Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Is Gravel Mode Faster Than Tarmac Mode??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2008, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TrackDay @Cal Speedway Interior Road Course: Is Gravel Mode Faster Than Tarmac Mode??

I was at California Speedway Interior Road Course this weekend. It was a really hot day, and my Nitto NT-01s were slipping all over the place. Luckily, in the morning, I was able to run low 1:16s. In the afternoon, I was running high 1:16's and low 1:17s. Then, I had a thought about putting the ACD into Gravel Mode, I ran my personal best of 1:15.55. When I was getting out of the corner, I definitely felt less slip. So go on an try Gravel and Snow modes when your slicks are getting slippery.

And FYI, I lapped an R34 Skyline, 2008 STI, Porches (except one GT3 ), and was pretty much one of the fastest cars out there besides these fully built race cars.

I will post the official laptime from Speedventures, as soon as they post it.
Go to the website below for more photos.
http://www.motorsportlens.com

Last edited by Jooyoung99; Jul 28, 2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Makes sense to a point, I believe as you put it in to gravel and then snow, the differential transfers more power to each wheel separately as you go from tarmac, to gravel and then snow. I'f your slicks were slipping, it may have been transferring the drive to another wheel with more grip. Then again, I'm no expert in this field.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've tried it (after reading that it could be faster) and on the surfaces here that are sticky as heck concrete it didn't help
Old Jul 28, 2008, 04:20 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Spookpur
Makes sense to a point, I believe as you put it in to gravel and then snow, the differential transfers more power to each wheel separately as you go from tarmac, to gravel and then snow. I'f your slicks were slipping, it may have been transferring the drive to another wheel with more grip. Then again, I'm no expert in this field.
What I think is happening is when you put it in gravel or snow mode it puts less power to the wheels with the most grip compared to tarmac mode. Being in gravel or snow mode should cause the car to be less slippery and less prone to oversteer. I'm pretty sure that if you use tarmac mode on gravel you will slide and oversteer way too much and be slower than while being in gravel mode. I'm just guessing, though.

Last edited by VincentX; Jul 28, 2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 05:47 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those pictures are sick. Makes me want to go out and drive!
Old Jul 28, 2008, 06:00 PM

have you ever try to disconnect it?
could it let us goiung further on drift and sometime beein faster

I also own a C5 and my best time are the one with the ESP disconnected.
on the other side when disconnected the ESP I worn much more tires (which make sense)

I only track the car once and forget to try it with the X
Old Jul 28, 2008, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

no, with it disconnected you will understeer like an Sti
Old Jul 28, 2008, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll try this out at firebird in a few weeks.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

From what I can remember.. By switching to gravel and or snow, it puts the power more to the front wheels.. Thus pulling a car out of a corner.. Even still, you do have power going to the rears.. Makes the car more controllable on loose surfaces..

But all that can be null and void with the new SAWC system..
Old Jul 29, 2008, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

But all that can be null and void with the new SAWC system..
If you turn traction control completely off (hold ASC button) it turns off SAYC.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
isn't the only difference between tarmac, gravel and snow the clapping time/duration of the acd? not actual power distribution.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dek0026
isn't the only difference between tarmac, gravel and snow the clapping time/duration of the acd? not actual power distribution.
yes
Old Jul 29, 2008, 07:45 AM

At my first driving lesson at Texas World Speedway, an instructor in a F250 was all over my @$$ when I was driving an 02 Z06 Corvette. Never underestimate what a good driver can do in a car. Congrats on whooping up on those higher $$$ cars. Passing someone who spent more $$$ on their car than me always gave me a lot of satisfaction. Last time I was racing, I was in a $15k spec miata passing Corvette C6's, Mustang GT's and lost a long battle to a 911 turbo.

Nice pics

Thanks for posting the suggestion on the different modes.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
If you turn traction control completely off (hold ASC button) it turns off SAYC.
No it doesn't. You're completely wrong. ASC turns off ASC, AYC always stays on. I know this because my AYC broke one time, and I felt a lot of understeer. I always turn ASC completely off when I race.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99
No it doesn't. You're completely wrong. ASC turns off ASC, AYC always stays on. I know this because my AYC broke one time, and I felt a lot of understeer. I always turn ASC completely off when I race.
So let's make sure we're on the right page, because I'm getting all sorts of conflicting information from everywhere (including my dealer).

So you tell me.

1. Hit the ASC button, get "ASC Off" on the dash = ?

2. Hold the ASC button, get an exclamation point all over the place = ?

When the car is in 2 above, it "feels" quicker and definitely handles differently and is much livelier. Turning corners there doesn't feel to be any power drag on any wheels, where in #1 there is definitely some power drag happening.

Now I'm driving so I don't have time to stare (heck even glance) at the HUD to even see what's happening...

Quick Reply: Is Gravel Mode Faster Than Tarmac Mode??