Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

US Spec STI: Test Drive Edmunds

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2007, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US Spec STI: Test Drive Edmunds

Well, not surprising the 08 STI is indeed a quicker car than the EVO X. Edmunds tested one at 13.3 @ 102mph. I doubt even a healthy X could match such a run. Still I've always been big into straight line acceleration, and it just saddens me a bit that neighter the 08 STI or EVO X are the 12 second monsters I once imagined they would be (Well actually I could care less about the STI, because I absolutely hate the STI with a mad passion). Honestly if your into straight line acceleration, stick with your EVO IX, I still believe there is a load of potential left in the Mivec 4G63T. EVO IX owners are finally starting to push the envelope of the stock turbo (another stock turbo EVO IX just hit 400whp+, 443whp to be exact). Still I guess when the 2 cars are compared head to head (EVO X and STI) we will see which is better, handling/technology vs. power/weight around a race track . Look forward to seeing which one comes out the better.

P.S.- I know this isn't really a thread about the EVO X, but since the 08 STI is suppose to be the direct competition I posted it here. Also despite my intense hatred of all Subarus, I must give props to Subaru for improving the overall package (except for styling) of their car and keeping the weight down .

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do....photopanel..3.*

Last edited by 3000ways; Dec 1, 2007 at 12:46 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
Well, not surprising the 08 STI is indeed a quicker car than the EVO X. Edmunds tested one at 13.3 @ 102mph. I doubt even a healthy X could match such a run. Still I've always been big into straight line acceleration, and it just saddens me a bit that neighter the 08 STI or EVO X are the 12 second monsters I once imagined they would be (Well actually I could care less about the STI, because I absolutely hate the STI with a mad passion). Honestly if your into straight line acceleration, stick with your EVO IX, I still believe there is a load of potential left in the Mivec 4G63T. EVO IX owners are finally starting to push the envelope of the stock turbo (another stock turbo EVO IX just hit 400whp+, 443whp to be exact). Still I guess when the 2 cars are compared head to head (EVO X and STI) we will see which is better, handling/technology vs. power/weight around a race track . Look forward to seeing which one comes out the better.

P.S.- I know this isn't really a thread about the EVO X, but since the 08 STI is suppose to be the direct competition I posted it here. Also despite my intense hatred of all Subarus, I must give props to Subaru for improving the overall package (except for styling) of their car and keeping the weight down . With that said f*ck you Subaru

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do....photopanel..3.*
You are a wierd guy..

I hope mitsubishi is paying you for all that fanboyism, otherwise you hating for nothing.

what did subaru do to you lol. Angry man
Old Dec 1, 2007, 12:29 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
why do mitsu people hate subies

they are the reason we drive evos...all thanks to the sales of wrx's back in '02
Old Dec 1, 2007, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax

they are the reason we drive evos...all thanks to the sales of wrx's back in '02
Most mitsu guys don't hate Subaru, I do. That isn't the topic though, if you are licensed psychologist and would like to dive into the the mind of 3000ways, we can set up an appointment and meet later. Either way, the topic of this thread isn't about why I hate Subaru.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 12:40 AM
Evolved Member

Hey at least I gave Subaru props, believe me that was hard for me to do. Fine I edited my intial post a little.

Last edited by 3000ways; Dec 1, 2007 at 12:46 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 01:13 AM
Evolved Member

Definitely a very fast car, props to Subaru.

I will say it again, if it isn't so ugly, I would get one.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 01:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jackygor
Definitely a very fast car, props to Subaru.

I will say it again, if it isn't so ugly, I would get one.
+1 on the ugly part i dont know about the rest
Old Dec 1, 2007, 03:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
I wouldn't own one simply cause they sound like garbage, but thats just me.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 05:30 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Still I've always been big into straight line acceleration...
Figures. The STi ran on 91, pulled a faster slalom time than the IX and its braking ain't too shabby, either. Even on relatively low octane fuel, its acceleration was better than the IX Edmunds tested.

Hey at least I gave Subaru props, believe me that was hard for me to do. Fine I edited my intial post a little.
I see that on your planet, the brand is more important than the actual car.

Last edited by FJF; Dec 1, 2007 at 05:50 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by jackygor
...if it isn't so ugly, I would get one.
+1, only maybe i will get one seeing as the only info we have (all US spec. X tests have been with pre-production cars as far as i've seen) shows that the STI will be almost a full second quicker to 60 than the X!

i think has got some worrying to do when it comes to performance. i'm still praying for a last minute ECU tweeks for a boost in the power department.

Last edited by deegers82; Dec 1, 2007 at 05:56 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Actually, it should be more 'if it wasn't so damn expensive I would get one'.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know, I'm very impressed. I love the Evo, but I go where the performance goes. I like the interior layout better in the STI and I like the fact that I could get a 6-speed. If the performance is better than my MR and the STI motor proves to be competent in modability, I could probably overlook the fact that it looks like ***. I understand why Suby went the way they did, but unlike Sh*tsubishi, they went with improving the basics versus trying to do whatever Mitsu was trying to accomplish with the Evo X. I see more Evo mentality in the Suby than I do the upcoming Evo.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

You can't outrun ugly. I want a car that looks good.

The STI and EVO are both disappointing. The STI is ugly, expensive and no faster than the last STI. The EVO is fat, slow and probably expensive.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Maybe it's time to switch to a 350Z.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Looks like the only thing going for the Evo this time around are the looks which still haven't grown on me.

Quick Reply: US Spec STI: Test Drive Edmunds