Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Trailer hitch for EVO X, need help

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2009, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA
The Curt, Draw-tite, and Hidden Hitch options don't fit because the Evo and RalliArt's muffler is in the way. I ordered the Draw-tite because they mistakenly listed it as fitting the RalliArt, which now has the same exhaust system as the Evo.

I'll try to get some pics and clean up the plans for the one that I built this week some time. Any machine shop could build it for you easily, or you could do it all with simple shop tools and have it welded up somewhere.
Good luck.

I started out with looking for a $100 hitch, installing myself, couldn't find it, called around some shops, quoted around $400-$700. Even in this economy, shops are still trying to rip you off.
Old May 11, 2009, 01:31 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nicekyo
Good luck.

I started out with looking for a $100 hitch, installing myself, couldn't find it, called around some shops, quoted around $400-$700. Even in this economy, shops are still trying to rip you off.
They are quoting for all of the time to measure and design the hitch, and probably assuming that it will have to be fairly complex. I bought all of the materials for under $75, and then you should need a max of $50 worth of welding done (a friend did it for me for free).
Old May 14, 2009, 02:43 PM

A reply from a UK Shop, Watling, http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/

Earlier, I wrote a email asking for a tow bar solution for the evo X, here is their reply:

Dear XXXXX,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I believe the chassis is the same on the X
as the VIII but there may be differences in the valance and trim at the back
which means that bits of the bumper may need to be modified. Unfortunately
we have not seen one here at our workshops to compare or make notes as yet.

Kind Regards,

Ben XXXX

Watling Engineers Ltd.
88 Park Street Village
St. Albans
Herts
AL2 2LR

Tel: +44 (0)1727 873661
Fax: +44 (0)1727 875029
www.watling-towbars.co.uk

Watling Engineers Ltd. is a company registered in England no. 414237 VAT
No. 196822229

I knew the EVO X had a wider fatter @$$, hahahahah.
Old May 14, 2009, 04:57 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

They're way off though. The Evo X shares nothing with the Evo VIII. It is a completely new chassis and rear subframe. What they have for the older chassis definitely will not fit.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

If anyone in this thread is still around. I'd love to see some hitch installs!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:27 AM

Working on a custom one as we speak, taking forever, I don't have access to a shop, and work has been keeping me busy. Surprised no one has came up with a solution.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 06:05 AM
JWA
Evolving Member

Funny that you should bump this thread today. I just traded in my Evo X yesterday, and will be listing the hitch for sale. I took a bunch of pics before I removed it. I'll get them uploaded and post the details here in the next few days.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 02:58 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

I just wrote up the details on the construction of the hitch that I made and posted detailed pics here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...ormal-use.html
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:09 PM
Account Disabled

lin or nicekyo tel everyone in here i got one for you guys we made it. for the evo x. thanks to nicekyo we have been working on this secretly lol. but we have one just need to bepainted and shipped to lin (nicekyo) let us know the feedback. we will ship by next week by the way this is also the company making the
evo x new tow hook
from tmfmotorsports.com
were done with the tow hook. now the hitch thanks all and nicekyo for his research thanks...
sales@tmfmotorsports.com

Last edited by firstaltevox; Sep 15, 2009 at 06:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:48 AM

Hello guys, I apologize in advance for raising this dead thread again. After many members gave me encouragement and leads to a hitch solution, I thought everyone should check this out. After two years of searching, since I bought my ride, a shop came up with a hitch solution. There were other homebrew solutions before, but none have never meet my expectations of safety, stealth, and easy install/removal (for warranty purposes of course, ). I think Gary meet two of the goals.

Ideally, I would've liked to be able to install it myself without removing the exhaust and the bumper. But nonetheless, I am sure most of you are more resourceful than me in mods. More importantly, I don't have time! If any kick@$$ shop around the sfbayarea would like to volunteer their time, hook me up! haha.

If anyone is interested, check out the pics, and the link above this post tmf.... Just get rid of the @ part.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer hitch for EVO X, need help-.jpg   Trailer hitch for EVO X, need help-b.jpg   Trailer hitch for EVO X, need help-c.jpg   Trailer hitch for EVO X, need help-d.jpg   Trailer hitch for EVO X, need help-e.jpg  

Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:41 AM

This thing looks pretty sweet. i got connected to the manufacturer of these things. Now i have one on my car. The install time was about 40 minutes. no drilling and or modifying anything.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So where can you get one? Cost?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by goofygrin
I didn't see this earlier, apparently, they updated their website:

REMOVED

ADDED:
Text Gary for more info:
(630) 470-8344

He is the dude that hooked it up.

Last edited by nicekyo; Mar 17, 2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Removed URL for moderator.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by goofygrin
you can just text that number above or call them, i think. I saw these guys yesterday and they had them in stock. they told me that they are selling them now for $285 out the door. You just have to pay for the shipping

Last edited by joshjarjac; Mar 19, 2010 at 06:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 17, 2010, 01:03 PM
Cyp
Evolving Member

Wow, I'm really interested in this!! Will this hitch be able to tow a small UHaul trailer with a motorcycle on it??

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch for EVO X, need help