the MR with a transmission that I don't think I want?

Anyone else in my shoes?
Old Oct 18, 2007, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Just get a GSR and wait for MR owners to slowly sell off the different parts like the BBS wheels, the 2 piece rotors, and the Eibach/Bilstein suspension. You'll save money in the long run and you'll still have the transmission you want. Besides that there isn't much difference in the MR vs the GSR besides the obvious SST and a little more sound deadening.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 02:22 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're better off getting the transmission you want. You can add the other things...but you can't change out the tranny.

I mean, you could always go drive an Audi or VW with the DSG tranny to get an idea of what it will be like. What you'll find out (I have a ton of experience since I work for Audi) is that at the end of the day it's still an automatic no matter how "technologically" advanced it sounds.

If you don't like the idea of not having a third pedal and rowing through the gears, the SST will never be for you.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Same boat here..... I haven't made up my mind yet. I want the MR but don't think I want the SST trans. I may wait for them to come and drive one before I totally make up my mind, but I am 80/20 on the manual.

I may just say screw it and go for the GSR. With the savings I can get some nice Volks!
Old Oct 18, 2007, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Such a shame. Even though its quicker shifting it just not as fun.

If mistu was smart they would put the SST is the GSR so u would have to pay more for a manual.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There should either be a MT MR or have the BBS wheels, better brakes etc as option for the GSR. What's offered is half here, the other half there, but NOT on one vehicle!
It is a head splitting pain.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Just get the GSR first, I know a lot of MR owners will replace the stock shocks and springs with coilover and have Volk Racing wheels replace stock BBS wheels. But the two piece rotor you may need to get them from dealer. For me I will get the GSR and change all the wheels and shocks and springs.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dklau33
Just get a GSR and wait for MR owners to slowly sell off the different parts like the BBS wheels, the 2 piece rotors, and the Eibach/Bilstein suspension. You'll save money in the long run and you'll still have the transmission you want. Besides that there isn't much difference in the MR vs the GSR besides the obvious SST and a little more sound deadening.
There is a lot. Wheels, suspension, FAST system, 30g HDD, brakes, etc - just to name a few.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ducker
If mistu was smart they would put the SST is the GSR so u would have to pay more for a manual.
That doesn't make sense. The SST is their new "gee whiz" thing, so it makes sense for it to be on their high end model.

What doesn't make sense is that I want to GIVE THEM MONEY for an MR, but just want them to hold the trans.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nongan
There should either be a MT MR or have the BBS wheels, better brakes etc as option for the GSR. What's offered is half here, the other half there, but NOT on one vehicle!
It is a head splitting pain.
Agreed.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kooldino
That doesn't make sense. The SST is their new "gee whiz" thing, so it makes sense for it to be on their high end model.

What doesn't make sense is that I want to GIVE THEM MONEY for an MR, but just want them to hold the trans.
Im just sayin that most current evo owners would opt. for the manual.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 02:34 AM
Evolving Member

Who knows they may come out with a MR 5MT in the following year.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

I want a GSR with the SST
Old Oct 19, 2007, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ducker
Im just sayin that most current evo owners would opt. for the manual.
You're right, and there lies the problem. Mitsu is looking to increase market share, not sustain market share. If they lose 1 Evo owner, but gain 2 because their new flagship sportscar appeals to a demographic more likely to spend higher dollars, it's a net win.

From a business standpoint, Mitsubishi is doing the right thing. Don't lose faith, companies in 'survival' mode go back to basics and upon reaching sustainability, will get creative to enter growth.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 08:27 AM

I am having some frustrations as well. This will be my first evo and I would prefer a manual trans (ideally a 6 speed but that doesn't look likely). At this point I am leaning toward a gsr. I'll use the enkei rims for winter/ snow tires and I'll pick up some rims through tire rack for my summer/ track tires. I'll have to do some suspension upgrades down the road. Annoying option/color packages so far- we will just need to wait it out until details on the US spec car are released.

Quick Reply: MR with SST only = :(