Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

EVO X Maintenance & Servicing Requirments

Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:22 AM
Plat Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EVO X Maintenance & Servicing Requirments

This came over last night from MMNA.

As part of the new model training for technicians for the EVO X, a new service interval for changing the oil and filter is being instituted for this new vehicle. For all new EVO X models, GSR and MR, the engine oil and filter change interval is now 3000 miles or sooner. (The previous interval was recommended at 5000 miles). The required oil is Mobil One Synthetic 5W30. As in the past, it states clearly in the owners manual that the oil should be checked and maintained at the proper every time the car is filled with gas, without exception. This will help prevent premature engine failure from improper oil level which can lead to bearing damage and engine failure.

As in the past, engine failure is not a warranty matter if the engine was not maintained properly. Proper maintenance includes changing the oil and filter at the factory recommended intervals, using Genuine Mitsubishi parts, and maintaining the proper oil level in between oil services.

The new vehicle warranty for this new EVO X is new 3 year 36,000 basic and 5 year 60,000 Powertrain coverage. As in the past, proper maintenance of the vehicle is essential if a warranty repair is to be performed. Any modifications made to the powertrain and especially the engine may invalidate the powertrain warranty. Please encourage your customers to leave the powertrain in its factory designed condition, particularly if they desire to have their vehicle covered under the Mitsubishi factory warranty.

There are many other changes to this new and exciting model. Be sure to discuss them with your technician when he returns from the 081 technician training class.

Thank you.

Regards, xxxxxx xxxxxxx
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranties are going to be voided like mad!!! Also in another note I wonder if they are having oil consumption problems??
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:18 AM

Do you know if Ralliart parts will void the warranty?

For example the Ralliart intercooler pipe.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, im curious if the oil change is necessary due to low oil, or contamination. After break in it will be interesting to have the oil evaluated to see what the lifespan really is.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

3k miles? thats crazy.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

i changed my oil in the 8 every 3k and diff/tranny every 9k.

so i expect to keep that the same with the x. but good to know its what they recommend.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

I don't see how changing the oil every 3k is a 'good' thing when you look at it from product perspective.

The EVO X was positioned as a mainstream performance sedan. If you compare something similar, like a 3 series or even M3. I believe that their service intervals go as high as 10k miles between oil change/service interval.

Something like 3k miles shows lack of durability in the engine/powertrain.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:56 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scottatayamaha
Warranties are going to be voided like mad!!! Also in another note I wonder if they are having oil consumption problems??
That's the first thing that popped into my head when I read that. My wife has an RX-8 and you have to check and change the oil with the same frequency because rotary engines (by design) burn oil. Hmmm....
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steve_evo
I don't see how changing the oil every 3k is a 'good' thing when you look at it from product perspective.

The EVO X was positioned as a mainstream performance sedan. If you compare something similar, like a 3 series or even M3. I believe that their service intervals go as high as 10k miles between oil change/service interval.

Something like 3k miles shows lack of durability in the engine/powertrain.
Have you ever seen the inside of an engine that has been changed every 10-15K miles? I have never seen it personally but I have been shown pictures. It's a gunky mess. Even if the manufacturer says 10-15K miles between changes, don't do it. Change every 3-5K and you engine will live a lot longer.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:37 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Longfury
Have you ever seen the inside of an engine that has been changed every 10-15K miles? I have never seen it personally but I have been shown pictures. It's a gunky mess. Even if the manufacturer says 10-15K miles between changes, don't do it. Change every 3-5K and you engine will live a lot longer.
not unless you are using synthetic oil to begin with. I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic in my pilot and the presence of the extended performance Mobil 1 have change the interval to every 15K miles with no problems whatsoever. time will tell.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
not unless you are using synthetic oil to begin with. I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic in my pilot and the presence of the extended performance Mobil 1 have change the interval to every 15K miles with no problems whatsoever. time will tell.
With a synthetic I would go no more than 5K miles. I am just paranoid. To me its cheap and easy to do myself so why not do it more often.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:50 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Longfury
With a synthetic I would go no more than 5K miles. I am just paranoid. To me its cheap and easy to do myself so why not do it more often.
Mobil 1 have the new extended performance which is good up to 15K miles. almost the same price as a regular Mobil 1 except for a few cents.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This discussion was popular on the earlier Evo's as well. How long can you go, really, between oil changes. Well, for $80, you can send your oil in and see if it REALLY needed to be changed. Just do a google search. I found that at 5k miles, my oil wasn't even beginning to break down, and contained no contaminants in a quantity that was detrimental to the car. I tried it again at 10k, and once again, same results. However, I drew the line at 10k, and have changed my oil at that interval ever since.

But, if for some reason the oil level is dropping drastically, then that would be a different problem altogether. When I first got the Evo VIII, I had this issue, but by around 5k miles, the oil level stayed pretty constant between changes. Unless I did a track day of course
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

i personally drive my car harder and more than my friends with auid s4's. bmw 335i's, m3's, m6's...

so if they want to let it ride for 10-15k, im totally all for it (also, since they have service plans, they cant change them for free without hitting the magic number anyway)

for me, since i pay the $50 for the oil change, i do it when i feel i should. so im fine with 3k. i look at it as i always have, you pay to play. if i just cruised to and from work in it on the freeway, id probably switch it to 5k or 10k.

ive taken care of my last 2 mitsu's. with mods the gst is still running fine at 180k miles, and the evo 8 is doing well with 115k.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:33 PM
Account Disabled

This is crazy!

Looks like their going to be voiding everyone for not following this step by step. This car seems to be more expensive then just the MSRP you pay.

Maintenance+Gas=A very expensive car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EVO X Maintenance & Servicing Requirments