Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Where is Buschur, AMS, Al and the east coast crew??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So one of the local (utah) dealerships got a couple over the weekend. I went to check 'em out today and they only had one. Sold one last night to COBB tuning. According to the salesman the buyer pretty much walked in with a check, no questions, and drove it home. COBB looks to be getting serious about the Evo X, that's saying something about a darn good Subaru tuner.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 06:54 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Ultimate CC
I think people have a misconception on how much some of these shops really make....
yes sir!! too many of you guys slashing each others throat.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BoostEZ I agree with you but why don't you have one?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

How much does a tuner shop make?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dont Try To Run
How much does a tuner shop make?
I think that most of them do it for passion, not for the money.
As a engineer would make more money working for a medical field then for a performance shop.

Its all about the passion
Old Jan 22, 2008, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
all with this in the brand new car? Not even ecu flash out yet....
Do you know what happeneds when you put TBE and intake no ecu flash /at least?/ not to mention you want raise the boost... and go to the dyno and race track . and just keep testing the car?
i hope you are not tuner.
I'm not a tuner, but your accusations sound a little ridiculous. You can't blow the engine from doing the things I posted. It's just that simple. And I never said take the car to the track with those mods. I said, dyno it with those mods.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FLOW1
BoostEZ I agree with you but why don't you have one?
I'm not a tuner, nor an owner of a shop... and lastly, don't want to go back into debt.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
I'm not a tuner, but your accusations sound a little ridiculous. You can't blow the engine from doing the things I posted. It's just that simple. And I never said take the car to the track with those mods. I said, dyno it with those mods.
So with a TBE, MBC, and intake your saying to dyno a car?
LOL

Let me get this straight. Lean it out with a intake and lean it more out with a TBE. Then raise the boost so the car runs even leaner?
That is just asking for issues.

This worked on cars from early 90's as the ECU's used minimal sensor imput compared to todays cars. This trick does not work on new cars so well. Fuel cut will be the 1st issue that would come up quickly.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by snowman4us
So with a TBE, MBC, and intake your saying to dyno a car?
LOL

Let me get this straight. Lean it out with a intake and lean it more out with a TBE. Then raise the boost so the car runs even leaner?
That is just asking for issues.

This worked on cars from early 90's as the ECU's used minimal sensor imput compared to todays cars. This trick does not work on new cars so well. Fuel cut will be the 1st issue that would come up quickly.
No. I'm not saying that either.

Sheesh.. I guess I have to type a walkthrough..

1) Put the car on the dyno and dyno it bone stock.

2) Pull the airbox, and dyno it again.. (this won't cause a thing except leaning out the mixture - which was done at Vivid).

3) Put the airbox back on.. take off the downpipe back exhaust.. Dyno it again. This also won't do anything harmful to the car.

4) Put the exhaust back on. Turn up the boost 1-2lbs. Dyno it again. I've owned 6 different turbo cars and have never had any car NOT be able to take at least 3-4lbs above stock levels. As you said, fuel cut would happen at some threshold. That needs to be known too.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 02:47 AM
Evolving Member

I agree with you guys who are so anxious (that feel like they will die without more hp). The R&D is a great idea. Strapping on the dyno and getting different numbers from different scenarios is great also. But remember this, how many products have been manufactured for the Evo 8's and 9's that weren't worth the money or weren't as reliable especially for someone like myself who uses it as a daily driver (368 whp 80,000 mile daily driver). So I guess you could say that the X will be quite a step down in power initially. Point being, you can have all the parts that can be manufactured and slap them on the car, but are you really taking the time to find out if these are worth the money vs. hp gains vs. reliability. I don't know about any of you guys, but like someone stated... Alot of people do care about reliability and when I do get mine. I live on the East Coast, and don't plan to make a trip to Cali anytime soon to pick up one. But I will have it soon enough. Just remember, just because a part was manufactured for the X doesn't mean that it will be the better product. Give the companies a little breathing room and let them do what they do best. Competitors will definitely step things up to quickly make better more efficient, reliable, possibly cheaper products to keep up with the other shops and companies. All I know is, before I do anything to mine just as I did with my 8, I will do plenty of research and let all the little guys with pockets full of money jump into all the first batches of parts and products. I for one will wait just a little while just to get some good competition and even better products in the market. Research...
Old Jan 23, 2008, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
No. I'm not saying that either.

Sheesh.. I guess I have to type a walkthrough..

1) Put the car on the dyno and dyno it bone stock.

2) Pull the airbox, and dyno it again.. (this won't cause a thing except leaning out the mixture - which was done at Vivid).

3) Put the airbox back on.. take off the downpipe back exhaust.. Dyno it again. This also won't do anything harmful to the car.

4) Put the exhaust back on. Turn up the boost 1-2lbs. Dyno it again. I've owned 6 different turbo cars and have never had any car NOT be able to take at least 3-4lbs above stock levels. As you said, fuel cut would happen at some threshold. That needs to be known too.
dou you know the real numbers what you make with new product will come after you tune the ECU? So when you don't do that, you will get fals numbers or even hurt the engine. So you achived and learned close to nothing.
Example: intake - tbe can ,let say give you 30 whp with tune. so you know your exhaust and intake working fine ,without knocking etc.
Now how you will do that without the tune? you will gain 15 whp /if/ and no idea whats happening? Remember the K&N Typhoon issues? So you would call it suxsess ?
Also in the first couple times will be some issues to find the best way to do things. It takes time. Now 2 weeks delay maybe even can help to skipp some of those issues ... Learn things from other people, and step forward from there.
You see the rush is not always your best friend. I understand the rush from 8-9. Because it was virtually a same car , and little different engine . You had everything almost to start with. But the X is completly different car ,different issues to solve etc.
This is my opinion anyway. No hard feeling .
Old Jan 23, 2008, 04:26 AM
Evolving Member

"Remember the K&N Typhoon issues"? Perfect example. I rest my case. Hold your horses everyone. Give the shops and developers time to work out all the bugs.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by snowman4us
I think that most of them do it for passion, not for the money.
As a engineer would make more money working for a medical field then for a performance shop.

Its all about the passion
I am an engineer in the medical field. My passion is cars and that's the industry I'd be in if the money was there, but I've got 3 kids, a house and minivan payments to make. Of course, as a consequence, I drive a '98 Civic LX, not an EVO/WRX/etc. Oh well, some day.
Chris
Old Jan 23, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

i think AMS said in a thread that they have one coming. Give it a little more time the car literally just came out and most dealers dont even have there orders yet
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

BoostEZ, well to me you sound like you know what your talking about, so.

Quick Reply: Where is Buschur, AMS, Al and the east coast crew??