Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Steering Wheel Hub Extender

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MR Dan
A simple spacer wont work. The connectors behind the airbag will need to be extended as well plus this so called "spacer" must have splines that can align to the stock unit, if not, this will trigger the steering wheel angle sensor which causes your S-AWC to turn off.

I was just going to mention this.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

We're not alone

So, I just went to Google to see if Mitsubishi offers telescoping steering in any of their other vehicles and found this: http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2...r-sailors.html. So much for the transplant idea.

and
Old Mar 31, 2009, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump for solution, I got my MR about a month ago and I still don't have a good driving position. HELP!
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:20 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mendo
Bump for solution, I got my MR about a month ago and I still don't have a good driving position. HELP!
You can bump all you want... there is no current solution.

It will take someone time and money to actually manufacture a solution for this.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

I raised the front of my seat by an inch using spacers. It helped, but is definitely not the preferred solution. I still haven't decided if it is worth keeping the car for the long term but if I do, I will most likely get an aftermarket wheel--airbag be damned. The main thing that keeps me from doing that is the scenario that--knock on wood--I'm in an accident and the insurance won't cover my injuries because I tampered with factory safety equipment.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 08:16 PM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
i will have my X this weekend or next monday and if i have issue i will remedy it and offer a fix. we will see
Old Apr 2, 2009, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wait no longer! Just got the modification done and it works like a charm. Had 20mm custom titanium plates intalled between the humerus and ulna. Takes some getting used to. If I did it again, I would make sure you shim the radius as well, for full range of motion lock to lock.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smgevo
Wait no longer! Just got the modification done and it works like a charm. Had 20mm custom titanium plates intalled between the humerus and ulna. Takes some getting used to. If I did it again, I would make sure you shim the radius as well, for full range of motion lock to lock.
I spoke to a machine shop yesterday about doing it, so if none of the above has something for us in the near future I'm going come up with my own.
Old May 27, 2009, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stokEd
I spoke to a machine shop yesterday about doing it, so if none of the above has something for us in the near future I'm going come up with my own.
Are people still interested in having a steering wheel hub extender? I'm taking a look at the hub today to see what can be done. I've already talked to a machine shop that's willing to come up with a few prototypes, but I need to know if other people are still interested as having a single part made would cost me more than I'm willing to invest. Let me know guys.
Old May 28, 2009, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Are people still interested in having a steering wheel hub extender? I'm taking a look at the hub today to see what can be done. I've already talked to a machine shop that's willing to come up with a few prototypes, but I need to know if other people are still interested as having a single part made would cost me more than I'm willing to invest. Let me know guys.
Yes - still highly interested, assuming the solution allows retention of the factory AB. It's my biggest complaint with the car. My raised seat solution is not only a poor substitute but has safety concerns...and it makes me feel like I'm driving a very fast, corner carving bus
Old May 28, 2009, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cyniclaus
Yes - still highly interested, assuming the solution allows retention of the factory AB. It's my biggest complaint with the car. My raised seat solution is not only a poor substitute but has safety concerns...and it makes me feel like I'm driving a very fast, corner carving bus
Yes, whatever I come up with would retain all factory functionality e.g. S-AWC switch, airbag, ... I'm also going to take a look at the seat and see if there's a way of lowering a centimeter or so (I'm need it lower, I know some want the opposite.)
Old May 28, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I want the seat to go down and the hub to come out. But not for $200/per like the HKS rails are lol.
Old May 28, 2009, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
I'm 6' (ok, 5'11") and have a bit of a body on my frame and I have finally figured out a couple things that make driving the X infinitely more comfortable.

. set the seat up way more vertical than you do in other cars. There's lots of headroom, just do it
. put your butt all they way back, every time you get in
. take out your wallet if you have it in your back pocket (especially you Costanza types or big booty people like me). This makes an incredible difference in my lower back's comfort level.
. don't let anyone else f with your seat or wheel once you get it into a good position

All that said, I'd still like to be able to bring the wheel out about .5-1".
Helmet won't fit well at all with the seatback that far forward... I'm going to have to replace my seat before I do a trackday in the X, alreayd tried getting a driveable position with helmet on and it's not possible for me..

They REALLY need to do a telescoping column on these bad boys.
Old May 28, 2009, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

I'm interested as well, and I already have the hks seat rails
Old May 28, 2009, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mad_VIII
Helmet won't fit well at all with the seatback that far forward... I'm going to have to replace my seat before I do a trackday in the X, alreayd tried getting a driveable position with helmet on and it's not possible for me..

They REALLY need to do a telescoping column on these bad boys.
I wear a helmet all the time in my X and it does bang around in a couple spots (oh **** handle and the "bump" in the roof by the visor). It would be great to get the seat lower by an inch or two.

Quick Reply: Evo X Steering Wheel Hub Extender