Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Steering Wheel Hub Extender

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2008, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Evo X Steering Wheel Hub Extender

Just got my new Evo X MR. Great car, but having difficulty finding the correct driving position. I find when I adjust the seat to the proper leg distance, the steering wheel is too far away. It does not hit the bend in my wrist, but at a point where the fingers bend when I sit back into the seat. If I move the seat closer, the pedals are too close and my leg behind the knee is not at all supported.

I have done a search here and found nothing. It appears that the stock mounting location is a single spline attachment. Is there anyway to use a MOMO hub extender with six screw mounting or any other spacer?
Old Sep 13, 2008, 03:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by smgevo
Just got my new Evo X MR. Great car, but having difficulty finding the correct driving position. I find when I adjust the seat to the proper leg distance, the steering wheel is too far away. It does not hit the bend in my wrist, but at a point where the fingers bend when I sit back into the seat. If I move the seat closer, the pedals are too close and my leg behind the knee is not at all supported.

I have done a search here and found nothing. It appears that the stock mounting location is a single spline attachment. Is there anyway to use a MOMO hub extender with six screw mounting or any other spacer?
I have the same issue... wish it was a telescoping wheel! If I find any info I will post it here, and you do the same. Keep in mind the paddle shifters are not mounted on the wheel, and thus would be farther away from your fingertips... so we don't want too much of a spacer.

Keith
Old Sep 13, 2008, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I need about a 2" spacer to be comfortable. Let me know if you come up with something

My wife's 7" shorter than me and has the same issue. Maybe the ergonomics tester at Mitsu has really long arms?
Old Sep 13, 2008, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+ 1

Another couple of inches would be great. I'll get used to it but it would be nice to have the steering wheel come out a bit.

I wonder if reads these forums..if they do then they will know to;

Make Telescoping steering wheels
Fix the Hood Latches/Cables
Fix the gas pedals
Lean these suckers out a bit
Figure out a way to stop paint chips without forcing aero kits or mudflaps
Better Batteries
Factory Boost guage would be SWEET!! Add an A/F as well !!
etc....

Last edited by Fatalwishes; Sep 13, 2008 at 05:53 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

I think placing the paddles on the column is much better than on the wheel, however being a manual tranny guy for years, I prefer to shift with the console shifter, so I am not too concerned with loosing the proximity of the paddles in order to bring the wheel closer. I am glad I am not the only one who finds this problematic. I will talk to a few others and see if we can take the wheel off and see what is there.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Allrighty then!

With a simple google search I have found the following:

2" spacer from Grant, $26.79 :

http://www.ekeystonemax.com/images/0...s/G19/4000.jpg

1" spacer from Grant $26.79 :

http://www.ekeystonemax.com/images/0...s/G19/4001.jpg

Spacer from Sparco size unknown $109.66 :

http://www.ekeystonemax.com/images/0...ringSpacer.jpg

All available from this site:

http://www.archcartpro.com/users/aut...&Vendor=&Year=

Keith
Old Sep 13, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

The grant won't work. Grant is only for Grant.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the attempt. I don't know if the five or six bolt pattern will fit the Evo. I have used the Sparco and MOMO hub adapters in the past and are familiar with them. It they work, that would be great, but there is no way I believe to attach the Evo steering wheel to the six bolt holes in the adapter.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
The grant won't work. Grant is only for Grant.
What are you talking about?

Look under mitsubishi on that site and it gives two options for steering wheel spacers. Grant and sparco.

Keith
Old Sep 14, 2008, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the attempt. I don't know if the five or six bolt pattern will fit the Evo. I have used the Sparco and MOMO hub adapters in the past and are familiar with them. It they work, that would be great, but there is no way I believe to attach the Evo steering wheel to the six bolt holes in the adapter.
There's a thread on the how to section. Is about blutooth and radio controls there are pictures of a dissasemble steering wheel.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
What are you talking about?

Look under mitsubishi on that site and it gives two options for steering wheel spacers. Grant and sparco.

Keith
What I'm talking about is that grant extensions only work with GRANT wheels, not the OEM wheel.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 02:30 PM

Has anybody already found a solution for that or already installed?

I need a solution very much for such a sh.. driving position. Here in Germany it is even more difficult to find parts for the Evo.

Thanks for any help.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:21 PM

Guys, same isuse, here's my fix. Bought a Sparco hub (thanks to Eric at AMS for specifics), a MOMO wheel and a 2" sparco spacer. I installed the hub last night and will put the wheel on tonight and test it. Looks like I'll gain about 2". I did find another 1" spacer if needed. Problems are; the air bag and cruise control lights are on, I have to relocate the AWS switch, and the horn doesn't work. maybe some of these things can be fixed....but they're pretty electical for my basic skills. Happy to help via my email clay@ljde.com
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:18 AM

Got the new wheel and spacer on last night. Fits fine and I gained a little less than 2" from stock. I measured the stock wheel at 4 3/8" off the steering column. Mine is now at 6 1/8". I'm 6' with long legs and a shorter torso so this setup is working great. Looks much better and feels better on the road. I just need to get rid of the air bag and cruise light, maybe hook up the horn and relocate the AWS to the left dash with the new MR AWS switch. If any of you know how to do the above? it sure would help.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fstclyz
Got the new wheel and spacer on last night. Fits fine and I gained a little less than 2" from stock. I measured the stock wheel at 4 3/8" off the steering column. Mine is now at 6 1/8". I'm 6' with long legs and a shorter torso so this setup is working great. Looks much better and feels better on the road. I just need to get rid of the air bag and cruise light, maybe hook up the horn and relocate the AWS to the left dash with the new MR AWS switch. If any of you know how to do the above? it sure would help.
Why could you not use the OEM s-wheel?

Quick Reply: Evo X Steering Wheel Hub Extender