Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Trunk in the Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2008, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daddymac
Ouch. lol

Subaru has fixed they're issues with not having folding rear seats in they're new WRX sedan. And I'm sure they're STI hatch will have folding seats.
The new WRX had lost the rear diff and gained a fold down rear seats.
Oh, take your pick. I'll take the rear diff.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nongan
The new WRX had lost the rear diff and gained a fold down rear seats.
Oh, take your pick. I'll take the rear diff.
Ok, well that I didn't know.

All I'm saying is that i'm sure there would be ways around it. I just think that by NOT having the ability to fold down the seats and expand the space of a pretty small trunk you (as a manufacturer) are limiting your sales.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, well that I didn't know.

All I'm saying is that i'm sure there would be ways around it. I just think that by NOT having the ability to fold down the seats and expand the space of a pretty small trunk you (as a manufacturer) are limiting your sales.
I don't think people buying an Evo really give two ****s about a trunk.

It's an Evo, not a Camry
Old Feb 14, 2008, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Daily driver?

For a car that is touted as being a better daily driver, not having fold-down seats is definitely a problem, especially if this will be your only car. Why can't I have a high performance car with versatility at the same time? I play hockey, surf, and snowboard - 3 simple things I won't be able to use my car to do. I could buy roof racks for the latter two, but this definitely cuts back on its daily driveability. It's not like it's a Ferrari...it's a sedan. I guess I'm just surprised that in Mitsubishi's attempt to enter the mass market, it didn't include this feature.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

I just came from the dealer and the trunk is really small
Old Feb 14, 2008, 02:30 PM

Intersting.

Well, that is one point I can honestly say I never knew about the VIII/IX's.

Unfortunatley, thats also the reason why I never ended up buying a WRX/STI...they have the same PROBLEM.

Hopefully they (being Mitsu) didn't design the new Ralliart with the same flaw.
You say it like it's a problem/Flaw? What?

It's not a problem or flaw. The evo is truely rally inspired and bred to be as close to a street legal race car as you can get for under $35k. It's a car designed for still a niche market of enthusiasts. With the X mitsu did compromise a bit to make it more of a daily driver and to move it upscale in the market to a more mature demographic. But it's still bred from a racecar. They needed structural rigidity. So they have an Xbrace there to really complete the chassis. As mentioned before, there are other ways of doing this but with the AWD system underneath and various other components. This would be the easiest and cheapest way to accomplish this. You guys really don't want to price to come up any more do you?

The brace is part of the design, i would in no way consider it a flaw or problem. Your perspective is skewed. If you want something to carry your cargo, get a hatch, get an R32 or an STI.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just throw your crap in the back seat.There is plenty of room back there.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the small trunk space is an inconvenience, but it's an EVO, I'm not going to pass it up, just 'cause of the trunk (or lack there of).
Old Feb 14, 2008, 04:39 PM

EVO VIII/IX Trunk is actually Big enough for a Large suitcase and a few backpacks. The X trunk is too small for the Large suitcase.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by macPSU
For a car that is touted as being a better daily driver, not having fold-down seats is definitely a problem, especially if this will be your only car. Why can't I have a high performance car with versatility at the same time? I play hockey, surf, and snowboard - 3 simple things I won't be able to use my car to do. I could buy roof racks for the latter two, but this definitely cuts back on its daily driveability. It's not like it's a Ferrari...it's a sedan. I guess I'm just surprised that in Mitsubishi's attempt to enter the mass market, it didn't include this feature.
Surf board would still hang out the trunk anyways even if the seats did fold down. I've seen plenty of cars with roof racks for snowboards even when the seats do fold down like jettas and civics. Roof rack would do double duty for your surfboard and snowboard.

Hockey sticks would be your only inconvenience. But seriously a majority of the people buying cars don't all play hockey. I also own a civic and have only used the fold down seats once since i bought it. I guess i just don't buy alot of large items for my apartment? All the furniture i've bought was either delivered or came in a box for me to assemble.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gggplaya
You say it like it's a problem/Flaw? What?

It's not a problem or flaw. The evo is truely rally inspired and bred to be as close to a street legal race car as you can get for under $35k. It's a car designed for still a niche market of enthusiasts. With the X mitsu did compromise a bit to make it more of a daily driver and to move it upscale in the market to a more mature demographic. But it's still bred from a racecar. They needed structural rigidity. So they have an Xbrace there to really complete the chassis. As mentioned before, there are other ways of doing this but with the AWD system underneath and various other components. This would be the easiest and cheapest way to accomplish this. You guys really don't want to price to come up any more do you?

The brace is part of the design, i would in no way consider it a flaw or problem. Your perspective is skewed. If you want something to carry your cargo, get a hatch, get an R32 or an STI.
While I can understand the points you've made above supporting Mitsu's stance on the design of the X, I find some irony at the same time. As you alluded to, Mitsu is attempting to draw a larger audience to this version of the Evo, a more well-to-do demographic so to speak. I'd be willing to bet that many that belong in this targeted demographic will have an issue with this insanely tiny trunk. You know how finicky(sp?) American consumers are, especially ones with money and want everything in their car. I'd imagine having some decent cargo space is one of them. Everyone knows that Mitsu must sell a lot of the Evo X cars to help them over their slump in the industry. The company has been hurting for a long time and it seems that this newest iteration of the X is virtually a do-or-die situation. If they fail in selling this car in large quantities, it will spell trouble. Of course there will always be the niche markets and buyers that will welcome this car. Just keep in mind the choices available today (including the arch enemy Subaru with their STi) in this price range. Many German car snobs (including myself? ) will have a difficult time spending this kind of $$ and not getting certain amenities. Personally I like what I've seen so far as I did see many over at South Coast this past weekend, including the MR. IMHO this is a big step up from the previous generation and may finally sway me into seriously considering one. It remains to be seen for the mass population however.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 05:45 PM
Account Disabled

The trunk is the biggest dissapointment aside from the no sunroof.

Small things yes, but they hurt the practicality of the car.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by TCinOC
While I can understand the points you've made above supporting Mitsu's stance on the design of the X, I find some irony at the same time. As you alluded to, Mitsu is attempting to draw a larger audience to this version of the Evo, a more well-to-do demographic so to speak. I'd be willing to bet that many that belong in this targeted demographic will have an issue with this insanely tiny trunk. You know how finicky(sp?) American consumers are, especially ones with money and want everything in their car. I'd imagine having some decent cargo space is one of them. Everyone knows that Mitsu must sell a lot of the Evo X cars to help them over their slump in the industry. The company has been hurting for a long time and it seems that this newest iteration of the X is virtually a do-or-die situation. If they fail in selling this car in large quantities, it will spell trouble. Of course there will always be the niche markets and buyers that will welcome this car. Just keep in mind the choices available today (including the arch enemy Subaru with their STi) in this price range. Many German car snobs (including myself? ) will have a difficult time spending this kind of $$ and not getting certain amenities. Personally I like what I've seen so far as I did see many over at South Coast this past weekend, including the MR. IMHO this is a big step up from the previous generation and may finally sway me into seriously considering one. It remains to be seen for the mass population however.
i doubt mitsu ever plans on selling the evo to actually churn enough profit to actually post some nice sales figures. This car and the sti are in a niche market. They are more for brand recognition then to roll in and out of dealer floors and be their bread and butter. I think the move to a slightly more upscale market and older demographic was to actually sell enough to keep mitsubishi from going further into the red by making a car for brand recognition. To at least keep up performance wise. They already knew they weren't going to beat the new sti in power. So they have to play on their handling as their strength in which it still beats the sti.

The designers are not dumb. I'm sure they gave it alot of thought because some of the most common complaints of the previous evos was the trunk access and the lack of cruise control as well as noise and ride quality. Seems like they listened and accomodated what they could. Cruise control is now standard, noise is more dampened, ride quality improved. While they wanted to make it more accomodating of a daily driver, they don't want to go "toyota camry" on everyone and lose its race car heritage.

To actually make some money they will be releasing the ralliart which hopefully will be their "WRX". Who knows, they may or may not put a useable trunk in the ralliart. I'm willing to bet they'll ditch the Xbrace and move the coolant resevoir and battery off to the side of the trunk. Then put a pass through in.

Last edited by gggplaya; Feb 14, 2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en
The trunk is the biggest dissapointment aside from the no sunroof.

Small things yes, but they hurt the practicality of the car.
You can get a sunroof on an MR. But it has steel roof instead of aluminum when sunroof equipped.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gggplaya
You can get a sunroof on an MR. But it has steel roof instead of aluminum when sunroof equipped.
Really? I didn't know that. I thought the only basic option was going to be the Technology Package. Interesting. Personally I don't usually do sunroofs. In fact I've done sunroof deletes on my previous cars including B7 S4 and E46 M3. Lighter weight and cleaner look IMO.

Quick Reply: Trunk in the Evo X