Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Is the Evo X really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2008, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvilRob
That's fine I guess you havn't heard but after market parts are already out and the car isin't even being sold here yet. Yep keep on hating.

About the rear view mirror commet, yep you are faster in a straight line but I will be enjoying my quiet interior as I'm talking to my girl.

Last but not least if people really wanted the IX instead of the X they can still buy it. It's not like there isin't planty of them going for sale. Oh look there is about 5 of them for sale in a 50 mile radius from me (only counting private sellers not dealers). Just stop hating if you like your IX why hate on the X you should be happy you have a faster car. So please stop waisting your time posting hate threads becasue it's making you look immature.
That’s not what you call an aftermarket, that’s just a few places that were lucky enough to get the car early and made a few parts.

Let them sell their IX or VIII some else will buy it and or more parts for the rest of us.

I can hate all day if I want, I think Mitsu dropped the ball on this one just like there 2G to 3G eclipse failures. If you want to know why it bothers me so much, I’ll be more then happy to tell you. Not like a bunch of kids who just heard of the EVO when it came to the US I have wanted one of these back from the 3. Over that time the car keep its trim lines but progressed in steps mechanically and visually.
So now what am I looking at with the X? It does not look like an EVO, it has a different engine then an EVO, and it’s being pushed to a demographic that is questionable. The rise in price and the change of look only confirm that mitsu is going for the older crowd like moms and dads just like they did with the eclipse.

Before you tell someone they should stop hating remember this topic is called Is the Evo X really that bad? I am merely stating my opinion on that question, and I know I am entitled to that.

I do not go around posting this stuff in the “I love the X” topics do I? For the most part I only post in topics asking for opinions. If I made a topic saying "what do you think of dogs" because I happen to like dogs I am not going to get all prissy with someone saying they hate them right?

On a side not I thought it was funny you said there are 5 for sale around me in a 50 miles radius, I was wondering there is EVO's in hell?

Last edited by BCOZEVO; Jan 9, 2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^sorry EvilRob

If you want to be somewhere quiet and talk to your girl you should go to the library.

Aftermarket will pick up quickly. I do agree on that.

I would suggest everyone who is looking for a new car buy an Evo IX now before
it's too late.

If you want a 300hp car with AWD. Buy a BMW 335xi. They even give you the option for a sedan, coupe, or convertable.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ExcessLancer
No the X is not bad at all it just costs too much. and has less horse power than many would have liked to see in it.

I don't see this whole "costs too much" argument. The price is approximately a 3% increase per year. For instance, if you bought an VIII in 2003 for 31K, a yearly 3% increase will land you at about what the GSR is set to retail.

Three percent is the approximate national inflation rate per year, as stated by the government. Mitsu seems justified.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PHDoc19
I don't see this whole "costs too much" argument. The price is approximately a 3% increase per year. For instance, if you bought an VIII in 2003 for 31K, a yearly 3% increase will land you at about what the GSR is set to retail.

Three percent is the approximate national inflation rate per year, as stated by the government. Mitsu seems justified.
The point is (at least for me) that demand made the price worth it. If they increase the cost and the car does not sell as well as the 8 to 9 ratio then it will be a mitsu boo boo, once again just like the 2G to 3G eclipse.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FullBoostRacing
The point is (at least for me) that demand made the price worth it. If they increase the cost and the car does not sell as well as the 8 to 9 ratio then it will be a mitsu boo boo, once again just like the 2G to 3G eclipse.
I bought both a 2G and a 3G Eclipse and there was basically no price difference; however, I moved up in trim from the GS in 1997 to the GT in 2000. I loved both cars at the time for what they were. Mitsu made some darn good vehicles to stand up to the crap I put them through.

I'm with you on the price. Demand for the car will dictate whether or not the value/price has merit. Mitsu has a chance to botch or to really shine.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 02:39 PM

No way in hell that the X looks better than the IX!!!

Originally Posted by adambl03
All the debate over the past 6 months about the new Evo X has been dizzying at times. So many opinions on both sides of the fence. Now that we have just about all the information (no gosh darn MSRP yet ), I'll give you my thoughts and we can all go from there.

So, to answer the title of the thread. I guess it depends on your viewpoint on cars. If you're an Evo purist, than the Evo X might feel like the end of the world to you. If you're not focused solely on raw performance, then the new Evo X is a pretty nice car. All depends on which lense from which you view it. I've found myself on both sides of the argument at times. I'm more of an Evo purist, so I'm more often on the hater side of the equation, but I can also appreciate a lot of what the new X offers. But, over the months the Evo X has grown on me. Would I buy it? No. Doesn't mean I hate it and the car has a lot of good things going for it

Exterior styling is an upgrade from the "econo-box with a big wing" styling of the VIII & IX. Don't get me wrong, I love my IX and I actually like the styling because it is so unique. But, the X is a better looking car

Interior styling is also a huge upgrade. While it still has cheap plastics, the layout is better and flows much nicer. All the upgraded electronics are nice and are required to stay in business these days. While I wouldn't exactly need all of them, many consumers expect them to be available in just about any car these days. So, makes sense to offer them in the Evo X

Handling for the X so far has proven to be an upgrade despite all the extra weight. The skidpad numbers are at supercar levels...right where they should be with an Evo

Braking for the X has also proven to be an upgrade. Stopping shorter than the IX with all that extra weight is no small task. Nicely done Mitsu

Weight is a bit out of control. We all realize they needed to add the new safety equipment, but the car still weighs too much. Considering other all-new cars are coming out and weighing the same, or less, than their previous generation (see the new STI and 2009 Mazda6 as examples), Mitsu should have been able to keep weight similar to the IX. They didn't and not much we can do unless you're making it a dedicated track car and you gut the interior

Power is probably the biggest point of contention. Minimal power gains over the IX, and slower straightline acceleration and track times than the IX. Mostly due to the portliness of the X's overall design, the hp/tq figures just seem to be a tad on the low side. Do you think anyone would really complain about this car if the power was at a level to give equal performance numbers to the IX? Hopefully aftermarket mods can make up for this factory power deficiency. You really shouldn't have to go aftermarket to match your predecessor, but it's what we have to deal with. You'll be able to make the X plenty fast for more than 90% of Evo X owners

Putting the SST in the Evo X has been debated to death. I will say that I'm not a fan of semi-manuals/autos like the SST. I prefer that 3rd pedal and the engagement of doing it myself. I will give Mitsu credit for not putting in your typical slushbox auto. At least it's a performance-oriented tranny

Option packages are a little wacky. They could have done a better job of making different options available. For example, not everyone who wants an MR wants the SST...so make the manual available on the MR. Maybe that will happen on the 2009 Evo X

Pricing. While we don't have official MSRP information, we've got enough resources (even a Mitsu video) all saying the same thing. $34K base GSR. $39K base MR. I think this might be the biggest mistake on Mitsu's part because it puts the price of this car dangerously close to luxury cars like the 135i, 335i, IS350, G35, A4, etc. etc. As great as the car is, if you're not a car fanatic and already know what an Evo is, and your shopping one of these luxury cars, it's going to be an uphill battle (on ice) for Mitsu to convince that shopper to come check out the Evo X. Time will tell. I foresee the first few months selling out because hot new cars usually do. But, after that I wouldn't be surprised to see incentives on the Evo (which never happened before) and being able to buy the Evo X at invoice price (which did happen on the VIII and IX...I bought my IX for invoice)

So, when you add it all up...is the Evo X really that bad? Not at all. That's why all the reviews in the magazines have been positive. Mitsu is betting the future of the company on the success of this car. Let's hope the gambles they've made in refinement, performance and pricing pay off so we'll continue to have future generations of Evos.

My $.02. Well, with how long this is, I guess it's more like $.03
Old Jan 9, 2008, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=TruBluIX;5136032]steinvb12

Less driver input is exactly why I don't like it. If you're purchasing the street version of a "rally car" with sports car like reflexes, handling, and acceleration, I want the closest you can get to that "rally car" but street legal.

If you look good going around a track because the car is that good, congratulations on the purchase.
If you look good going around a track because you are driving the car for all it's worth and making it look that good, congratulations on your skill.

If the car has just enough technology to help you out when the going gets tough. That's perfect.
If the car cradles you and doesn't let you ride that fine line between trouble and control, then what fun is that?

I can see where your coming from but I think your impression of the IX and older Evos is wrong. Yes, the steering gives you lots of feel and the car is very very responsive, but the IX is still an electronic marvel. It will make a mediocre driver look very good and the X is just offering more of the same apparantly (we don't know yet because none of us have driven one).
Qoutes from reviewers on the IX, like "It's almost impossible to crash this thing" abound. And it's true. The only reason you see so many posts titled "Just crashed my Evo" is #1: We're on an Evo forum and #2 The car inspires so much confidence that people will drive recklessly in situations where even the electronic marvels of the IX can't save them. If you want a true drivers car, buy an older BMW M3 or something similar. Those cars have to be driven. The Evo uses electronics to gain an advantage. But what's wrong with that? Racers have been advancing the technology in cars to gain an advantage ever since Motorsports have existed. Now if your personal opinon is that you want to have complete control of the car around the track even if it makes you slower, there is nothing wrong with that. As a matter of fact, it is probably good for somone to learn on a more basic vehicle so that they can appreciate what the Evo does for them, and so they understand the basics/physics of racing. And many people who learned on cars like that prefer to stick with them. But the Evo is not a car like that.

If you look at it this way, the IX is just a toned down version of what the X will be: A car that helps the driver get around a track real fast.

And by the way, I'm not hating on the IX and older Evos. I own a IX myself and have no plans on trading in for a X. I love my IX.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

^^^^
Some decent points. I know a guy who crashed his VIII (back in 03 when they first came out) the first night he got it because he thought the car was invincible. Hopefully this won't be a trend for the X owners.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FullBoostRacing
This is so much fun....

X = Unknown - At least I knew what I was getting based off of over a decade of trial and error with the 4G63. BTW have fun waiting on your aftermarket

Please go and buy the X, I think it would look great in my rear view mirror and the STi I am beating. I mean who else if going to be the film car?

SCRATCH - You're right...it's SOOOO terrible. How far behind is the X? A tenth of a second? Besides, the drivers are different. How can you even post a picture like that.

SCRATCH - Aftermarket will certainly be there!! What did we do when the VIII arrived? We waited a few months and there was plenty available. The only reason there was parts for your IX is because VIII's were around!

SCRATCH - You just said the X is unknown, yet somehow you know so much about it and how terrible it is. For all you know, the X will respond to mods better and be FASTER with the same mods!! And THAT is what really matters. Mitsu has requirements it needs to meet with emissions and such so they probably did need to detune it a bit. Let's see what is does with some mods because that's where we will see what it's really made of. Not even YOU cannot deny that since no has tested it yet.

Somehow you know everything when the car isn't even out yet....
Old Jan 9, 2008, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

This is OT, but I love your avatar, steinvb12.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 03:08 PM

EVERYONE IN HELL DRIVES AND EVO X

poor souls
Old Jan 9, 2008, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steinvb12
SCRATCH - You're right...it's SOOOO terrible. How far behind is the X? A tenth of a second? Besides, the drivers are different. How can you even post a picture like that.

SCRATCH - Aftermarket will certainly be there!! What did we do when the VIII arrived? We waited a few months and there was plenty available. The only reason there was parts for your IX is because VIII's were around!

SCRATCH - You just said the X is unknown, yet somehow you know so much about it and how terrible it is. For all you know, the X will respond to mods better and be FASTER with the same mods!! And THAT is what really matters. Mitsu has requirements it needs to meet with emissions and such so they probably did need to detune it a bit. Let's see what is does with some mods because that's where we will see what it's really made of. Not even YOU cannot deny that since no has tested it yet.

Somehow you know everything when the car isn't even out yet....
"How can you even post a picture like that" I did it just to make your day

Whats with the SCRATCHing? Fleas?
Old Jan 9, 2008, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

I can hate all day if I want, I think Mitsu dropped the ball on this one just like there 2G to 3G eclipse failures. If you want to know why it bothers me so much, I’ll be more then happy to tell you. Not like a bunch of kids who just heard of the EVO when it came to the US I have wanted one of these back from the 3. Over that time the car keep its trim lines but progressed in steps mechanically and visually.
So now what am I looking at with the X? It does not look like an EVO, it has a different engine then an EVO, and it’s being pushed to a demographic that is questionable. The rise in price and the change of look only confirm that mitsu is going for the older crowd like moms and dads just like they did with the eclipse.

Hell Michigan idiots its a real location

PS 2nd Gen of eclipses had the GSX so how did they mess up the 2nd gen? AWD turbo with a coupe/hatchback body hmm... Fullboostracing you should know that of all people having sold one and all. Oh did you mean 2g to 3g failure not failures. Not quite sure

Last edited by EvilRob; Jan 9, 2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Hell Michigan idiots its a real location

PS 2nd Gen of eclipses had the GSX so how did they mess up the 2nd gen? AWD turbo with a coupe/hatchback body hmm... Fullboostracing you should know that of all people having sold one and all. Oh did you mean 2g to 3g failure not failures. Not quite sure
I was not forced to read the dictionary as a child so I do not have a prefect v o c a b u l a r y (sorry had to sound it out thank god your here to keep me on my toes) all the time. Ill break it down for you just to make sure you understand, I think mitsu dumping the 4G63 and AWD in the eclipse was the worst mistake ever. I am not bashing the 3G's just saying the turbo AWD is what did it for me and a lot of other people who were just waiting for the EVO after that. The only reason I bought a 4G was mitsu wised up and brought the old body style back plus I can swap the 4G63 in if I want with EVO drive train (ralliart 4G eclipse).
So back on topic..... Ill still keep my IX
Old Jan 9, 2008, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

That's fine I guess you havn't heard but after market parts are already out and the car isin't even being sold here yet. Yep keep on hating.

About the rear view mirror commet, yep you are faster in a straight line but I will be enjoying my quiet interior as I'm talking to my girl.

Last but not least if people really wanted the IX instead of the X they can still buy it. It's not like there isin't planty of them going for sale. Oh look there is about 5 of them for sale in a 50 mile radius from me (only counting private sellers not dealers). Just stop hating if you like your IX why hate on the X you should be happy you have a faster car. So please stop waisting your time posting hate threads becasue it's making you look immature.
Sorry I can't resist, but as you're talking to your girl all it takes is a slammed 335i on BBS' in that sexy blue to pull up next to you before she gets out. LOL @ buying an Evo because it's "quiet" and is "nice," in no way is it a car that will attract girls unless you're on a high school or college campus (and if its college she's most likely a freshman or sophomore).

Last edited by Boostfiend; Jan 9, 2008 at 05:50 PM.