Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Steering Wheel Hub Extender

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same issue here. Going aftermarket wheel is too expensive imho because you have to relocate the acd switch and cruize stuff if you have it. Plus you loose the air bag, also a no go on a daily driver imo.

I called around some race supply shops and no one makes one that will work with the factory wheel, at least that was the consensus I got.

In the end, I bought a kansi seat rail kit that raises the rear of the seat (adjustable from 1 - 2" I think). This helped a great deal with getting the proper seat position, as before I had to crank the seat back so far forward (when my legs were in the right position) that the head rest was past verticle and hitting me in the back of the head all the time, no way it would work with a helmet on.... With the seat physically raised in the back, the angle of the head rest is back to more verticle position now.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lowkey
Why could you not use the OEM s-wheel?
Bolt pattern, air bag, and wheel mounted controls. Not saying it's not possible, but I don't think anyone would touch the airbag with a 10 foot pole for fear of getting sued to heck and back if it no longer functioned properly.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

+1 on finding a solution to this. I'm to the point now where i'm used to this driving position, but its really just a compromise on all fronts (leg position and hand position). Would love to find a spacer of some sort.

Last edited by flagg77; Mar 8, 2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds good. Is there a gap between the wheel and the plastic column section now?
Old Mar 7, 2009, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Updates? Answers? Solutions?

Does anyone know any way to extend the steering wheel on the new Lancers without losing the airbag??? I'd seriously drop a grand on this right now if there were a way.

This might be heresy, but If the STI came in sedan I might have bought it over the Evo just to get the damn telescoping steering wheel. That car felt absolutely sloppy on the road compared to the Evo, but at least I was comfortable

On the Evo I have to pull my seat way forward to cut my wrists on the wheel. This means I have my knees up by the dash, which is probably not even safe if the lower airbags were to deploy. Also, if I want to keep my shoulders planted in the bolsters while turning like you should, I have to put the seatback so far forward it's almost beyond vertical, and it's killing my lower back on long trips.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cyniclaus
Updates? Answers? Solutions?

Does anyone know any way to extend the steering wheel on the new Lancers without losing the airbag??? I'd seriously drop a grand on this right now if there were a way.

This might be heresy, but If the STI came in sedan I might have bought it over the Evo just to get the damn telescoping steering wheel. That car felt absolutely sloppy on the road compared to the Evo, but at least I was comfortable

On the Evo I have to pull my seat way forward to cut my wrists on the wheel. This means I have my knees up by the dash, which is probably not even safe if the lower airbags were to deploy. Also, if I want to keep my shoulders planted in the bolsters while turning like you should, I have to put the seatback so far forward it's almost beyond vertical, and it's killing my lower back on long trips.
+1 Anyone able to find a way to extend the stock hub? I might just start praying that the (imaginary) 2010 X has a telescoping column that we could swap into ours.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 03:25 AM

I don't have a technical solution, so hope something comes up.

In the meanwhile, I'm 6'6, so maybe try this seating position (I know it won't be for everyone, but no harm in giving it a go) ...

.... seat all the way back and tilt the seat-back forward, so that it is a more upright than you are probably used to.

Being so upright probably isn't so great for long distances, but day to day I find that by supporting my shoulders further forward, it doesn't ache the arms. Also, the added bonus is that the side bolsters hold you in place better.

Also, the headrest is close behind your head, so in a crash there's hardly any movement (might stop whiplash a bit more).

I imagine it wouldn't be so good if you have a big gut or tight belt though !!
Old Mar 8, 2009, 08:32 AM

The steering on the previous generation (8/9) actually stuck out further and it was a more comfortable driving position, it was a step backwards in the 10. If someone makes a spacer it will sell well, I think. They can probably get around liability issues by labeling it "for offroad use only" or such.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FQStormTrooper
.... seat all the way back and tilt the seat-back forward, so that it is a more upright than you are probably used to.

Being so upright probably isn't so great for long distances, but day to day I find that by supporting my shoulders further forward, it doesn't ache the arms. Also, the added bonus is that the side bolsters hold you in place better.

Also, the headrest is close behind your head, so in a crash there's hardly any movement (might stop whiplash a bit more).

That's basically how I'm sitting now, and while it feels good initially and offers good control, it is killing my lower back because it places the molded lumbar support in the wrong place
Old Mar 8, 2009, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Maybe the ergonomics tester at Mitsu has really long arms?
Lol I think he's Stretch Armstrong.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Maybe the ergonomics tester at Mitsu has really long arms?
Underlines the consensus that mitshubishi are a bunch of monkeys
Old Mar 9, 2009, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FQStormTrooper
I don't have a technical solution, so hope something comes up.

In the meanwhile, I'm 6'6, so maybe try this seating position (I know it won't be for everyone, but no harm in giving it a go) ...

I'm 6' (ok, 5'11") and have a bit of a body on my frame and I have finally figured out a couple things that make driving the X infinitely more comfortable.

. set the seat up way more vertical than you do in other cars. There's lots of headroom, just do it
. put your butt all they way back, every time you get in
. take out your wallet if you have it in your back pocket (especially you Costanza types or big booty people like me). This makes an incredible difference in my lower back's comfort level.
. don't let anyone else f with your seat or wheel once you get it into a good position

All that said, I'd still like to be able to bring the wheel out about .5-1".
Old Mar 9, 2009, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

There is a guy out there with a CNC machine and some aluminum billets that needs to get on this lol!

One package is all you would need. It would come with 3-5 "shims" / spacers thick --> thin and you could dial in your own custom extension.

/drools of the thought of blue anodized (even though you would never see it lol) wheel spacers.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by flagg77
There is a guy out there with a CNC machine and some aluminum billets that needs to get on this lol!
I have the shop access and know-how (you don't need CNC, just a lathe and maybe a mill to drill eccentric holes) but I don't have the time to get something like this going. If someone wants to come up with some rough drawings that would help things. But honestly I'm hoping there's a company out there offering or working on a solution.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

A simple spacer wont work. The connectors behind the airbag will need to be extended as well plus this so called "spacer" must have splines that can align to the stock unit, if not, this will trigger the steering wheel angle sensor which causes your S-AWC to turn off.

Quick Reply: Evo X Steering Wheel Hub Extender