Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Thoughts and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X Thoughts and Questions

First off, this isn't a complaint about the Evo X...well, not totally.

Really? I just won't buy one if I test drive it and I don't like it. I want an Evo 9 MR right now, as I have big plans for that car.

Just the same...my two biggest worries about the Evo X pertain to the engine and transmission.

Now, I know the 4g63 was/is bomb proof. It is one of the best 4 cylinders ever created, albeit, its time has come-but it still has a home with us.

Considering Mitsubishi took such a drastic measures to improve the civility of the car and make it appeal to a broader range of customers, it seems the hard edged, bulet proof nature of the engine has taken a back seat to quiet, emissions friendly light weight and a broad power band.

Also, the Evo has been notorious to give way in the clutch area and I had nothing but issues with my 03.....

Technology has improved....clutches have improved....but I just cannot sell myself on the idea of that semi auto being as strong as it should be.

The chassis is better, the looks are good...albeit an acquired taste, the equipment is the same....

But really...the 4b11....what does anyone know about it? If its anything like other 4 cylinders, re sleeving and modification of it will be necessary.

ESPECIALLY considering it was made as a "World Engine", so sacrifices and costs had to be cut.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

These are all the questions that are hard to answer, because the car isnt even out yet. Time will tell. I will tell you though, I have a funny feeling that 4b11 will be a very very good motor. My biggest concerns, do not consist of the block. Because a properly sleeved block can be just as strong, as an iron block. But rather the ability to be able to A. Tune the ecu. B. The trans in the M.R. C. The ability to put a massive turbo on it, with the exhaust mani being next to the fire wall. D. How quick the aftermarket companies comes in to play.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Asta, I hadnt even observed they reversed the engine so the manifold is on the firewall.....thats just....JUST my point!!

See? No regard for us tuners...or racing, rather they want to be included with the more civilized, BMW crowd....

Just disappointing.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by feldguy
Asta, I hadnt even observed they reversed the engine so the manifold is on the firewall.....thats just....JUST my point!!

See? No regard for us tuners...or racing, rather they want to be included with the more civilized, BMW crowd....

Just disappointing.
I'm sure tuners will have some new piping so you can relocate the turbo to the front.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Ive seen that done, and its just....messy. I see what you're saying, but clearly the platform in the Evo X I was HOPING FOR clearly is still present in the Evo 9, so Im sticking with that.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

i think the firewall side exhaust / turbo wont be a big deal, people have turbocharged the rsx / k20 engine no problem
Old Oct 31, 2007, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

I believe the Neon SRT-4 is like that as well and did that stop them?
Old Oct 31, 2007, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think your questions will truely be answered when the X comes out. IMO id rather go with the IX and know that the 4g63 is bullet proof.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

It didnt stop the SRT4 true....but its just a PITA....

fkdrcrs, you're are 100% correct. If the Evo X winds up being THAT great, in fact, I'll go ahead and trade in.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

I read in one of the reviews on here can't remember which!?. Saying that there is plenty of room between the back of the motor and firewall to fit a bigger turbo once the stocker is maxed out.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 06:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
STi's have the turbo on the firewall and they have no issues

only time will tell with tuning and the motor

but I love my ix
Old Oct 31, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fkdrcrs
i think your questions will truely be answered when the X comes out. IMO id rather go with the IX and know that the 4g63 is bullet proof.
+1