Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

MR with SST only = :(

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2007, 09:43 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigsky355
I am having some frustrations as well. This will be my first evo and I would prefer a manual trans (ideally a 6 speed but that doesn't look likely). At this point I am leaning toward a gsr. I'll use the enkei rims for winter/ snow tires and I'll pick up some rims through tire rack for my summer/ track tires. I'll have to do some suspension upgrades down the road. Annoying option/color packages so far- we will just need to wait it out until details on the US spec car are released.
Unfortunately, those were the details on the US spec car...
Old Oct 19, 2007, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, any thoughts on the chances of getting a SE model in the near future? Acceptable compromise maybe?

Personally, I've never driven a DSG and have been less than impressed with the "sport shift" style auto's I've driven, though they were a far cry from the Evo's new setup. But, from the reviews that people like Tiff Needell have given the newer transmissions, I'd be willing to go for a test drive to try it out.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The SST may be faster in shifting, but I like the challenge (more opportunity to mess up) and pure personal enjoyment of the MT. So, the MR is out for me despite wanting some of its features. Fortunately, I can swap the suspension & rotors to MR versions
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:13 AM

I just do not understand people who complain about Mitsu's wonderful new paddle shift trans. Here I am, a Subaru person, pissed that Subaru has not offered a next generation transmission in the new STI, and here you all are, complaining that Mitsubishi has!

The new trans is fantastic, and the right choice for the Evo because it is faster. Ultimately, we are fans of the Evo and STI for their speed, and the new trans gives us more speed. Nothing to complain about.

For those saying that DSG's are "boring", or are "just automatics", are missing the point entirely. How nice is it to have a car you can drive in auto when you want to just cruise, and then drive in semi-auto to race, with no compromise in performance. In fact it is faster! I personally agree with Mitsu's decisions for the Evo.

I just do not get luddites who want a clutch and stick. There is a reason F1, WRC, and pretty much every other top-tier racing league uses paddle shift. It's faster, plain and simple.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Just wait a year, they'll add options just like they always do
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jasoncps
I just do not understand people who complain about Mitsu's wonderful new paddle shift trans. Here I am, a Subaru person, pissed that Subaru has not offered a next generation transmission in the new STI, and here you all are, complaining that Mitsubishi has!

The new trans is fantastic, and the right choice for the Evo because it is faster. Ultimately, we are fans of the Evo and STI for their speed, and the new trans gives us more speed. Nothing to complain about.

For those saying that DSG's are "boring", or are "just automatics", are missing the point entirely. How nice is it to have a car you can drive in auto when you want to just cruise, and then drive in semi-auto to race, with no compromise in performance. In fact it is faster! I personally agree with Mitsu's decisions for the Evo.

I just do not get luddites who want a clutch and stick. There is a reason F1, WRC, and pretty much every other top-tier racing league uses paddle shift. It's faster, plain and simple.
I think it's smarter to offer the lazier auto for the higher end model . . . look at the demographic, if you were considering a 335xi in auto, you at least have a "comparable" option with the Evo X (which is how Mitsu is trying to expand their market). . . most of us that prefer the Manual are bread-and-butter, grassroots Evo owners and wouldn't pay extra for the 30gg HDD, etc. . .so the auto would be a WASTE for the base model. . .

That's how I justify my SSL purchase instead of the MR - I got the used suspension cheap, and bought different rims and Defi gauges on my own. . .I didn't like the 6-sp tranny, too much shifting for me!
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

im upset that there is no mt for the mr because i feel like the gsr is stripped in comparison. they either need to offer the mr options a la carte for the gsr, or offer a mt mr. and when they do offer the mt mr, i will buy it. i have driven the audi/vs dsg and its just boring.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:50 AM
FLK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jasoncps

I'm in agreement.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hope that the sst will be a stronger than the current manual tranny/transfer case..

if i can launch it everyday with no fear thats enough for me to buy it lol
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:01 PM

I personally can't wait for the new X with the SS-T. Look at all the exotics that only come that way. The new X is all about handling and the new transmission will allow you to concentrate on the road even more than you do now. If it's good enough for F1, then we too can learn. The question does come up about how hard is it to learn to left foot brake when you are used to using a clutch.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nongan
There should either be a MT MR or have the BBS wheels, better brakes etc as option for the GSR. What's offered is half here, the other half there, but NOT on one vehicle!
It is a head splitting pain.
They are going to be avaliable on the GSR as an Option. Sounds like you can equip the GSR just like a MR.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

My issue is that I didn't want the power loss from an Automatic transmission. That is why I have always chosen a manual. I also liked the challenge of driving a clutch with my artificial left leg. But the SST will definately provide that left leg some relief as I get older.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scooter
My issue is that I didn't want the power loss from an Automatic transmission. That is why I have always chosen a manual. I also liked the challenge of driving a clutch with my artificial left leg. But the SST will definately provide that left leg some relief as I get older.

manual makes any auto fun to drive... car, truck.... bus? lol

i think the dsg might be a nice change in a fast car since theyre a handful to drive, in a slow car i'd go nuts though...
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

I drove an A3 with DSG on CA's Hwy 1 and had a blast. The DSG made me feel more comfortable With the dsg I could downshift or upshift whenever I wanted - deep into braking, midcorner, etc - without having to worrying about bad footwork disrupting the car's balance. The dsg let me focus more on optimum braking points and the line through the curve. It basically made going flat out down Hwy 1 less of a juggling act than it would have been with a stick. I would say the overall driving experience was somewhat akin to playing a good driving simulation and with a quality gaming wheel.

That said, around town where I was not pushing it the car was not quite as fun. With a manual, I practice my heal-toeing when I pull up to stop signs and the like. I with the DSG there was nothing to really keep you engaged when tooling around.

Not sure what I would do if I were shopping for the X though; I guess I would take a test drive!
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Scooter

It has yet to be seen since we haven't seen any realworld dynos of a SST vs Manual car but I believe the twin clutch technology is on par or slightly worse compared to a traditional manual regarding power loss. A regular auto with a torque converter is not the same as a twin clutch automated manual. That's the beauty of a twin clutch setup, all the benefits of an auto, and almost all the benefits of a stick in one package.

Quick Reply: MR with SST only = :(