Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

EVO X vs 2008, EVO I vs 1992

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2008, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@WestSideBilly: I do know that there were rally specifications for the earlier evos, but mitsu strayed from those.. but I was wondering if there were any other significant changes over the generations-

And for the wiki guy, I checked that a long time ago, but it just says pretty much what was done to the engine and not if 1/4 mile times/ track times were reduced or not, or the fact that I noticed that the evo has been getting longer and wider.. (evoX is like a foot longer and wider than evoI this is an exaggeration)

what changed between the vi and vii that did not adhere to rally specs?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 03:51 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
sorry i don't get this one./my bad english/ would you explain to me ,what are you said here to me?
The other cars he listed had no restraints place on them. The Evo had to maintain it's 2.0L displacement cap, as well as remain affordable enough for the rally teams to use and light enough to be competitive as a race car.

Most of the cars the OP listed had increases of displacement and significantly higher costs. The Ferrari 348 had a 3.4L engine in '92, the Ferrari 430 had a 4.3L engine in '07 and cost more than twice as much. The increase in performance largely came from the extra displacement and keeping the weight in check (at significant cost). The GT-R went from a ~300 HP 2.6L I6 to a ~450 HP 3.8L V6 in the time period.

The Evo stayed basically the same weight from version 1 through 6.5, with HP moving from ~240 to around 300 (was always listed as 276, but was obviously more than that).
Old Feb 5, 2008, 04:00 PM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by AzN_Enthusiast
@WestSideBilly: I do know that there were rally specifications for the earlier evos, but mitsu strayed from those.. but I was wondering if there were any other significant changes over the generations-

what changed between the vi and vii that did not adhere to rally specs?
The VII was probably the first significant change from what the original was. Evo I through VI were very much (small) evolutions, mostly relating to slight increases in usable power (i.e. a wider powerband), cooling, braking, and general durability.

I should note that Mitsubishi has generally stuck with the WRC class rules (i.e. 2.0L displacement, AWD, etc) so the cars can be easily turned into privateer models. Even the EvoX conforms. Sorry if I implied that was not the case. The differences I mention were the change from Group A homologation (I through IV, strictly speaking, but I through 6.5 for the most part) and WRC class (V through X).

Subaru went with the 2.5 in the STi and that car is no longer eligible as a WRC class car.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WSB makes an excellent point. There have been many restriction placed on WRC homologation cars. Even though mitsu got out of WRC, they kept building cars to WRC spec.

Also....STI has a 2L everywhere else in the world so it stays legal for WRC. That car is the best point of reference for progress.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

What mods are saying is that before, the WRC counterparts were basically the same car that has been modified, but now Evolution and STi don't share too much with the WRC cars. For WRC cars, up to EVO VI it was directly based off EVO, but now it is based on base Lancer. I'm not too sure whether to agree on Impreza though, because they still have 2.0 for their home market STi's.

I also agree that EVO had too many restrictions. First is the displacement, second is the power cap. A lot of JDM cars that reached the 280hp cap continued to increase the output but they did it very carefully and subtle. Otherwise most of them would've been already in 400hp crank ballpark and low 300whp range. Obviously Silvia and Civic didn't have much restraints from these, since they don't have displacement limits nor were they close to 280hp mark. Civic went from 1.6 to 2.0, Silvia went from 1.8T 180hp to 2.0T 250hp from S13 to S15.

My complaint is though X went a little too hardcore in making the interior looking nice and spacious, the car is big from outside, it is heavy. It has already been a few years since they decided to stop the 280hp cap non-sense (although GT-R is the only production car since they changed the agreement) but they are being so restrictive on EVO still. A lot of companies are already showing that the X powertrain has plenty hidden to unleash in stock form, with very little cost. EVO was in top end of the Japanese car performance spectrum back in 1992, but I'm not sure if it would be able to once Honda and Toyota release what they are planning now.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 05:18 PM
El Jefe

In fairness, most of the aftermarket changes to the 4B11 would not hold up to the requirements of emissions, reliability, and cost for a mass production car.

The size thing did surprise me, but then again the new Lancer is a bigger car because that's what Americans (who buy the most cars) demand. Bigger is not better for sports cars, but it is for economy cars (within reason).
Old Feb 5, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
The other cars he listed had no restraints place on them. The Evo had to maintain it's 2.0L displacement cap, as well as remain affordable enough for the rally teams to use and light enough to be competitive as a race car.

Most of the cars the OP listed had increases of displacement and significantly higher costs. The Ferrari 348 had a 3.4L engine in '92, the Ferrari 430 had a 4.3L engine in '07 and cost more than twice as much. The increase in performance largely came from the extra displacement and keeping the weight in check (at significant cost). The GT-R went from a ~300 HP 2.6L I6 to a ~450 HP 3.8L V6 in the time period.

The Evo stayed basically the same weight from version 1 through 6.5, with HP moving from ~240 to around 300 (was always listed as 276, but was obviously more than that).
thanks ,i got it.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CharlesJ
STI has a 2L everywhere else in the world so it stays legal for WRC. That car is the best point of reference for progress.
Not true. The 2.5L is used everywhere except Japan. Also, in particular the homologation car is the Spec C. They could use the 2.5L for everything else if they wanted, even in Japan.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

"What mods are saying is that before, the WRC counterparts were basically the same car that has been modified, but now Evolution and STi don't share too much with the WRC cars. For WRC cars, up to EVO VI it was directly based off EVO, but now it is based on base Lancer. I'm not too sure whether to agree on Impreza though, because they still have 2.0 for their home market STi's."

the WRC car are build race car. Not a classic rally car.I try to explain as simple as i can:

the rally car:
The whole idea about the rally is , to buy a car from the show room and some modifications ,mainly safety, you going out to race with them. It is a reality for everyone. Just like the gokart. That is why untill 2000 you need to sell at least 2500 unit /year, in the market as a street car to run them in the Rally. They must be street legal. So the race was open for privat low budget people too. wich is great! Anybody who wants to race they can. this is still going on and the best races always the group "N". No big dogs can take over ,unless they drive good!That is why the whole country was in the wood when was the race going on, because you always had somebody who you know running!

WRC car:
since 2000 they dont need to sell these cars on the market. So they are factory backed up , only for race purpose build cars. NO single man can run them longer with own budget over a season. BUt they unbeatable cars in the rally. No way you can touch them with any rally car. Kinda like try to beat the F1 car with the NASCAR on the Nurburgring.
to run a WRC car you need a team, i mean a TEAM and a BANK.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rootus
Not true. The 2.5L is used everywhere except Japan. Also, in particular the homologation car is the Spec C. They could use the 2.5L for everything else if they wanted, even in Japan.
rally = 2 liter engine , period.
everybody want the 2 liter engine STI. only thing is the 2.5 is cheaper...
My friend just got one in Eu. They called the 2.5 ones there the forester STI's....
most 2.5 one imported from usa.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:24 PM
El Jefe

Forester STi