Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Trailer hitch for EVO X, need help

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2009, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are you guys serious???....... it's an evo
Old May 8, 2009, 10:47 AM

My original intent to get a hitch or tow bar in Europe, was to save cost from buying a roof rack to carry my bike. I did some quick calculations on the cost of one set, and came up with a $400 price tag.

In addition to the cost, when I helped my friend to mount a roof rack for his skis and snowboard on his Jetta, the Q towers scratched the paint off his Jetta after two trips. We spent a good deal of time installing, adding clear film, trying to avoid any damage, but it just didn't work well. That experience just led me to search for a trailer hitch solution for the EVO.

On a side nte, for the new STI, a good friend of mine searched, and found a compatible hitch, from the Forester accessory list, he was able to install it just fine. This has been posted many times in the land of the OZ.

At the end of the day, as the numbers of EVO X owners grow, I hope some brave souls or company will come up with a affordable and reliable solution to tow my bike. Without any cutting, drilling, or wielding! hahaha
Old May 8, 2009, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

I have a killer hitch on my evo 8. I carry around up to 4 bikes at one time. No issues.
Works great. Just last weekend I did the MS150 ride down to Key Largo, FL from Miami. Everyone was checking the car out with the bikes on it.

Works great & the hitch only weighs in at 14 pounds. Its pretty hidden also, so when the rack is off the car you wouldnt know anything is different.

I thought about a roof rack, but there really is not a good way of putting one on. No rain gutters on the roof, etc.
To risky if you ask me.

Just my 2 cents.

PM me if you want to see some pictures.

Last edited by Gusl; May 8, 2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gusl
I have a killer hitch on my evo 8. I carry around up to 4 bikes at one time. No issues.
Works great. Just last weekend I did the MS150 ride down to Key Largo, FL from Miami. Everyone was checking the car out with the bikes on it.

Works great & the hitch only weighs in at 14 pounds. Its pretty hidden also, so when the rack is off the car you wouldnt know anything is different.

I thought about a roof rack, but there really is not a good way of putting one on. No rain gutters on the roof, etc.
To risky if you ask me.

Just my 2 cents.

PM me if you want to see some pictures.
Damn, now I really want a hitch... POST some pics, so we can dream about it! Did you do any drilling? Or wielding?
Old May 8, 2009, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

None. its a direct bolt on. Took me 10 mins to install. Works freaking sweet.
I would not recommend towing anything more than a few race tires & some fuel around behind the car with a small trailer but for mountain or road bikes, you cant beat it.

I love it.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:26 AM

Where did you get your hitch? Maybe I can get hack saw, and cut parts of it off to fit between that dual exhaust in the X. hahaha
Old May 8, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...uestion-2.html

Check this out. I know you guys have Evo Xs. Not sure about those, but for the 8s & 9s here you go.
Old May 10, 2009, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
Read the thread, he wants to use it for a bike rack
yourself. If you get a hitch your powertrain warranty is gone. No negotiations. I can just see someone at the dealership saying "but I just used it for a bike rack!"

Not saying don't do it, just know what you're getting into...
Old May 10, 2009, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Do you actually think I have warranty on my car anyway?

Originally Posted by scarryy
yourself. If you get a hitch your powertrain warranty is gone. No negotiations. I can just see someone at the dealership saying "but I just used it for a bike rack!"

Old May 10, 2009, 04:11 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

Mitsubishi offers a hitch for the Evo X in Australia and Asia, but they are over $600 shipped here to the US.

I designed and fabbed up a hitch for my Evo X. It bolts on using the mounting points for the rear tow hooks (which are the same points used by the aftermarket hitches for the other Lancers), fits around the muffler nicely, and positions the receiver behind the license plate so it is completely hidden unless you are using it. Once I figured out the design it was very easy to put together and cost ~$75 total. No bending required, just a couple cuts and welds. One of these days I plan on taking some pics and posting the plans in case someone else wants to make one.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by JWA
Mitsubishi offers a hitch for the Evo X in Australia and Asia, but they are over $600 shipped here to the US.

I designed and fabbed up a hitch for my Evo X. It bolts on using the mounting points for the rear tow hooks (which are the same points used by the aftermarket hitches for the other Lancers), fits around the muffler nicely, and positions the receiver behind the license plate so it is completely hidden unless you are using it. Once I figured out the design it was very easy to put together and cost ~$75 total. No bending required, just a couple cuts and welds. One of these days I plan on taking some pics and posting the plans in case someone else wants to make one.
I looked for many months looking for hitches from Australia and Asia, for design references, and found none. Do you a link for this accessories? Because I don't remember it being sold as a official mitsu/rallyart or aftermarket part... Maybe I am missed something in my research.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by scarryy

From a legal perspective, there are many loopholes in the powertrain warranty for mitsu not to honor it. From my perspective, over 90% of evo owners put some form of hard mod on there vehicle without the intent of voiding their warranty. It can as simple as using a off brand oil cap. This happens ALL the time.

Besides, towing a bike, with rack, both weights no more than 60 Ibs, or 27 kg (for our kiwi, ozzie, and european readers), will not put too much stress on the powertrain. Unless I am towing this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...31728038065702

hahhaah
Old May 11, 2009, 07:26 AM
JWA
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nicekyo
I looked for many months looking for hitches from Australia and Asia, for design references, and found none. Do you a link for this accessories? Because I don't remember it being sold as a official mitsu/rallyart or aftermarket part... Maybe I am missed something in my research.
I know that I saw it in the Australian accessories brochure, but I don't see it listed on their weird Flash site that they have for Evo accessories now. They do have a listing for a towbar for the other Lancers, which proves that they consider the chassis strong enough for 200lbs of tongue weight or to pull up to 2,000lbs: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/...s.aspx?id=3121

As for the powertrain warranty argument for using a hitch-mounted bike rack, there is no way that they could win that in court as you are still under the GVWR and they would not make the same argument if you were to put 100lbs in the trunk or the same bikes on a trunk-mount bike rack. For that matter, they do not sell a roof rack here in the US either, so roof racks would also void it by that rationale.

Last edited by JWA; May 11, 2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old May 11, 2009, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by JWA
I know that I saw it in the Australian accessories brochure, but I don't see it listed on their weird Flash site that they have for Evo accessories now. They do have a listing for a towbar for the other Lancers, which proves that they consider the chassis strong enough for 200lbs of tongue weight or to pull up to 2,000lbs: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/...s.aspx?id=3121

As for the powertrain warranty argument for using a hitch-mounted bike rack, there is no way that they could win that in court as you are still under the GVWR and they would not make the same argument if you were to put 100lbs in the trunk or the same bikes on a trunk-mount bike rack. For that matter, they do not sell a roof rack here in the US either, so roof racks would also void it by that rationale.
Yea, I saw the "towbar" package too, I think the reason they don't make one for the EVO X, aside from warrenty issues, is the bumper, it's in the way! haha, I guess the @$$ is too fat. Over at curt, or any other generic hitch shop, they also make one for the lancer sedan.

I really like the EVO site from new zealand, why can't we have a nice site?!

In any case, the search continues!
Old May 11, 2009, 12:50 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

The Curt, Draw-tite, and Hidden Hitch options don't fit because the Evo and RalliArt's muffler is in the way. I ordered the Draw-tite because they mistakenly listed it as fitting the RalliArt, which now has the same exhaust system as the Evo.

I'll try to get some pics and clean up the plans for the one that I built this week some time. Any machine shop could build it for you easily, or you could do it all with simple shop tools and have it welded up somewhere.

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch for EVO X, need help